FF vs 991.2 GT3 Manual | FerrariChat

FF vs 991.2 GT3 Manual

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by nickorette, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    #1 nickorette, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Current stable includes a DBS V12 Manual, F430 F1 and have Huracan Evo RWD Spyder inbound Q4. Problem is the harsh Canadian winters mean I'm literally dying 6 months of the year when it's too cold or snowy to take the cars out.

Started thinking about adding a car that I could also use/enjoy in the winter. Capable to go on spirited drives on winter tyres and capable if I got caught out in a snowstorm during a weekend getaway. Thinking a Porsche would be a good compliment to the line-up, with the GT3 manual being the favourite of many respected car journalists and winners of many COTY. A thoroughbred driver`s car with a nice engine and manual gearbox. C4S probably the more capable choice but like the more exotic/heightened nature of GT3.

However for the same money I could get a well spec`d Ferrari FF, would be more capable in the winter and offer that glorious V12. No use for the rear seats currently and looks divide many, but I kind of like the rarity, interior and unique design.

I understand the FF is more of a GT car and the GT3 more of a sportscar, but not having any experience behind the wheel of either I’m curious to get thoughts and opinions.

2. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    A very close friend owns a 991 GT3RS with Manthey chassis + engine tune and a Akra exhaust.
    The FF is more comfortable and offers more room to the driver.
    The GT3 wheelbase is shorter so the car more reactive, more fun on small roads, easier to play with. FF is fun as well but needs more talent IMHO to really play with it.
    Being a 6,3liter the FF engine offers better low end power and torque, the GT3 sound is amazing but the V12 is a symphony.
    Their power delivery is kind of the same, they really wake up >5000rpm and are work of art N/A engines, the FF engine is more sporty vs its 4 seats configuration lets believe.
    As you said, 2wd vs 4wd as well; regarding your location and what is already in your stable I would go the FF, the GT3 is a dry road beast to enjoy with semi slicks.
    Now I'm talking about the 991, not the 992 but pretty close imho.
    My 50 cents...

nickorette and Way2fast like this.
  3. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    My FF is a daily driver all winter. I highly recommend the FF over a GT3 as an every day car in the snow. Just remember AWD only works though 4th gear. Once you hit 5th it’s rear wheel drive :)

nickorette likes this.
  4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Make sure you get an FF with lift. It adds another 1.6 inches to the already generous 5 inch ground clearance and could make the difference between getting home in an unexpected snowstorm or not. The only downer is that it deactivates above 25mph so you'll be getting home slowly...

nickorette likes this.
  5. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I believe the FF would be the way to go here, the all wheel drive would be a huge benefit during inclement weather. I have a GT3 and would not even imagine driving that car in the snow ,it sits so low that it would become a snow plow with any accumulation on the ground. It's a fabulous fair weather car but not a winter car.

nickorette likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Both would compliment your stable well. But seeing how you miss driving proper cars during bad winters, FF is the way to go. Especially if you have kids.

FF still splits people 50/50...I'm in the group that absolutely LOVES it.

nickorette, ANOpax and Nospinzone like this.
  7. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    I had both, a 2011 FF (did 30,000km) and then a GT3 Touring (did 12.000 km) which I used with both summer and winter tyres. The GT3 is a purist, nearly monastic with a precision to everything - an intellectual experience along an amazing mechanically brute engine and manual gearbox. The car always works in every detail. Tyres too wide for much real snow stuff though. The FF has an incredibly broad range of uses including going to the slopes with skis inside. The engine note on start up and at 8.250 revs is to die for. Ultimately the FF is an emotional experience with some practical downsides (battery tender, need to think about where you park it, old ICE etc). In summary: I sold the GT3 and am looking to buy a GTC4 in the autumn.... hope this helps

nickorette and Outrun like this.
  8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FF everyday twice over.. its probably one of my favourite Ferraris of the modern era and its a bit more raw then my current Lusso. I am not sure how you can compare such different cars because I have Speedster and a Lusso they are like night and day BUT I can see where you are going with it fun in the winter. Yeah I know it sucks so bad.. but I do even feel kind of bad taking my Lusso out during the bad snow days but on the decent days its fun. I drove a 991.2 Carrera T threw one winter and it was planted but had heated seats and steering wheel so different. But yeah I would go FF.. its amazing if you have never owned a V12 Ferrari.

nickorette likes this.