Thoughts on the 10k mile 328 engine for sale on the BAT? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on the 10k mile 328 engine for sale on the BAT?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ExcelsiorZ, Jul 28, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There is no way to know how many miles are on the engine. It has clearly had work done. If I were purchasing it, I would be prepared for a full overhaul. It has had the plenum and valve covers painted, probably to cover fire damage.

Steve Magnusson and 308 milano like this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There were pictures of a 328, identified as being chassis # 74743 indeed, having been destroyed by fire about a year ago. Parts from it has been from sale here and there since.
    Engine number #01765 seems, completly out of my memory, to be in the right range for such a chassis number, although this seems slightly low (I have to check my archives to try to bracket it between others known cars/engine numbers combination)
    Rgds

ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Checked; it would be a low number for an "euro" engine, but it matches the bracket for a US engine: I have US GTS #73403 with engine #1623.

(This is before the "jump" in engine numbers, from to 3300 to 10000, at about chassis #75500 or so; there is a gap in the engine numbering between 3300 and 10000, i.e, no engine numbered between these brackets; after 10000, the numerotation system changes: all engines are numbered consecutively in one single serie, irrespective of model, V12, V8s, different markets, etc...)

Rgds

308 milano and ExcelsiorZ like this.
  5. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thank you!

6. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thank you!

7. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Any photos of the car or engine post fire?

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    If the gearbox is part of the sale.. Then it's worth at least $10k. Later gearbox includes oil pump and filter, improved dropgear bearings and support.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ExcelsiorZ likes this.
  10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How long can a engine sit still like that before trying to turn it over finally could be a problem? Do rings "stick", I have no idea. Do you squirt something in the plug holes and carefully turn it over by hand at first or what?

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It would be nice to have in my QV when the day comes

Brian Harper likes this.
  12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    On the assembled engines we have sitting here, they get turned by hand once a month when being stored. The QV engine has nickasil liners so it doesn't need the same amount of oil coating the inside, enough to keep the rings from rusting in place. I like Marvel mystery oil. For the 2v engines that I know are going to sit a bit before running I liberally coat the liner and dunk the piston before install.

I don't like putting them together if they are going to sit for more then 6 months. Stuff will rust, had a long block assy for someone that backed out. After a yr of sitting it required a full strip down and redo. Water moisture, oils turn to acid..etc.. sitting engines for long periods is not good. Sure they'll run after sitting, but the risk of stuck rings, etched bearings etc.. not worth it on these.

Also an assy sitting engine only has so much assy lube... It'll creep out and go dry..

Much prefer to keep it all apart, stored in oil paper and wait to assy when needed or sold.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    So really this is nothing as it is now other than an expensive conversation piece?

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Could be, fire damage does funny things to castings. No idea what was done to it for rebuilding. Risky buy.. gearbox would be the only part that is worth it as a running assy.