458 - WTB speciale - whats to know about? | FerrariChat

458 WTB speciale - whats to know about?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by chris0315, Jul 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Hey y'all,
    I'm slowly gearing up for the next chapter, 458 Speciale. I was originally in the market for a 430 Scuderia but couldn't pull the trigger. The once I saw have been beaten down, not the right color schemes or simply wrong place wrong time.
    Following the European market, in certain areas (Switzerland) prices for good examples are going far south of 300k USD I'm gaining interest for this beast.
    After my disastrous after sales experience with an AD (Continental Motorsports) I'd like to be better prepared this time. I'm originally from Europe and my background is Porsche. I had and still have several Porsches from aircooled to Gt3, turbo... I have a huge network over there and still own a 911tt. I guess my biggest issue here in the US, East coast is finding the right people for purchasing/maintenance/simply trusting their skills and not getting the "hey Snoop Dog, its a Ferrari! better get used to it!" attitude.
    Given the fact that most Speciale hardly been driven I guess its a silly question to ask for design flaws?
    Friends of mine that have 458 state that the over all quality is WAY better than everything before, does that include the Speciale?
    What are the MUST have options? I do like the Alcantara interior in the sport models. How good is wear and tear? What about the mechanical side, how bullet proof is everything? Cracking mufflers, carbon engine bay, faded glass? All that gone?
    I haven't spend much time with the 458 in general, but (and I guess this is more a question towards track users) how trackable is the car? Its getting very hot here in the summer, any experience with overheating in general?
    I consider the 458 Speciale as the last of its kind. NA, Pininfarina, and - from what the net says - quality wise a huge step up from 430, FF, is that a correct statement?
    I guess also it should be evaluated if the Speciale is 100k "better" than the 458 Italia. How much of an upgrade is Speciale over Italia? Is it worth spending the 100k extra?

Thanks and have a great day!!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Try starting by reading some of the many other Speciale threads - you're not the first person to ask these sorts of question in the past few years

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Speciale is now more of a collecto car. Not sure it’s the right car to buy for the track but you certainly could. You are looking at a minimum of 150k over a 458 if not more. For a track beast, porsche is great. Not too many Speciale out there to color and spec will be limited. No issues with quality or anything like that. They are built well with minimal issues.

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    A GT3 RS is going to be a much better track car. An Italia is going to be a better track car. An occasional around town piggy bank, that looks amazing? Speciale for the win! (My Italia doesn't flinch at 120F track temps. The poor stock alignment results in the tires overheating long before the engine)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    Not sure about the logic of the post that says an Italia is a better track car than a Speciale, which was developed to be lighter, faster and better handling around a track? Nor the one that says it’s not really to be used.

Anyway, I’ve had mine since 2015 when I bought it new.
    I’ve done several track days and it’s a great car on track. Lovely balance and fun to drive on the limit.
    I’ve had zero issues with my car. They come with 7 years free servicing and 4 years warranty in UK, so are well maintained.
    I own and have owned several cars, mostly lightweight variants- GT3RS, 675LT, GT8, 918, Carrera GT, 16m etc and also race in the 488 Challenge and have raced for 8 years. I push cars on track and take all my cars on track. It’s been rock solid.

On the road it’s definitely worth the extra over the Italia. It’s an exciting car to drive at every day speeds and is playful. Sounds great, especially with an after market exhaust.

Quality is great. No sticky buttons, no issues to speak of. Worst thing is the crappy stereo. Really really bad. I upgraded it.
    It’s a car I will never sell and so I recently added every carbon extra that I didn’t order when new, engine bay, diffuser etc. So now it’s a fully specced car with upgraded stereo and switchable Novitec exhaust. Just perfect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerrym, Bhh, plastique999 and 6 others like this.
  6. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Awesome, thanks! Thats the kind of input I was hoping for.
    how many miles do you have on? How is the ceramic behaving? Again, in terms of thermic, do you have any issues as at? I understand that mid engines somewhat are difficult in general, compared to front or rear when it comes to heat.. i used to own a Porsche Boxster Spyder and after a couple of laps on the Nurburgring the tires where crazy hot such as the whole rear end.
    Comparing the Speciale to the 16m, can I conclude that the 16m is somewhat unshaved, raw towards noisy, rattling compared to the speciale? Great to speak to someone that had both. I'm also eyeing the 675LT, especially since they dropped quite good the last half year. Where is the Speciale compared to the 675LT?

Many many THANKS!!

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have both a Speciale and 16M. They are cars from different eras. The 16M has a very “old school” feel about it, smaller view out front with beautifully curved front wings akin to 246 Dino, analog gauges, steering wheel devoid of most buttons (start and manettino), crazy loud, raw, slower more calm steering, lower roofline, and of course that very old school canvas top (which I like).
    Very different cars.

8. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi, a lot of what you say resonates with me. We also have the same car (although you look to have gold wheels?). I’m interested to hear more about your exhaust set up please? What your preferences are for volume etc. I’ve been considering an upgrade as I feel a bit short changed from Italia owners enjoying better sound!

For the OP. I also have a 2015 from new. Travelled 8000km and only a couple of track days. My thoughts are that a Speciale is a car to keep forever. That alone makes it worth the premium over an Italia. Just find the right car you’ll be happy to look at in 10+ years time. No problems with reliability thus far. Perhaps consider steel brakes if you’re tracking it a lot to minimise consumables. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #9 sampelligrino, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    I love my Speciale and also hope to never sell it (just got her last year, 2014 now with 16k miles)

Stereo is God awful, but I'm just thankful I even have one in the car as well as working bluetooth music streaming which the Italias do not

Italias do sound slightly better IMO, but that is the only pro on an Italia over a Speciale for me (cost aside)

I've been thinking of upgrading the stereo and exhaust as well, even though I'm a big OEM guy

10. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I honestly found the 16m chassis like jelly.
    Sounded awesome, but felt like an old car.
    Speciale a world apart.

I wouldn’t normally mess with a car but the stereo is woeful and speakers are cardboard.
    As I never intend to sell it I was happy to upgrade sympathetically. You wouldn’t know as it fully integrates with the standard controls it just sounds amazing now. Everything is in the front boot hidden away under the section that returns towards the bumper. There’s a subtle sub behind the passenger seat on the shelf. Definitely recommend this if you use the car, which I do.
    I’m on 5,000 miles, which doesn’t sound a lot but I did daily it for a while and I have 8 or 9 cars so tend to rotate them. Probably done 4-5 track days. I have a friend who must have done 50 in his.

The exhaust is Capristo valves that are switchable so it can still be quiet. It’s a Novitec exhaust- from memory I didn’t change the cats. I think it needs race cats to open up the sound more. Mine is ok, better than stock, but in all honesty I was a little disappointed as I wanted the high pitch old school V8 sound.

The carbon discs now squeal after tracking it which is a pain. Heat never been a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sampelligrino likes this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nice...glad you are enjoying the Speciale. Would highly reco stereo upgrade. Can always switch back to stock some day when you sell it.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Speciale needs exhaust....
    I have IPE full system, headers back on mine and it perfects the old school high pitched F1 sound.

Sent from my 16M

13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    too loud with a full ipe imo, esp for track days you simply won't be allowed on

as said before these are collectors cars and one of the best ferraris ever made, this is reflected in the pricing. most are in great condition and well kept.

bakes isn't the only person who plans to keep theirs forever :)

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’d like to keep mine forever but would eventually like to trade for an SA

Sent from my 16M

15. bakes17

bakes17 Karting