Portofino Battery Maintainer | FerrariChat

Portofino Battery Maintainer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Richard G., Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richard G.

Richard G. Rookie

May 31, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

Just purchased my first Ferrari about a month ago (a 2019 PF) and fulfilled a childhood dream. It’s every bit as exciting as I imagined.

It’s my understanding that the battery maintainer for the PFs is a newer model. Mine is black with only one status light. Most of the ones I read about are the older red version with multiple lights. I read through my manual and did not see anything about the operation of the battery maintainer. Also searched extensively on this forum, but the posts are generally talking about the older red version.

Questions for the newer model: what do the color indicator lights mean? When I first plug into wall, the light is red. When attached to the car it turns yellow. Does yellow mean charging? Does it mean there is an error? Does the charger turn any other colors?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    rg

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Amber (yellow) means charging. When it turns green the battery is charged to something like 99%. Because of the parasitic drain from the super computer network in these cars, it never *fully* charges, but the charger will keep chugging away to keep it at 98-99%.

BTW, I use a "Battery Tender" and a Schmacher "Battery Extender" on my cars. They have more well developed processing power and built in safeguards for polarity reversing.

Ray

tomc likes this.
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I attach mine to the car and then plug it in. The red light blinks red six times and then turns amber on the seventh blink,indicating that the charger is properly connected and charging. When the light turns green,the battery is charged. If the light continues red after plugging it in,you probably didn't get the magnetic plug properly placed on the socket on the trunk lid. Because I don't have a lockable individual garage for the car,I charge it just every two or three days and it only takes about one hour.

4. Richard G.

Richard G. Rookie

May 31, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Thank you both for the helpful comments.

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    And if you are new to later-model Ferraris,be aware that the electronics are fussy and don't like batteries that aren't at or near a full charge. If possible,use the charger whenever you aren't driving the car.

JCR likes this.
  6. danzugrav

danzugrav Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2022
    Sibiu
    Full Name:
    Dan Z
    Is it true you need to plug the M every night? Seems ridiculous... how can you ever take a trip and stay in three different spots/hotels? Thank you.