Fuel Gauge | FerrariChat

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in '360/430' started by phil the brit, Jul 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Filled to max the fuel tank on F430 but gauge now says empty. It showed three bars before I filled her up. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

usually it is the fuel level indicator went bad. Remove the LH fuel pump, then remove the indicator from the pump, replace it with a new one.

Skidkid and flash32 like this.
  3. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    It it a DIY job or off to the dealer? I have a reasonable level of mechanical ability.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

not for weekend warriors, I believe. It can be done, but safety is a problem. You are dealing with gasoline and if one of the fuel lines aren't in order, there will be serious consequences. I consider myself an able mechanic after being 10 years of weekend warriors and even I messed up once ---- narrowly avoided barbecuing the car.

phil the brit likes this.
  5. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I put new pumps in the 360 and the gauge is out by 3 bars so before you get your spammers out I’d go to a dealer
    Humble opinion

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#6 24000rpm, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    that might be because the radial position of the fuel pump is wrong

for early style F430 and 360, there are a few tricky things to take care of when removing and installing a fuel pump

0. there are a few lines or hoses that you need to remove before getting to remove the pump. Those lines or hoses are brittle sometimes, try not to bend them, stress them.
    1. use a specialized tool to remove the big ring nut, you don't want the nut to have hairline cracks only later down the road to let fuel out.
    2. do not let the screws or anything fall into the fuel tank. Count all screws/washers as you remove. Be meticulous.
    3. Try to remember/mark/measure/take picture of the rough height between ring nut's bottom to the aluminum cover. You don't want to cross threaded it. (if you put 60NM to the ring nut and got a height a lot more than the original height, you are doing it wrong somewhere)
    4. the fuel gauge indicator has to be right into the slot with nothing touching it. Too much deviation you'll get it stuck hence false readings.
    5. if you cannot press the pump down to the tank enough or seems difficult, your seal (from pump to tank) need replacing.
    6. the big o-ring under the aluminum cover has to be in its grove, make sure of that.
    7. do not put stress to the nozzle of the pump. I accidentally broke a nozzle of a brand new pump. Even if you didn't break it , i'd think it will affect its structure integrity somehow. I don't know if I am correct but I'd rather not to put stress to it.
    8. same as 7, the fuel line connecting to the nozzle has to be in such a position as not to making any bending stress to both the nozzle and the line itself.
    9. the fuel line's connector to the pump's nozzle has to be real secure. I am not sure how to be 100% sure on this one. Bar buying a new fuel line, I don't know how to make this sure. This is where I messed up a few years ago. It seems that only one plastic thing(pictured below, in blue) is holding the connection together, which surprises me. See picture below. The picture shows a f430 style connector, the 360's is similar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

For late style F430, you need to tilt the fuel tank to get the fuel pump out as there is no “aluminum cover" I mentioned and the aluminum cover allows you to tilt the pump.
    That, is a bigger job than early 430 or 360.

7. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Mine is all wonky too on my 360.

I've just learned to fill it up after I reach 200KM on the tank.

knocker likes this.
  8. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Many thanks for the replies guys, Dealer it is then!