Photos Taken While Flying | Page 75 | FerrariChat

Photos Taken While Flying

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by juliei, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The special chemtrails coming off the props make that possible :D

tritone likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Thanks. I have only ridden in the old ones, the Es and a B in Europe. It looked like the J was a hot rod and it sure sounds like it. Plus all the upgrades in the cockpit and the cargo hold. The B was really quick, too, but with no external tanks, range was limited so they were using them between Germany and the UK during Desert Shield and Storm.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Trying to understand the power.... the new engines are slightly more powerful on paper (few hundred SHP per engine. I understand that's times 4). But it doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference.

Are the Dowty props also a big improvement? Am I missing something? Or looking at the wrong data.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Turbine torque is big and doesn't fade under load as fast as a recip.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Ak Jim and Hannibal308 like this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Looking at JulieI at the controls and those formation shots of that beautiful P-40 has taken me back to the delightful sensations of the movements around you of an airplane in flight. For me there is nothing on earth to equal the response of an airplane when you are maintaining just simple flight or making a maneuver with extensive displacement of the controls. It visits me many times during the day and many times in the middle of the night and there is no room for idle dreams or nightmares. A nice gift and I'm thankful for it when I'm dealing with medical things in the hospital that visit me more often now. An old pilot can always fly and many people don't understand that. They have been cheated in a way.

Jacob Potts and Texas Forever like this.
  7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The props are a significant improvement, the H models that were upgraded with 8 blade Hamilton Sundstrand NP2000 props are apparently on par with J models.

Now without looking into things a fair amount I also believe part of it is the usable power of the engines... with the H you could fly at certainty turbine inlet temps (TIT) for limited amounts of time before you had to pull power back. The J engine is somewhat down rated which, as I understand it, means less concern for that sort of thing. Basically you can run the J at “redline” all day where the H you can only do it for a certain amount of time. I used to remember all the H model TIT limits and times but those penguins fell off the iceberg a while ago.

The other big thing that makes normal Js a hot rod is the lack of external fuel tanks, the drag index added by them is huge. There was discussion of using an internal tank rather than externals on the WC-130j however as I understand it there were structural advantages to having some of the weight out on the wings with some of the silly things we do. I’m a big fan of not having the wings fall off in flight but haven’t really looked into it much.

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, the original stubby Js are real hot rods but the Air Force only bought a handful of them and they are now kinda weird orphans as airlift planners prefer the standardized larger capacity stretch Js. Our WC-130s are pretty good but they have the added drag of the external tanks. The 815th AS here at Keesler has two of the stubby Js, but I’m not sure where the rest are at this point. They had several at the J schoolhouse in Little Rock for a bit but I’m not sure where they are now.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Please allow me to expand on my playback system. My previous post triggered a flood of past flights that never leave me. I must get a mental shot of adrenaline when I put that same old nickel in my mental slot and the movie starts. My favorite is at 6000 ft. in the Cont. powered Stearman off the beach at Lido Beach on Longboat Key. During the war it was the stage of P-40's and P-51's. Now it was my turn five years later. I can still feel it when I put the nose down and got up to 125-130 and pulled back into a steep climb, quick left aileron, some left rudder at the top, back stick, let the nose fall through and feel the aileron and rudder take affect on the way down. Probably sloppy but who's looking. Then into another one on the right that blended into a loop that ended with an almost vertical climb with right rudder at the top and left aileron to hopefully execute a hammerhead. Sometimes good, sometimes not. Heading south took me to Siesta Key where we lived on the beach. I enjoyed the challenge of setting up an approach off shore to see if I estimated the drift of the on shore breeze to make a landing. I didn't always guess correctly but when I did I could make a one wheel touch and go and call it a day....a fun day. There are all kinds of things that you can try to put together with one of these airplanes and the only thing that you have to worry about is the fuel bill when you get back to the airport. Then with the Cub, it was an exercise in low speed control when one was attempting to dog fight with a turkey buzzard. Getting close enough to see them peering back over their shoulder and trying to turn with them always ended up with a spin. They always won.
    Now, I don't need an app, I don't need a computer, I don't need a Red Box, or a CD. I can just let it run anytime. I'm never alone. I'm never bored. And it doesn't cost a dime.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That makes sense...
    Yes, I saw that the RR engines on the J are really downrated for the Herc, Like from 6,000 SHP to 4,600 SHP. That's a lot.
    Sounds like you've never flown the shorty J.

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I sat in the right seat from Bagram to Al Udeid maybe 15 years ago but all I really did was mess around, not my position in the plane. On several occasions I have flown as an observer on them for exercises but it wasn’t any really fun stuff, just standard tac flying. The WC-130J is a stubby but it has the externals which add some drag. The nice thing is that we can go most anyplace we need without too much concern about range. The regular Js occasionally have issues going to Hawaii if the winds are wrong.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    With my Canon DSLR I usually shoot anything moving in shutter-priority mode at about 1/200 and pan with the action, which usually gives a pretty sharp view of the vehicle with a nicely-blurred background. When I shoot spinning props, it looks like they're spinning!

It happens with video as well. I've seen a YouTube video of a Tu-95 Bear on its takeoff roll, and it looks like all those props are virtually standing still!

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I’m gonna have to give that a try.... I have seen those sorta pics but have never tried it.

The Bear is pretty neat, only seen one and it was an Indian Tu-142. I was able to take some discreet pics but wasn’t able to do video.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Just remember to follow through, just as if you're swinging a bat or a golf club.

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Jacob Potts and Bob Parks like this.
  17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Absolutely.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Your work BESIDES flag holder is what I want to hear.

Jacob Potts and tritone like this.
  19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    anytime... for a few reasons I would prefer it to be in silver but I will answer questions anywhere. Flying Isaias tomorrow, takeoff at 7:30. Data stream from the flight can be found here:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/

gotta go to bed now, up at 3:45 tomorrow morning.

Bob Parks, donv and Texas Forever like this.
  20. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I do a lot of work with Public Affairs just because there are cool ideas I have that I can’t implement without outside help. In the pic where I held the flag I called a camera guy on a satellite phone and told him to be behind the squadron at X time.

That flag is a big 5’x9.5’ interment flag I picked up a few years back, it circumnavigated the globe with me in 2018.

ralfabco, Tcar and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The year may have been 1969, or not. A local motorcycle dealer took me and a bud up in his plane in Pensacola. While we’re up, he casually says, “Keep a lookout for other planes.” Being a navy brat, I’m freaking out. Don’t you have radar or something?

He later said, “Hey, wanna see what it’s like to be a dive bomber?”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Silver is fine with me and makes sense.

tritone likes this.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I never look at silver, so that would be disappointing.

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You're lifetime rossa! I think you can subscribe to a specific thread, can't you?

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- I do not subscribe to threads, either.