Hard start issue | FerrariChat

Hard start issue

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by decardona, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    First, I want to thank those who provided assistance with my belt change and water pump issues. I am grateful. When I was done the car ran great. No issues. Now, all of a sudden, I'm having a difficult time getting the car started. It pops and backfires and will eventually get going. It doesn't seem to have the same power or grunt as it did before. It's very sluggish at low rpms. The only thing that is different is I reconnected the vacuum hoses to the airbox after the belt changes. They were both just dangling so I reconnected them after the job. I plan to disconnect them and try the car again this weekend, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any ideas because it CAN'T be that easy, could it? Thanks.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Check for vacuum leaks, or a leaky fuel accumulator.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    1. When you say "airbox", do you mean on the LH side of the intake plenum?

2. If so, did the warm idle RPM change (increase) when you reconnected them?

4. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    The air filter box on the right side as you are looking at the engine. It has two connectors for the hoses. A narrow one at the bottom and a wider one on top. The top wider one was disconnected when I took it apart for the belt change. The idle speed didn't change upon connecting them, but it seemed to run smoother.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Those should have no effect on engine operation -- they are connected to the air box only to have a source of filtered (clean) air (i.e., to prevent any dirt/debris from entering those hoses).

6. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I didn't think they would matter much. I just ordered new plugs to try as a next step. We'll see if that helps.

7. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
  8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi my car is a 3.2 as well , What happened to mine was it had a hard time starting when hot . I replaced the fuel accumulator and all is well . The Fuel accumulator is the same as the Mercedes late 70’s 280 and 450 series .

9. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Thanks for the info. I changed the plugs and now it starts right up and idles smooth. Now the issue I have is, it seems to run poorly at low rpms. When I'm accelerating, it pulls hard. But when I down shift or lift to slow down it bogs down and seems shaky. When that happens, it doesn't respond well unless you down shift. Trying to figure out where to look next. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks again for everyone's input.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Any sign/ smell of fuel on the dipstick- or is the sump level incresing?

12. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    No sign of fuel on the stick. So, Wade, did the can and splitter you put in work? I guess I can check it and see if it's still all hooked up.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, it worked perfectly.

If it did somehow become disconnected then take a close look at the instructions to make sure the hoses are routed correctly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

14. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Thanks for the diagram. Will look at it tomorrow.

15. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Ok, looked at all the things mentioned and still no improvement. Had a bit of an issue starting up as the car let off a loud backfire the first time, then started right up. The car runs at idle very steadily at 950-1000 rpms. There is a light tapping noise at the top of the engine that wasn't there before i changed the belts and water pump. Also, there is less force coming out of the left side exhaust pipes than the right. Never noticed this before and don't know if this is a new thing or was always that way. As I said before, when driving the car, it pulls well, but when you let off the throttle and get back on it, it seems to be bogging down like its in the wrong gear. It sputters and shakes until you downshift then it gets better, but its still not right. Sometimes it feels like it seems to be getting to much fuel and its not able to burn it quick enough, but there is no smell of fuel. Although I checked when doing the belts to be sure nothing moved, could the timing be off? And if so, how do I check or find out? I will try to make a video of the car running and driving to demonstrate the issue.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on eurospares web site at the 3.2 mondial drawings, plate 008 timing system, then item no 12. This is pt no 125109/125110. This is the timing ref marks. See if your car is fitted with these, some are and some not.
    Look on right hand end of cam shaft.
    Assuming you have these you need to find direction crank turns on the starter motor, align crank at tdc by turning in correct direction ( under no circumstances turn crank in wrong direction, even if you go past the mark )the arrows on these plates should be aligned with the stamped lines on the flat on the end of the camshaft.
    If no alignment then turn crank 1 complete rev In same direction back to the tdc mark and recheck the indicators against the stamped lines. NB you need to be directly above to view it to be sure you get it right.
    if any one out of line them timing is wrong

17. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I had a similar experience. One of my spark plug wires was shorting intermittently - which might be the “tapping” sound you hear.

Also, in a related development, one of the distributor rotors got a tiny HOLE blasted through it (top-to-bottom) by the short. Key point - wait for it — one must look into the underside mounting hole to see where the current arced through. Don’t see anything... wait for it again — one must REMOVE the metal pivot pad down inside there to see where the high current is arching directly through! If this turns out to be the problem - don’t thank me - thank Dave Helms and SRI!

Also, if that is the issue a few of your spark plug wires will probably not pass muster and need replacing. Check them all.

By the way - and this tip is from me — get a few extra distributor caps (and rotors). The caps fail too. Look carefully for cracks. And when you buy a used cap it probably has a very small crack in it - it will not last long.

SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The uneven exhaust pressure side to side is normal. My 87 US spec has been that way since purchase and runs fine.

ronfrohock and Wade like this.
  19. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Every symptom you have written about, timing, hard starting, back firing, bogging down always sends everyone in the direction of electrical problems. Then they troubleshoot the easy electrical 1st thought.....spark plugs (which is amateur time) ........then they look at distributor, coils and ignition modules. After that its fuel pump and accumulator. After that it turns into ecu analysis and the over voltage relay with its fused disconnect. Then its ignition ecu and o2 sensors.............. so on and so on.........Scratching their heads they start saying the timing is all out. Feels like the timing is off........So it turns to top dead center analysis, open up the fly wheel and did I put the timing belt on wrong........Did the timing belt slip. Every article I read goes through this mad process. Always the same path. Always the same wrong turn after wrong turn.

Nobody gives the Bosch K Jetronic fuel distributor any respect to its global affect on the engine. You have to realize this is a 1st generation fuel injection system (depending on Mondial year) Nobody wants to admit that the current gasoline we buy with its 10% ethanol content is super corrosive. Nobody realizes that the 35 year old rubber o-rings and diaphragms inside the K Jetronic fuel distributor are physically biodegrading and thats accelerated by the ethanol and any other fuel injection cleaner we put in our gas to "remove deposits" (as if thats important) You are reading the roadmap backwards. Start with the fuel distributor. Stop all the other troubleshooting and have the fuel distributor rebuilt. Pull it out, mail it off and get the insides completely replaced.

I tell you this because I have lost the last 2 years use of my 86 Mondial because the mechanics read the roadmap backwards. My trip went so horribly wrong it turned into a complete rebuild of the motor with new pistons and rings, complete valve job and every cam shaft seal bearing etc. Everything I mentioned above, including a complete new fuse panel............and it all could have been avoided if we rebuilt the fuel distributor in step one. Reading the roadmap backwards has taken my Ferrari away from me, something that gives me peace, re-centers my thoughts, and just resets my day. I dont want to see that happen to you or any of my fellow Ferrari brothers.

moysiuan and ronfrohock like this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Did u check the timing and if so was it correct ?

21. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Was going to do it over the weekend but I had to work. Will be checking it this weekend for sure.

22. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Got to taking everything apart and found that the timing was off. Reset it and now the car is back to how it ran prior to the belt/water pump change. Thanks again to all for the help provided.

Wade likes this.
  23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How many teeth out ? Did u manage to get the camshaft on the marks to the indicators
    Do a compression test on the cylinders in case you have bent a valve.

24. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    One tooth out. And yes, everything lines up as it should. No tapping so I'm hoping no valve issues.

25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You might just get away with it but the compression test is a good check