Mounting Daytona Rear Bumpers | FerrariChat

Mounting Daytona Rear Bumpers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bighitter2, Jul 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    The few original paint/unrestored examples I’ve studied or worked on haven’t featured any padding between the body & outer (rear) bumper brackets, but adding a neatly trimmed, rectangular, thin sheet of (black) rubber will not hurt and will likely go unnoticed by most observers.

christc likes this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    inside of bumpers were never painted. bare metal only.
    deduction at a show if caught

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #4 TTR, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    That “never” can be dangerously misleading claim...
    ... not to mention often difficult to prove or verify.

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I don't think they were painted on the inside, just came as unfinished chrome, painting is not a bad idea though as it will help to preserve them.

6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting if that bumper is original to a Euro; looks more like a US/UK-spec (extra bracing, and no reverse light).

7. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    These were NOS in the Ferrari box bumpers purchased over 30 years ago..had to have them re chromed even though they were new, as they had ‘Factory’ waves in the chrome, the insides were so rough with hammer marks from new we opted to paint to keep them from rusting from the inside ( which they were doing) even though ‘almost’ never wet ...the black also helps hide the rough metal work on the inside...and yes these are US bumpers on a Euro car...they fit very close to the body the only time you actually see inside the bumpers is when its up on a lift...

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    so factory bumpers still in box and unpainted?

9. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Will have to check with the people that restored the car, i bought it done 21 years ago..but if i remember correctly i believe they said they were not painted

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Recently came into possession of a really rough rear bumper that gives every appearance of being original; clearly from a non-USA car, as it has the reverse-light brackets on it.

While a lot of the surface has rust over it (and bolts rusted/seized, and/or previously broken off), it is pretty clear that it was painted grey on the inside surfaces, and on the "hook" bracket. Tubular bracket is painted black.

I can't tell what the finished on the bolts/washers were, because there is nothing left but rust... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login