360 - Has anyone tried redline MTL in a 360? | FerrariChat

360 Has anyone tried redline MTL in a 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ttforcefed, Jul 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Where? Transaxle? I wouldn’t. The axle gears are under lots of pressure, so you need at least GL-4. GL-5 is specified but can be hard on synchros.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Same for 355 but it works wonders. Gets rid of all the notchiness and difficult cold second gear shift.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There is another thread on this that went on at length. Many concluded that 75–90 GL-4 was the best compromise. GL-5, which is what factory specs, bonded too tightly to the synchros, shearing off metal and causing premature wear. That is the notchiness you perceive, whether F1 or stick. You don’t have this with GL-4. I went to that several years ago, and shifts are smooth, even second. The risk is wear on the axle hypoid gears, which are better protected with GL-5. But after a year of GL-4, I had Blackstone Lab test my trans oil and it looked clean with no large amount of metal content. MTL probably is fine for the shifter but you won’t know how much wear you incur to the hypoid gears unless you test the oil or tear down the axle and look at the gears.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes im aware. Just asking if anyone has used it in a 360 to comment on long practical use.