Sessanta v 599GTB | FerrariChat

Sessanta v 599GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by V12&Red, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V12&Red

V12&Red Rookie

Jul 16, 2020
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Tiilis Orbam
    I am struggling for a long time between a 612 and 599GTB. Both are - imho- superb cars and great engineering. I have seen this Sessanta for sale via RM - always wanted one - and may bid on it https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/finest-all-60-ferrari-612-sessantas but I also am considering others and I think this 599 https://www.carforyou.ch/fr/auto/x/x/x/x-834455 is great car for the money. Does anyone have any experience of owning/driving both the 612 and 599 models and any thoughts on which is better in terms of the drive, holding value long-term, practicality etc. I’m mainly driving GT style around Europe from Switzerland so I do a good number of miles annually. All opinions welcome!!

F3RN4ND0 and 360Marnix like this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    599 for me all day! I'm hoping to have one in the next few years. That silver one you sent a link of is stunning!

3. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    The Sessanta is a special car. The 599 you pictured doesn't have any particular story, but appears to be just a stock 599. Not a very inspiring color, inside or out, either. If you like to turn heads at the next cars and coffee, take the Sessanta.

V12&Red likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Totally agree. Base 612 vs 599, get the latter unless you really need the back seats. Base 599 versus Sessanta, especially in that color combo, the 60 all day long!
    Good luck. This is a question with no wrong answers...T

V12&Red likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Sessantas were the prototypes of the OTOs with just about all the features that eventually went into the OTO. The 599 is a HGTE, also relatively rare and only available from late 2009 on. Kits were available to update earlier models, so the first question would be whether this is an original or an upgrade. 599 is much higher performing and the engine has chains instead of the cambelts that require changing every 5 years. Both great Ferraris.

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sessanta, especially that car. Absolutely stunning.

carguyjohn350, Boomhauer and tomc like this.
  7. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    That 612 Sessanta sold at RM's online-only "Open Roads European Summer Auction" today at a hammer bid of €125,000/$144,000. Adding the 10 percent buyer's fee yields €137,500/$158,400. I am not sure if/how VAT applies so will leave that to others if interested. I looked into this car a bit but couldn't get much info on what it would take to conform to U.S. safety and emission regs so backed off. I have a 2010 612 OTO and was poking at the Sessanta only because of the interesting color combo.

8. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi All, I think that was exceedingly cheap compared to the usual dealer asking prices in Europe. Somebody got a good buy there!

carguyjohn350 and brogenville like this.
  9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Between these two cars the Sessanta is a more interesting car. That being said, I don't miss worrying about the belts and the 599 is a more performance leaning GTB.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Has the Sessanta all the latest upgrade that the 612 HGTS or HGTC received or is it just a more luxurious Scaglietti?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- It has nearly all the features of the OTO and is much advanced over the older HGTS/HGTC packages. There was an HGT1 package available for the Sessanta, but it is very rare and did not change the 599 Superfast F1 system, just like the later HGT2 package.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For me the F599 is borderline too big. The 612 and its variants are one toke over the line.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm good with both...lol Guess that's why I've had both. I don't think I'd do a 599 again, not that it isn't a great car, the better car really, but it's just a redundant experience for me. Forgive me, but it drove a lot like my supercharged C6 Corvette. The 612 is a more unique driving experience. And I think Sessantas are super cool.

Makuono, 599_GTO and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My problem is I came of age in the '60s. XKEs and Stingrays were BIG cars compared to MGBs.

Makuono likes this.
  15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A 599 will take about the same footprint in your garage as a mid-sized SUV. :D

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I have seen this a number of times regarding Sessantas: "It has nearly all the features of the OTO..." Sessantas have the glass roof, manettino, and updated F1 transmission with 100 ms shift times that the OTO has. I think the Bose infotainment is the same, too. So, what's missing from the Sessanta that is in the OTO? Also, is the HTG1 option in the Sessanta the same as the HGT2 option in the OTO?

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What makes a Sessanta special is not that it has this feature or that feature. It's that each one was unique, and each one was sold to a special customer of Ferrari... Functionally, I think they are about the same as an OTO.

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    612 OTO over a 599 especially if the 599 doesn't have the hgtc handling package.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Early 612s (around 2006) could have HGTC, 599s could have HGTE, but only 2010 MY and later unless retrofitted to earlier models.

Donald- Lots of info on HGT2, but very little out there on HGT1. Can only assume they were very similar. Both HGT1 and HGT2 included no F1 upgrades, since F1 upgrades (~125 ms min shift time) were done to all interim 612s when HGT2 came out. On the Sessantas and OTOs, standard Superfast I F1 was included on all standard and HGT1/2 models.

20. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Hi, I live in Switzerland and have owned a 612 HGTC (one of the rare Berne GP Editions) for about 4 years. I’ve been considering a 599 HGTE and recently drove a 599 GTB that belongs to a friend so I thought I would share my thoughts.

The 599 is a step on from a 612. It was similar to drive as you might expect given they share the same basic chassis but it felt lighter, faster and more responsive/agile. It really flies at the top end, that extra 1000rpm sounds great and it pulls hard all the way to the red line. Gear shifts were much faster than my HGTC (HGTE would be faster again) but that’s to be expected. A Sessanta / OTO would be better.

As it was a GTB It had a slightly softer setup than my 612 and rolled a bit more in the corners but still handled its weight really well. I was not left with a feeling of it being bigger than a 612 and I would have felt the confidence to push a lot harder was it my own car. I also noted that the exhaust is not as “charasmatic” as on my 612 with no real cracks and pops on upshifts and burbles on overrun. However I imagine a 599 HGTE would be better in this respect. Overall the engine itself sounded very similar.

For me it was positive experience. I love my 612 and it always surprises me how good it is on mountain passes. The fact that the 599 GTB was a similar although slightly lighter, sportier drive was a good thing. It means the 599 HGTE may scratch the itch without getting myself into F12 territory (way too fast for this country to enjoy properly).

In many respects I think the 612 is a cooler car. It’s has aged well and looks classy and interesting. They are rare too, at least you don’t often see them. I wanted an OTO originally and drove about 5 or 6 but ended up with my Berne GP Edition as it was the best condition, history, drive experience and rarity.

In summary OTO vs HGTE, quite similar to drive. OTO rarer and more practical, HGTE a bit faster and sportier.

Im not in position to change right now but will still consider HGTE when time is right.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cgt000, brogenville and Makuono like this.