360 - F1 Temp - is this normal behavior? | FerrariChat

360 F1 Temp - is this normal behavior?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Adomowitz360, Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    I’ve owned a 2001 360 Spyder F1 for about 6 months now. Over the past few weeks, when I take it out I notice the F1 temp starts to climb when the car isn’t moving. It usually stays right at the 175 line when driving on the highway, but in stop and go traffic it starts working it’s way up and at stop lights it visibly climbs. I’ve only let it get a bit past the 210 mark before bringing it back home and letting it cool down. Is this happening due to summer heat or is there another issue? I took a look at the manual and I know it’s still within operating range, but I’d expect that temp to climb when getting on it at the track, not just cruising around town. Clutch life is about 25% remaining if that could be a factor. I’m planning on replacing the clutch over the winter, but was hoping to make it until then. Appreciate any advice more experienced owners can share.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sorry but the gauge you are showing us is your coolant temp ...not f1 fluid temp .

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Skidkid likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Water temperature goes up on Ferraris when you come to a stop and in very slow moving traffic. Then the fans kick on to stabilize the temperature. As soon as you start moving, the water temperature goes back down with the increased airflow through the radiator(s). Normal operation.

No F1 fluid temperature gauge.

flash32 likes this.
  4. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Well, I’m a bit embarrassed I mixed up the gauges but glad to know it’s normal operation. Thanks for the info.

flash32 likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What was the air temp?

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Terry

100 percent agree on process ..but looking back at temp ..it does seem a little high ..no? Seems to be 220 degrees ..that just caught my attention .. normally I never see more than 195 on our cars unless not bled correctly etc

Now .. of it was 100 degrees out with ac on full blast and it was at 210 for a few minutes that may be another thing

OP.,.. please tell us more .. conditions outside ..speed ..do you hear fans come on at about 195 ? Did you have a service done recently that involves a coolant change ?

Just don't want to dismiss it so quickly

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the pic you showed us, there's a cel and the oil pressure = 0, indicating that the engine is OFF
    when you turn off the engine when coolant temp is near 210F, it will go on further a bit to the temp showed on your pic. Completely normal.

Adomowitz360 and Skidkid like this.
  8. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    The air temp was about 90 degrees. No a/c on, had the windows and top down. I had a heat exchanger failure back in February, the coolant was flushed a few times then. That’s probably why I’m a bit paranoid, trying to postpone another large repair bill.

I decided to take it back out after hearing it was normal and spent about 30 minutes on city streets in stop and go traffic. It never went higher, so I think it’s ok. The pic I posted is the highest it got, but as mentioned it was off at the time.

Really appreciate all the helpful info, thanks everyone!!

9. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Let the temperature rise when stationary and check both fans are kicking in.
    One of mine was sticking and blowing fuses. I never sit in traffic, so it may have been like that for some time without me knowing.

10. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Iirc There are two fans. One for each radiator. The second comes on when the car reaches a certain temp (210ish I believe). The car will heat up if stationary up to that point. Once the second fan comes on it should cool down.

Adomowitz360 likes this.