458 - Speciale to Speciale Aperta | FerrariChat

458 Speciale to Speciale Aperta

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by plastique999, Jul 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Has anyone made this move?
    I’ve always wanted an Aperta but couldn’t see paying nearly double for it. I love my coupe but considering the move to the Aperta if and when prices seem a bit more reasonable.
    I remember my buddy sold his red SA with 3k miles several months ago at an all time low of $487k, should have bought it!
    If I trade my Speciale plus cash, wondering what would be the cash differential to make it worth it....$200k worth it. $300k makes me wonder.
    I was negotiating on the white one at Naples asking $599k, but they never gave me numbers and sold it.
    SF has one for $697k with 97 miles but I want to drive mine and hence don’t see the value in paying this premium. Interior a bit banal.
    If anyone knows of any white SA’s I could trade my coupe for, please let me know!

Sent from my 16M

2. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I am considering exactly same for few months already, makes perfect sense to me.

plastique999 likes this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Curious, as a collectible/money maker/just prefer the aesthetics?
    I always wanted one, but having owned/owning 2 458 spiders and a Speciale coupe previously I dont have the itch anymore. The spiders have so much flex that it’s really a cruiser vs an attack car. Depends what you want I guess.

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #4 IloveGT, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    This year around Jan, the Ferrari Westlake was very desperate to sell me their SA, 2015, 1200 miles, Blu Pozzi. one owner. Very clean car. Our deal didn't work out right before they auctioned the car. They wanted 520k, and will take my 458 at 210k. But they were not willing to take my 2016 FF at the same time. I don't think they had a buyer for my 458 yet, with the trade in at 210 meaning they would make no money on the trade, and their selling price of 520, I knew they were desperate.

I know the auction didn't go well either. They couldn't get the price they want. Then I don't know.

Ergo, I think SA price definitely is not at asking, let alone the pandemic should have some effect, even a little bit.

plastique999 likes this.
  5. maomaoferrari

maomaoferrari Karting

Jan 23, 2004
    How much did it sell for at the auction? The spec is gorgeous

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    no the car didn't sell at auction. they took it back and when I wanted to initiate the contact again, I then realized they sold it.

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The delta is caused by the limited number of "499" and its being spider. I have a feeling that with your speciale trade in, it will be more than 200 in delta, maybe close to 250, assuming your trade in of speciale is 300, and the SA sells for 550.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I could do those numbers ....

Sent from my 16M

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The people that I know made that move were all lucky enough to get the Aperta in their spec for sticker. Have yet to meet someone who made the move second hand.

Aperta values have fallen alot faster than coupe, most likely due to the exact sentiment you are feeling (why get an Aperta when a coupe is half price).

The good thing is that there are really only two added value props of the Aperta, which makes comparison easy. If you massively care about exclusivity, and you love the open top driving experience, then the Aperta may be worth the $250K difference.

Only thing to note is that the exclusivity value of the Aperta is lessened because it is ultimately just a convertible variant of a more common model. The closer in similarity to an exclusive model is to a non-exclusive model, the less the value of the exclusivity.

Personally, I put only a little value on exclusivity and dislike open top driving, so for me, the transition wouldn't be worth paying $250K extra for.

ppg70, Clay512TR and LARRYH like this.
  10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    what if you get a RS and keep the speciale.

I know what you are going through.. it's the damn itch.

I finally saw the 765LT. OMG! I want it. Our addiction is so frigging expensive. It's crazy.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s a great question... as you may have heard, I sold my 16M so I’m now missing a convertible which serves well here in SoCal.
    I would say it’s a combination of all of the above. I love the Speciale platform, the sound, the handling, the right amount of feel before the digital era. I want the convertible and do like that it is limited to 1 of 499. I do like the aesthetics and give the nod to the Pista, but feel it is not limited (enough) and won’t do the modern turbo (yet).
    I don’t look at it as a money maker but more so that it will depreciate “less” than regular production models. It will take a while (and another bubble) for values to rise.
    Collectibility, yes, is important as I do like limited run cars. This may be the more important aspect to me.
    I’d also love a TDF, but that will be later.

Sent from my 16M

veilstylez, ryalex and IloveGT like this.
  12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I don't blame the OP for considering the switch. In my Speciale I have the windows down just about 100% of the time here in LA just to get more of the glorious noise, so to be able to drop the top and have the sky as your headliner sure sounds nice. Also not that I care about future value of a car, but I wouldn't be too scared to sink 500k into an SA given only 499 worldwide as far as we know and the fact that it's the last NA V8 from Maranello

There was an absolutely stunning SA that sold on BaT a couple months ago, loved the spec AND the fact that she had miles on her, sold for 476k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-ferrari-458-speciale-2/

IloveGT likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    As beautiful as the SA is I dont think I could deal with the body flex.

boobernackle and Coincid like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I can say the one over here that I followed went from 1.5 million and down to 0.9 million and still not sold

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good points, cant fault that.
    Superamerica?

16. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Have you ever driven a 675LT spider?

IloveGT likes this.
  17. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    That is beautiful, but I would love to get pozzi speciale.

Avia11 likes this.
  18. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    Sorry, meant coupe

Avia11 likes this.
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    True yes, I’ve sold a few cars in the past year and have some garage space now wanting to fill it...had a CGT which is the only P car that I’ve owned. Can’t do Mac as it is too refined for my taste.

Sent from my 16M

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well.... I’d prefer a 599 GTO...but then really would want the TDF...such a slippery slope.
    Part of the chase is sticking to one or two goals which is so difficult.

Sent from my 16M

Ssaa77 and italiafan like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Haven’t and would like to, but the Mac is not on my radar at the moment.

Sent from my 16M

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I started looking at gto’ s, which led to tdf, which led to f40...f50...doesn’t end!

plastique999 and italiafan like this.
  23. gthompson

gthompson Rookie

Apr 15, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    George Thompson
    I agree with you 100%
    I had both the Speciale coupe and spider. Both cars were great, but the spider flexed so much. I have the Pista coupe now and I am very happy with it and I am not getting the spider.
    If the Speciale spider was a few thousand more, maybe its worth it, but not $100,000 - $250,000 more

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My sentiment as well.
    I will say that my newer to me 2013 Spider has a lot less flex than my 2015 had, despite the 2013 having nearly 2.5x the miles.