Oil Question | FerrariChat

Oil Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by luca's308gts, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have 2 Porsches (yes I have a Ferrari - but it seems there are better experts here than I can get to on Porsche sites I've tried).
    I just had oil changes done on a 1982 911 SC and a 1995 993. The shop used Mobil 1 0-40 for both cars, yet the 911 manual suggests petroleum based 20-50, and the 993 manual lists 15-40/15-50 synthetic.
    So the questions are;
    - for the 911 is synthetic oil inappropriate (can loosen up deposits ...) and is the lighter weight an issue (the car does not get driven or started in Winter - Minnesota!)
    - For the 993, is the lighter weight oil a problem for summer driving?

Thanks, "Luca"

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are going to trust the Owner's Manual that was written 40 years ago (1982 SC) back when synthetic oil was not invented?
    As for the 993, 0W40 covers the 15-40 range that is recommended by the 25 years old manual.

Did you try the Pelican Porsche site?

3. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have a 951 1986 Porsche track car with slightly over 100 track events on it over a span of 15 years. The 951 is a turbocharged 4 cylinder vehicle more commonly called a 944. The engine is 1/2 of the 5 liter 928 V8. Mine has a larger turbocharger, runs 16 psi boost, and has a mass flow system plus some other go faster stuff. I ran Mobil 1 15W50 in it for its track life years. Now I use Mobil 1 10W40 and no longer track it. Car has 212K miles on it and still runs quite well. When I bought it the car had 89K miles on it.

So yes, I think synthetic oils work well in old Porsches.

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here’s the thing about oil threads - all of them. You’ll get a hundred answers saying “ I used Brand X or Brand Y for 30 years and it’s been perfect” What you never see is a statement saying “I used Brand Z and my engine seized up after three weeks and was completely destroyed”

So you’ll do a lot of reading and in the end you won’t know any more than you do now.

Hinecker and rjlloyd like this.
  5. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Most important thing is to change your oil. I changed mine every other track event.

6. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I appreciate all the input.
    I have checked the spec's (which are not exactly comparable), and while there are differences in the spec's that are comparable, the variations do not seem significant.
    Net-net, looks like I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I don't know why, but I always read oil threads. They are some kind of entertainment or something.

I will admit I have my own oil religion and use only one specific oil in my two sports cars. My choice was informed by an extended interview of Ryan Stark (owner of Blackstone Labs) in the January 2018 Roundel magazine (magazine of the BMW Car Club of America). His years of testing results show that all oils are good. When asked what oil he uses in his own personal vehicles, he replied, "whatever is on sale".