Is this the crappiest season ever? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Is this the crappiest season ever?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Crappiest?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For only one race, don't exagerate.
    The FIA wanted that fiasco to justify the forthcoming tyre rules.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This season is going far better than I ever expected.
    I initially thought it would be a complete fiasco, and I don't mind to say that I was wrong.
    Now, we have to see how it goes for the rest of the year, but I am now quite optimistic.

A348W and tifosi12 like this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, so far races have been a bit interesting because of mixed weather and safety cars, but not much more. The championship is already decided, there is only some interest in seeing what team is 3rd. Let´s not also forget that the calendar is provisional, we still can end with an aborted championship of 10 races that ends in september.

So the race for crappiest season ever is still open.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo!

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Takes a man to admit he was wrong.

I'm very optimistic, except for the audience at the Russian GP. That's too soon but then again, that's Russia's problem.

I cant wait to see F1 in the new Imola circuit and at Mugello. Those are historic events that would have never happened had it not been for the current situation. There is always a silver lining.

As things stand we have 10 Euro races confirmed plus the 3 in the Middle East. That's only two short of the required 15 to dole out the $ to all the teams assuring their financial survival (well to a degree). I'm sure Liberty finds those two races for October somewhere. One might be even Hockenheim.

william likes this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Fiat - Gianni Angelli told the Old Man he would not increase his subsidy if he continued in both ... and that F-1 was more valuable to Italy and FIAT than Sports Car racing. as you may remember Championship for Makes ended in 74 - and really became the interseries... and only LeMans really survived until Group C in the early 80's was revived.... in 73 in sports cars they had a mixed year against Alfa and Matra and Renault at LeMans... in 72 they won every race they entered... but did not race at LeMans... in 73 - they raced at LeMans and all cars broke very early... but it really was the combo of FIAT pressure on subsidy.. they were not going to pay more for all the racing ( Enzo was using 1/4th for LeMans & sports cars and the rest for F-1 ... and traditionally would not get going in F-1 until after LeMans ) and the political unrest in Italy during the early 70's - Communist strikes ( Brigalle Rosso), and Enzo's inital bout of kidney disease.... caused the decision to concentrate on F-1... both Shell and Goodyear would not increase their "subsidy" to Ferrari for Sports Cars.. so he scrapped it all....

David Piper told me a story that in 75 he was at Maranello to get some parts for a Daytona competition, and he saw in the Foriano shop, 3 - 312PB's all covered up in the corner with spares just stacked on top. he enquired if they were for sale, and eventually the old man said $50K for everything, and he did not have the money, so I think Jaques Swaters eventualy bought the rest, and then sold the cars off. he said he also passed on a 312 coupe for $6K (UK Pounds ) ....

william likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    OUCH!

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I found the second race rather boring, and as I watched, I found it that way because of being the same venue 2 races in a row.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I know... not that it is the best Ferrari sports car out there... but it would be cool to have one. but it was still a lot of money back in the day.

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I don’t like one team being completely dominant (Ferrari included) and I don’t like a 20 car grid (or 18 if you know what I mean).
    During the MP4/4 era, at least the dominant team had two recognized phenoms who were out to prove who was ultimately THE BEST, so at least it was enjoyable on that level.
    We used to conduct a pool in the stands with 24/26 fans participating. $10 to get in and you’d pick a driver out of the hat. The pool winner had the driver who finished fifth. Almost EVERYONE thought they had a shot at winning $250/$230.
    Good luck trying to arrange something similar in the last few years. No one is interested.
    This stuff is acid rain, imho.

Bas, Sharknose and 375+ like this.
  11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely this.

After Rosberg left Mercedes brought in a lapdog for Lewis.

And of course, the FIA doesn't stick it's beak in to handicap rival teams each time they come a bit close...

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#87 DF1, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Worst season?? No - this season is about Team!!!! Lando Norris has the SPIRIT!!!!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150757/norris-teams-must-help-ease-strain-on-track-staff

Lando Norris says teams must do everything they can to help protect engineers and mechanics from the brutal impact of Formula 1's compressed schedule this year.

The young Briton, who was spotted helping his team strip down his car after the Hungarian Grand Prix, insists it is not drivers who face the most difficult stress from a run of nine races in 11 weeks.

Instead, he says that efforts need to be made to ensure that other personnel - who face much longer hours - are not burned out by everything that is being thrown at them.

That is why he elected to help his crew out on Sunday night at the Hungaroring, knowing that any assistance he could give would take some strain off them.

"For the drivers it's not too bad, you know," he said, when asked about the impact of the current packed calendar.

"In some ways we do the least amount of work in terms of being at the track as in driving the actual race car, compared to the time mechanics spend working on the car and building it and management, or the engineers spend at the racetrack.

"So honestly, for us, and for me, anyway, I feel like I'm fit enough that I can go out and do the race and I'm not completely dead after it and feeling like it's going to take ages to recover.

"So I'm not that concerned, you know, from my side."

Race done ✔️
    Day isn't over ❌

Lando joined his crew to help strip his car before it heads back to McLaren HQ. ??#HungarianGP ?? pic.twitter.com/ckNqUey9UL

— McLaren (@MclarenF1) July 19, 2020
    Norris is aware, however, that jobs for team personnel are much harder this year: with social distancing complicating tasks, and the curfew hours having been extended from what was originally planned.

"Honestly, it is tougher for the engineers and the mechanics because they're the guys and girls who spend the most time at the track working and travelling," he said.

"It's more of a kind of trying to look after them and keep them in good condition: especially the mechanics who are doing the pit stops and so on.

"They also have a big impact on performance.

"They also are the guys who can bring us overtakes and if you have good pitstops it can gain us positions and things like that.

"So, it's trying to keep everyone in the best shape possible.

"For me, I'm fine, but it's more of a question for them and I'm trying to look after them and keep them in the best condition."

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I like Lando a lot. Vettel did similar...incredibly it was post winning the (2013?) title in India...instead of drinking himself halfway to a coma on a private jet...Vettel was pictured at the track hours later helping the team pack the trucks!

This season still sucks.

Isobel and Igor Ound like this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I am happy F1 is back - Norris sends a good reminder of what matters

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If Mercedes wasn't there we'd actually be having a decent season. Ferrari still tripping over their own feet however...

Saying that, It would probably be a walk over by Max, but he doesn't appear to be in the best car, but he is doing the best job.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, Tom, I believe one of the Ferraris finished second. But it was a poor year in both F1 and sports cars and I wasn't surprised when Ferrari quit one of them.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That´s correct, they were 2nd with Merzario/Pace, IIRC.

They built a 312 PB for the 74 season but it didn´t race in the end. I don´t know if that car still exist.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Isobel and 375+ like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Let's hope not. Some funky aero going on, check out that airbox.

Isobel likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    But

This season still sucks.

20. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    DF1 and 375+ like this.
  21. garrobitto

garrobitto Karting

Jul 12, 2020
    Alameda
    Full Name:
    Garrobito Alado
    Luca de Montezolo: "
    Ferrari must take "courageous decisions" or risk losing more than just the 2020 world championship.
    That is the warning of former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who told Rai radio that "this season is lost" for the famous Maranello based team.
    He said: "This season is lost, but the next ones are at risk. Courageous decisions are needed on the organization because (Mattia) Binotto is, in fact, alone."
    Crappiest session I remember... I think will stop paying F1.tv until next year...