Straight Piped 550... Volume Up | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Straight Piped 550... Volume Up

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FerrariFR33458, Apr 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Sounds amazing under hard acceleration! I suspect the drone would become tiresome in short order though.

Also, try to rev-match the downshifts. They feel and sound better that way, and clutch wear is greatly reduced. ;)

2. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    It’s hard to tell because you can’t see my feet, and the blips happen very quickly, but that’s how fast the engine now revs with the reduced backpressure. The faster response was an unexpected but very impressive feature of Fabio’s work, a very quick tap of the foot and it is right up there. Watch them again and you’ll notice it.

nicholasn and ralfabco like this.
  3. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Straight pipes are for mid engine cars so you can make flames shoot out the exhaust tips. Cool. Or just grow up. LOL.

bruzzifumi likes this.
  4. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Woah! What a sound ! Love it !

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’d be curious how many US 550’s have Fabio’s system. The sound is perfect!

The list has to be very short.

@niftyfivefifty I dm’d you on instagram, it’s fun to watch your feed and refreshing that you are putting on some miles!

6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    6-1 ?

Mine was nr. 09 (worldwide)
    Perhaps (I think) he delivered about 2-3 after I picked up mine in Oktober 2018.

599 6-1 should be at nr. 03

I said to Fabio, he should weld a plate with the prod. nr. onto the headers.
    I don't know if he does this now.

Daniel

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fabio actually started his 6-1 headers with 575Ms, since he owns one. Mine are on order.

F456M and crinoid like this.
  8. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That was the best sound. That was the down side to my 550 it just did not make enough noise. Traded for a 458.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Terry, your 575M will sound like an XF-84H Thunderscreech. :)

ralfabco likes this.
  10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Being installed now.

Hoping she will go up my driveway when Aaron and John send her from Albuquerque.

F456M likes this.
  11. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Trying it with the OEM center muffler next, vids to come when she’s back from the annual checkup next week.

F456M likes this.
  12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Reconnoiter and then take it slow the first time up, Terry.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Affirmative, have been using the radar detectors on Jan's 2020 GLE 450 to find the best way up and down.

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I like the sound the center muffler makes at 3000-4000 revs. I have Hyperflow sport catalyzers + OEM center + FUCHS rear mufflers with flaps and the sound is just perfect with the flaps open. I want to change to catless and same rest set up because then the sound (might) be about the same with the flaps closed and when they open, it will Scream a little. Now with that OEM center part it can cruise at high revs without being too loud. Will be very interesting to hear your results with the OEM.y impression is that the small cross pipe / H in that center is good for bottom end torque and to reduce the vibrations. All the cars I have had runs more smooth with a crumoss pipe.

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I believe I was the first one in North America (or on this forum) with Fabio's headers.

It transformed my 550...I'm not sure if I would still own it had I not done this system.

ralfabco, niftyfivefifty and DZ-96 like this.
  16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I thought about changing the 550 and the 599 for a F12.

But with the 6-1 headers there is no need to change.
    The 550 is just perfect.
    And beginning of October I will get the 6-1 for my 599.

Daniel

niftyfivefifty, F456M and tres55 like this.
  17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Daniel. I am planning a trip through Europe soon and keep the car in Villefranche sur Mer until next spring. Damn those mornings up here in Norway is starting to get quite chilly these days... Any chance I can hear your car...? :) We plan to go first to Belgium, then to Italy through beautiful Austria... I just had the annual inspection done yesterday, and the old thing passed without a single mark. 150.062 kms. and counting... Had new Michelin PS4 rear tires installed, so now German Autobahn will see some V12 power soon! My Enzo stays at home this time. :)

Bob Dobalibus likes this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #68 Ferrari55whoa, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    @tres55 Fabio had mentioned there are three 550's in the US.

I've known and enjoyed @niftyfivefifty 's videos and his instagram and I didn't know if you have an instagram for your 550.

Also curious if I have missed or its been shared on the forum whom the third US 550 owner is with Fabio's set up..... is it @root ?

Very grateful for all the info/content on here. Thanks -- Eric Nesset

F456M likes this.
  19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Nice.

You're review only adds additional 'urgency' to install the full system, on my quiet 550.

Please kindly continue to pile it on and rub it in :D.

F456M likes this.
  20. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Thanks Erik, this gives me hope! My car is still down as we refresh the entire fuel system (all 12 injectors were out of spec!), in addition to a refreshed alternator, AC system, and worn rubber trims all replaced. I am eagerly awaiting its return, and then many tunnel videos will be created.

F456M and ralfabco like this.
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Cool. Do you also put the OEM center section on?

22. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I run Fabio’s dual H pipe and his muffler deletes on my 456M and it pretty darn loud as expected and wanted. I cannot post a vid unfortunately due to size.
    I am considering putting back on the factory center resonator but uncertain if it will sound “better” or not.

23. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I had Fabio’s H-pipe on, but it is just too loud for the kids. I am having the OEM center reinstalled during the current downtime.

F456M likes this.
  24. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel

Eric, nice that we talked today.
    Hope you enjoyed the 6-1 headers sound.

Have a nice trip.

Daniel

F456M and niftyfivefifty like this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys. The last week, I have driven 3.000 kms. from north to south of Europe. I have Hyperflow sport cars + OEM center + valved Fuchs mufflers with the flaps always open. I have to say, it is a BIG difference from a cold to medium warm system (like when driving normally and just local trips) compared to longer runs at higher speed. I also remember that even when I had the OEM rear mufflers. Now after houres on the highway (especially German Autobahn), my car pops both and up and down shifts... It sounds almost like a «racing car», and it is better of course if the flaps are closed. But when I start cold in the morning, the same system (still open flaps) is so silent, it has a perfect sound picture and level!! So the OEM is probably tested and is still comfortable even after the car has been driven hard. That is not at all a mistake. Because when you run longer distances, the more silent (and without resonance) is the best for not being tired of driving far. Even if it might be a bit boring. It would be interesting if someone put on the 6-1 headers with the cats and the rest is all original.. The sound is so much more refined and the car sounds so much more «expencive» with the new headers. I am leaning towards «more sound is not always better». Just my 2 cents... That said, more is more fun...

Mirek likes this.