488 battery | FerrariChat

488 battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cf 22, Jul 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cf 22

Cf 22 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a 488 spider for about a month now. Only has 300 miles and I’ve only driven it roughly 7 times
    Went to start it today and it didn’t. I connected the tender and after an hr on, I tested it and it started.
    About 6 hrs later I checked and the tender was full “7” . Just to check, I unplugged the tender and started the car and shut it off after a minute and then plugged the tender in again. It showed “3” and about 15 minutes later went to “4”
    Is this normal or does that mean the battery isn’t taking the charge?

I’m getting different answers from other owners.

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    There are 2 possible problems. 1 - bad battery. 2 - short circuit with the ignition off. Item 2 be can be checked by inserting an amp meter between the positive battery terminal and the positive cable to the car. The current should be in the low milliamp range.

3. Cf 22

Cf 22 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How often does the battery need to be plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Maybe because I'm an engineer and anal, but I have left three Corvettes plugged into the trickle charge at all times that I'm not actually driving the car. Number one, it extends the battery service life. Number two, the biggest alternator killers are low batteries. Most modern trickle chargers have a microprocessor that monitors the battery and will only supply enough current to handle the parasitic loads on the battery when it's parked. The ECUs continue to draw current even when the ignition is off. The first thing I did when I brought my F430 home was plug in the trickle charger.

Ray

5. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    As a data point, with my 458 Speciale, my battery tender always starts at 3, and goes to 4 in about 15 minutes even when I immediately plug it in after a long drive. Getting to 7 takes longer than I am willing to wait, but by the next morning it will be at 7. My owners manual says to plug the tender in if I am going to leave the car for a week or more. I plug it in if I am going to leave the car for more than a day. I just leave it on the floor of the garage next to where the car parks and plug it in before ai get out of the car. I agree with Cf 22 ( I am also an anal engineer) about leaving the tender plugged in whenever you are not using the car. I have about 10 of these and use them for every car that I do not drive nearly daily. I have batteries that are a dozen years old and still start the car. As he mentions it also makes life easy for the alternator.

Ray Smith likes this.
  6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Had I been able to afford it, I would have bought a 458 Italia. The DCT is totally awesome. Last of the naturally-aspirated V-8s. But the are holding their value too well. I had to settle for a 430. Life's a *****, huh?

Ray

7. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    What you experienced with the tender is normal. They start at the lower number and then progress at a speed commensurate with the state of charge of the battery.

8. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I agree with the following comments. The charger should be hook-up to the battery continuously. I have an older V-12 with a large Group 27 battery; with the charger always hooked-up, my battery will last for 10 years.