My Ferrari Experience | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Ferrari Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gary Sandberg, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Just to clarify, my idea on the chassis was that the engine was a stressed member of the chasses - common the F1 cars of the 60's and 70's and needless to say, the way most tractors work.

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice drawings. I liked drafting in HS but by then it was obvious that science & tech not art & design was what I wanted to do. Keep the pics coming Gary!
    T

4. Gary Sandberg

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Gary Sandberg

tomc and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. Gary Sandberg

In the meantime, I had also sent some drawings of the Design Phase 5 and 6 to Ferrari and while I seem to misplaced that letter, the suggestion was to consider concealed headlamps as part of the design.

Tomorrow I'll post the Ferrari response to all of the above and present the final design.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Really cool stuff! That’s why I love this forum!

tomc likes this.
  8. Gary Sandberg

9. Gary Sandberg

Translation.....

We received the designs and sketches, sent on 11/8/75, regarding the project of his car "Gila". They are sufficient to give an idea of what you have planned.

If we are allowed to express a judgment, moreover you requested, we believe that while the sketches regarding the mechanical equals, especially the engine, are certainly better and demonstrate a certain predisposition to "styling".

We therefore recommend that you open your studies in this field even at the cost of abandoning the chassis and engine. Best wishes for the next project.

Best regards.

Ing. Marmiroli

10. Gary Sandberg

I should mention that the missing letter suggested that hidden headlights would be an option and that the engine design seemed rushed.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

What did u end up doing for a living?;) did u follow their advice?

12. Gary Sandberg

Hi Natkingcolebasket69:

As I said earlier, the math and physics of Engineering School scared the crap out of me and the distance and expense involved in studying in the US was also problematic.

So, I ended up working in the food industry. My B.Sc. was in Microbiology. The funny thing was that my M.Sc. and Ph.D. were in Food Science (with an emphasis on Food Engineering). I taught post-secondary for 16 years in that realm. I then went on to a position of SVP Technical Services for a multinational.

The key lessons I learned from my Ferrari experience:

1. Always give forward (and even back if you can, and I have been able to do both). Karma in a positive way is a wonderful thing.

2. Never kill a dream.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. Gary Sandberg

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Great lessons learnt !!

15. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Love it
    That’s a solid life lesson.

16. Gary Sandberg

17. Gary Sandberg

EnzoItaly, Tenney, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Gary...I'm not seeing a cup holder! :D
    Great drawings, and wonderful story.
    T

19. Gary Sandberg

Thanks Tom. I actually did draw an interior design (misplaced) but sorry, no cup holders.

A slight postscript - the above rendering effectively made the project complete. I did send on some additional drawings to Ferrari. It would appear this was after Ing. Marmiroli had left to form FLY Studios. I had asked to have the drawings forwarded to Pininfarina for their input. There was no new input on my designs and Ferrari gave me a mailing address but I did not pursue the submission to Pininfarina. I won't bother to include that letter.

One final note:

I never imagined in my life I would ever own a Ferrari, let alone two. Here are the two - 1986 328 GTS and 1990 Testarossa
    The significance: 328 GTS has a transverse V8 and the Testarossa, "flat" V12. This is a close as I will ever get to the early and later iterations of my design.

Thanks everyone for following along.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great cars, including the bad a$$ looking truck in the back with a cattle catcher...T

21. Gary Sandberg

:D:D:D Thanks Tom. Truck is a 2005 GMC Jimmy ZR2. Lots of fun features to make it a legitimate factory off-road offering!!

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  22. velocegiallo

velocegiallo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2017
    California

Couldn’t be that difficult!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat