Similar Tool Kits: 575M, 575 Superamerica, 550, 360, 360 CS and 612 | FerrariChat

Similar Tool Kits: 575M, 575 Superamerica, 550, 360, 360 CS and 612

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 275GTB, Dec 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi
    I am trying to nail down once and for all the correct toolkit for the correct model.

All these cars have very similar looking tool kits: 575 Superamerica, 575M, 550, 360, 360 CS and 612

From my research, the outer appearance of all the cases looks the same or very very similar, but on the inside there are small differences. This is what i have found from my research, please correct or confirm where possible. I am sure with it being Ferrari there are plenty of oddities to be found.

many thanks as always
    Mark

The Ferrari 575 Superamerica tool kit, differs from the standard 575M as it has the hex T-bar tool cut into the foam, small older style headlight bulb:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

the standard Ferrari 575M Maranello tool kit, manual and F1 car (no T-bar):

The Ferrari 550 Maranello (and 550 Barchetta) tool kit, distinguishable by the 6 fuse arrangement and the different shape of the screwdriver handle?:

The Ferrari 612 tool kit, easily distinguishable from the fuse arrangement, same screwdrivers as the 550:

I believe this is a standard Ferrari 360 tool kit, F1 & Manual car - but it look the same as the 575 Superamerica tool kit (it has the T-bar), the difference is main beam headlight bulb is the larger version?:

Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale Tool Kit, this differs from the standard Ferrari 360 tool kit, note the different tool arrangement with the wheel socket cut into the set. I assume that is for the light weight wheel studs?

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, the titanium wheel bolts on the CS have a 17 mm hex opening. I have a set on my 575M.

360s originally came with conventional halogen headlight bulbs, but at some point the 575M-type high performance headlight bulbs were available as options or standard.

No idea why the Superamerica came with the halogen bulbs, since the headlights are identical to the 575M.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  3. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken

Thanks Terry,

so you are saying the 360 could have either of the bulbs (conventional halogen headlight bulbs or high performance), depending on the original spec selected, and the factory assembly line were smart enough to put the correct bulb kit in to that specific car? If that was the case, then the 575 Superamerica tool kit above could also be the correct tool kit for a 360 with that bulb fitment?

would it have been possible that the 575 Superamerica had the option off the high performance headlight bulbs over the conventional halogen headlight bulbs?

many thanks

4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Ignore that!

i think i have answered it myself, the distinguishing feature of both the 360 & 360CS from any 575 tool kit, is the fuse and bulb arrangement - so it looks like both 360 kits have 5 large fuses versus only 4 in the 575 kits (the 360 having an extra 20 amp large fuse).

Also the 360 kits have 4 small light bulbs versus the 3 small light bulbs in the 575 kits, plus the 360 kits have the orange glass indicator bulb, the 575 kits do not.

So i think, at the moment, the original post with all the kits labelled as they are is still correct.

thanks
    Mark

5. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Brilliant research Mark.
    However i got something for you to puzzle. Whats that small hexagon / pin thingy doing there?
    it is supposed to be a 360 kit... but is it a later/early/special edition?
    Keen to hear your suggestions :)

6. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi,
    I am not sure, but I have seen it a few times in kits advertised on ebay - all these kits have been on ebay in the USA, so maybe its something that is specific to a US spec car?

I cant find any reference in a UK/Euro spec users manual - but it may be in a latter addition?

Can you check, does it fit on the end of the t-bar hex drive that is on the left side of your kit? I suspect it is something to do with a later spider, but need proof.

7. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    what about spare tire and jack kits? :)

8. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    I need a 550 set if any of you fellas has an extra.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My old 550 (an early one, '96) had the tool kit as pictured, with all tools marked 'USAG'; however the 550 I just got has "Ferrari" marked tools although it has the typical fuses and bulbs arrangements of a 550 tool kit - I'm not sure whether it's consistent (all these kits fit in the same case, so there could be some mismatch...)

10. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    My '98 550 (July 1997 build) also has the USAG tools. No Ferrari-branded stuff at all.

11. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    sorry for late reply yes fits!
    Any new infos on this extra hexa tool on top of the t bar?

12. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Ok found answer: this square topper is emergency tool for the spider top. Has own part no even that small cutie :)

13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    nice detective work!

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I just noticed (as a worthwile contribution ;p) that the 550 toolkit pictured in the Nathan Beehl's book (the Ferrari 550 and 575 - road and race legends) seems to be Ferrari branded, like the more recent toolkit I got and unlike the previous one, which was USAG branded as pictured above... so there might have been two versions (eurospares indeed shows two versions, but I cannot make any sense from the car number they quote for the change since it does not look like a 550 chassis number).