Removal of the large under-body floor tray panel #22 60059607? | FerrariChat

Removal of the large under-body floor tray panel #22 60059607?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Du_Man, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Not sure of other posts describing the process, but removal is fairly straight forward. Drill out all the rivets that secure it and then start to pull it away from the chassis. There is a mastic compound they also used to "glue" it in place, I'm assuming to stop potential rattles etc. I just used a blade to work my way around it.

When fitting the new one, I placed the old one on top of the new one and marked where the rivet holes were, so they could be pre drilled prior to fitting to the chassis. I used new mastic along the chassis tubes. Two people make it easier to hold the new one up to the floor while re riveting.

waymar likes this.
  3. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    You can look thru the pix in my outlaw 308 thread, you can see what’s under there, nothing mechanical

4. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I know that famous post! I'll revisit it!

5. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Thanks, Richard! With this car, I really should not be afraid of riveting! I wasn't sure if anyone came back in with screws.

6. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    totally not original, but you could replace with riv nuts to make it easier to remove in the future.

8. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    I drilled and tapped the rivet holes in the chassis tube and refitted with small (possibly m3) Allen bolts. No need for rivnuts. In fact; I would doubt rivnuts would fit along the central oval tube which takes the radiator coolant pipes. Bey careful not to damage the same pipes if you go down that route- if they are original they are aluminium.

9. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    [​IMG]
    This excellent image from Vonbarron's post shows no need for access unless to inspect/repair the fiberglass panels/frame/etc.

I think the next person to pull off my panel (after me) to inspect the undercarriage may not be born yet. Mastic and new rivets seem to be the answer.

10. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And lots of thermal and sound insulation on the fiberglass right? RIGHT???

11. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I see Lizardskin in my future......sound and heat.

Saabguy likes this.
  12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I have a mostly unused tub of it if you want it. Just pay shipping. I bought it to touch up coating on fuel tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Thanks, Kiwiokie, I appreciate the offer! I will send you a message tomorrow!

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had to get mine off to fix a leak to the heater core where the coolant line "y"s off....I recall the brake balance pressure switch there?

Mine was held on by bolts so someone had already "drilled and tapped" the mounting holes...

15. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for posting this question, Du_Man, as I was wondering the same. In my case, an ace mechanic who knows 20-30 years ago positioned a front jack pad not quite on the tube and the aluminum nearby is pressed up. I may just peel back that corner and flatten it out in-situ versus removing the whole pan. I do love the ease of working on tube-frame cars versus unibodies!

By the way, Du_Man, your "lift" wins the absolute highest safety award!

16. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I think this is the brake pressure switch next to the 2 radiator pipes entering into the tunnel?

17. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek

Thanks, Alex.....my car cribs are a lifesaver. I can throw the wife's car out of the garage on the weekend and roll the red beauty around on casters to the center of the garage. Plus I hate working under a car with a greasy unibrow....I'm not 20 years old anymore. I think I will reposition the front 2 cribs more forward - then I can access/remove the center floor panel.

18. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just make sure no one decides to play Jenga with them!

Du_Man likes this.
  19. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    FWIW - I thought I would put a bow on this post by adding my photos of removing the underbody for future reference.

not bad shape but the corner edges need some love.

Removed panel - not sure that I want to restore - seen better days but served its life well.

Rust is minimal - I am shocked at the basically no insulation protection. But I'm in awe of seeing the crude Italian framework/welding/fiberglass/tubing! Glorious! How did we survive in the '80s!

Now I need to go find the old post that questioned the drain hoses in the front fender wells. I remember reading about it.

I think the old post addressed how the rubber drain pipe exited the inner fender well. I see no proper exit hole on this driver-side panel. The passenger side is just as bad.....mangled and abused inside corners.