Rolex buying advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rolex buying advice

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by A348W, May 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you are lucky you will find a late 50’s early 60’s datejust possible to find one in rose gold white dials shouldn’t be hard to find it’s the black ones that are super rare. Also look for a 1018 perpetual. Photo courtesy A. Ciani
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A348W likes this.
  2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have a DateJust from 1988 you want to sell I’ll give you $1,250 for it right now. Just send me a PM.

technom3 likes this.
  3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have almost the exact watch the OP is asking for, and it's amazing. My wife wears it on an Hemes calf strap, but the original croc. works well for a man that likes vintage watches.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Well I carry on looking! Waiting for the yacht to sell to release some cash, but might go new datejust.

unless I find a decent old one, and I’ve not seen one I really like in 6 months, I might go new. the new ones don’t seem much more than the asking price of second hand, although I’ve yet to test the asking prices.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    tap, tap, tap, “Hello? Is this thing on?”
    :)

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    technom3 likes this.
  7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ronfrohock likes this.
  8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Now you’re just sadistically taunting Dave. ;)
    All kidding aside, it’s interesting to see the wide range of prices on the 70s-90s DJs, Date, Airking, etc

ronfrohock and dstacy like this.
  9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Now that's just being rude!!!;)

Actually went into my local dealer to try some on see about colours and figure out waiting times etc. on new ones Total disappointment, was completely blanked by the sales staff...so walked out. I will be back though when I have my watch, and tell them to their face they lost a sale, the sale of an eternity ring for the missus and diamond studs for my daughters 16th this summer. Think it will also be a Ferrari day and park outside...:)!

(I don't care how good business might be today, you don't treat potential clients like that!)

Boomhauer and tatry68 like this.
  10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    100% agree. You treat every potential customer with respect. Reminds me of the John Bonham Rolls Royce story.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    A watch is not really an investment. its an heirloom piece. if you want a return do stocks. if you want a great watch, that is timeless buy a SS Sub and wear it for 10 years. you will get your money back plus some. My SS Sub, was purchased in 1988... for $1600. Had it serviced last year - Dealer insured if for $9K. the thing is I love the watch so selling is not on my radar. when I'm dead someone in my wifes family will be getting a nice collection of watches - hope they appreciate them.

poljav likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Date just's and the like were made in large quantities in the 80's... and in the vintage market don't bring a premium. they are more valuable for the gold content in most cases.

SS sports watches is the market to be in..... but sadly it also prices people out who like these watches.

zygomatic likes this.
  13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have an opportunity to purchase a new gmt meteorite.
    I am stressed . I really like the watch , but I have 3 rolexes already & I only wear the one I like a lot everyday (white gold sub) , the other 2 are for special occasions and locked away

Considering I do care about spending the money:
    Do I pick up the gmt and have 2 everyday watches and let time heal the cost wound because in the end I will be happy & whole
    Do I trade in the wg sub for the gmt and feel I upgraded at a little cost.
    Do I not get the gmt if I really like the sub and know that the gmt is no big deal (I really don't believe that)

opinions?

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  15. Steve00

Steve00 Rookie

Jan 18, 2016
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Buy it if you really like it. I have been waiting for one and would buy it. Talked to my AD earlier this week and he hasn’t seen one since last year.