80’s 911 to Testarossa | FerrariChat

80’s 911 to Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi,

I’m very close to picking up a long awaited Testarossa.

My only classic car experience is my current 1986 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera.

I would love to hear from a few people who’ve had experience driving both. I love the 3.2 Carrera, however I’m intrigued to know if the Testarossa is as difficult to drive... i.e - heavy unforgiving heart box, etc

2. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Not so very different in my experience. Both have lots of grip. Once you get beyond the limits they are very difficult to stabilize. 911 probably easier to learn on the limit (dry road). Mid engined TR extremely hard to get back on track. Rain (Aquaplaning) easier with TR due to factory locking diff (torque differences smaller between left and right) and weight distribution (911 engine behind rear axle is a total disaster in rain; ask me how I know). Torque of TR very linear and turbine like. Shifting of TR much more precise. Brakes better on 911. Seating position is much lower on TR.

Rose Red likes this.
  3. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great, thank you for this, much appreciated

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Testarossa feels MUCH bigger. The 911 (I had an 85 for about 20 years, now have a 75) is just much more nimble, and easier to know where the corners are. It's great on a tight twisty road. The Testarossa, while it can do tight twisty roads, is great on the open highway. Very different experience.

Basically, in an urban environment, the 911 is much easier and nicer to drive. But on the open road, the opposite is true.

5. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks, which has an easier gear change?

Rose Red likes this.
  6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would say Testarossa, although it depends on the condition of the clutch. The 911 gearbox is famously vague, Testarossa much less so, but as I recall, the clutch is a bit heaver and trickier in the Testarossa. It's been a long time since I've driven a Testarossa, though.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yeah my TR felt best on backroads with reasonable curves but not too tight, hairpin and everything with no steering assist gets annoying !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    NO, this is only for your fitness. other go to gym and do exercise, you sit in your car for doing ;)

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk