355 - One Cat is glowing red but no SDL on | FerrariChat

355 One Cat is glowing red but no SDL on

Discussion in '348/355' started by cheungchoyui, Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Guys,

I found out one of my cat was red after 40 mins driving.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

No light goes on.
    Any idea ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is the cat ecu connected or bypassed? Is check that first. But generally too much fuel getting in the cat and then being burned there or the cat is clogged. Pull it and do a visual inspection.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, for one, your CAT temp warning system isn't working. And two, looks like that bank must be running really rich or have a cylinder or two out. Three, if a metal core cat it's probably toast.

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The exhaust glowing red doues not necessarily mean that you were in the SDL trigger zone. I don't know how red the exhaust has to get to trigger the SDL but, when I bench tested a known good 348 thermocouple, I had to heat-up its probe (with a small torch) to bright red/orange in order to bring its output to close to the SDL trigger point.

I would first investigate why only one side is getting red. Perhaps collapsed cat internals causing some restriction to the exhaust flow?

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On a 355 (I think this is your car), a red hot cat is a bad sign. You have excess fuel in the cat, even if it has not yet triggered a SDL or a CEL, you need to sort that out before it becomes a fire hazard.

6. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Thanks for the information. So what should I do to locate the problem ?

I didn’t feel that I was losing power though.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Have you modified anything on the exhaust system? e.g. O2 extenders with cat material to fool the O2 sensors, dummy plugs on the Slow Down (thermocouple) ECUs, etc? I don't see how the car is not detecting a problem with either fuel/combustion problems or cat temperatures.

Looks like you have a F355 2.7 car?

8. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Glowing red cats mean loose connections check and make sure you're O2 censors are connected tight

Qavion likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    1) physical inspection, 02 car ecu etc
    2) pull the cat and look inside for damage/blockage
    3) figure out why it's getting fuel (stick injector, bad fpr, bad plugs) are few easy low cost possibilities.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Make sure that you car isn't running too cool. If it is the ecu mapping won't get out of secondary enrichment = extra fuel in the system. Also make sure that your coolant temp sensors are in good shape and sending the correct temp signal.

drbob101 and Ferrarium like this.
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    btw this is why I witched to the 355 fan switch, the 348 switch runs 5 degrees cooler or so with some manufacturing variance..

ernie likes this.
  12. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Both of the header and cat are aftermarket. Changed by previous owner.
    My car is a 2.7 version.

13. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    This happened after I had 40 mins hard drive. So the car wasn’t running cool.
    Coolant temp has been changed 2 years ago. It seems working fine.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  15. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Might I suggest a heat gun and measure the temperatures of he banks of header pipes and cats at similar spots to check if there are any real differences between banks and or points in the exhaust system. The colour red is not necessarily a tell tale indicator after a hard run and low light conditions which will make it look brighter than a cat in brighter lighting.

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You coolant temperature sensor my be just fine.
    However.
    That doesn’t mean your thermostat hasn’t failed.
    Have a read of this thread to understand more about what I am describing.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/355-owners-only-more-data-samples-needed-anonymous-poll.377706/

17. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Is it running smooth? Unburned fuel is ending up in the cat or the cat is clogged.

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    OR......................

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    He has a failed header.

20. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you still have the secondary air injection system fitted check for leaks, failed check-valves, cracks in the tubes, loose connectors, stuck open vacuum valves etc.

Excess air getting in upstream of the cat can cause overheating catalyst (as well as a cracked manifold, as mentioned above or damaged manifold gasket/loose nuts & so on).

I am personally convinced that a few of the 355s that have gone up in flames have been due to failed secondary air system (although most went to the well documented fuel leaks)

21. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    The air pump is still working whenever cold starts. It run for few mins and stopped. How could it affect the cat when the pump is stopped ?

Thanks

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What he means is "when there is a air leak close to the upstream o2 sensor, the sensor will read a lean condition where none exists and the computer will richen the mixture during the next combustion cycle. The over rich mixture does not burn completely and ends up burning inside the hot Cat converter, thereby melting the inside of the converter". I have seen it many times.

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  23. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Hi Joe,

We had a Chevette (remember them?). My wife was driving it from Crockett, Texas to Houston about sundown. She called me to say that every time she tried to turn the lights on, the engine would die. Later, a local shop diagnosed it as a bad battery and replaced the battery. I went to drive it that night and it wouldn’t start. I roll started it and tried to drive it back to proper functionality. The engine would not run faster than idle. I drove to a local strip mall parking and lot and drove around in circles. After a few minutes of this, a guy drove over to me and said that there was something glowing under the car! It was the catalytic converter. After a second visit to an auto shop, it was discovered that the alternator was not recharging the battery. When the battery got down to a certain level of charge, there was insufficient electrical current to give a proper spark. Even at full throttle, the engine would not turn more than about 1200 rpm, so any excess gas would go out the exhaust ports and into the catalytic converter where the catalyst would attempt to clean the excess fuel by burning it in the converter and wind up just over-heating it until it glowed. Replacing the diodes in the alternator corrected the problem.

How well does your car start and run? If my 430 battery had a voltage that was too low (10-11 volts), the starting process sounded quite odd and lacked any alacrity. You might have the battery and alternator checked.

Tom

24. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    It may be helpful to check the long and short term fuel trim numbers with a scanner.

25. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #25 spaghetti_jet, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Ironically, modern cars actually do a variation of what you describe on purpose in order to get the cats up to working temperature. The strategy is called ‘cold start spark retard’. The spark is retarded and with the richer fuelling for start-up combustion continues in the exhaust manifold. It gets the cats up to working temperature faster and is why cars no longer have secondary air injection.