Fuel tank balance pipe hose | FerrariChat

Fuel tank balance pipe hose

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Be warned. I have experienced a severe leak from the fuel tank balance pipe hose(s) both on my 308GTS and my Dino. The hoses are from SF (#101468) and they are less than 5 years old. The hoses appears to be made of some kind silicone product. The hoses are clearly not resistant to fuel. The latest leak offloaded 5 Ltr of fuel within less than 10 minutes so we are talking about a serious incident. I have contacted SF for their comments, but have not received any reply yet. I run 95 or 98 octane with 5% ethanol. Anyone got a recommendation for a good hose to replace with? Hose ID = 35mm or 1 3/8".

Best, Peter

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great catch.
    These are critical hoses and a very serious safety issue - thank you for posting this.

These hoses are often neglected and fail too soon
    When I inspected 05082 shortly after purchase I saw serious micro-cracking everywhere
    - Scary photo below
    Replaced with Scuderia Rampante and will only use their hoses

PS - have you checked your Fuel Filler Neck hose too? That one is typically in similar condition to the cross tank fuel hoses

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Peter,
    Can you post pics if there are any markings on the hose?
    thanks Andrew

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Peter
    All to common problem nowadays, cheap rubbish from the far east is flooding the markets masqueraded as SAE R9 hoses. They use a cheap rubber and it perishes quickly, months in some cases. I had Codan fuel hoses on the carbs and that perished rather quickly and when i complained to Codan they told me after examination it wasnt their hose, they kindly sent me FOC a new set and the difference was obvious.

These are the only people i found here that stock the odd size of 35mm ID bore hose and its R7 compatible, this has a higher permitivity (550g/m2/day )than R9 at 15 g/m2/day. Nobody sells 35mm R9 hoses in such short quantities and that size.

Ask them and tell them your application also check OD of the pipe with them as this stuff is rather thick.

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/t604-t605-oil-fuel-suction-delivery/

You need NBR lined as this has the best qualities for bio fuels, abrasion and UV stability. Avoid some silicone hoses as they can be bad regarding abrasion.

Tony

synchro likes this.
  5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks all for the comments and leads to better hoses. I believe the SF hose is cast from Silicone and there are no cloth or fiber reinforcement which can explain the total failure when the Silicone gave up. Have a look on the pictures below and judge for your self. I can't belive I just installed these on my BBi and they are a ***** to reach.

Hose in situ:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RH side hose showing two holes right through, hereof one BIG hole:

RH side hose from the back side:

LH side hose showing a pin hole:

Hose seen from top. No marking or other identifications on the hose apart from the shown casting dots:

Anyone that have experience with the DP hose or knows the spec?

Best, Peter

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Scary!
    Keen eye to catch this tragedy before it happened

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Peter,
    Mine are from Maranello and are reinforced and wrapped. i checked them yesterday and seem fine. Might be best to stick with OE suppliers on these.

Thanks for the heads up on this, any word from SF?
    Best Andrew

Attached Files:

russh likes this.
  8. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I came to same conclusion after long time of searching. OEM from Maranello UK must be the way to go. Scuderia Rampante has a good reputation, but is to "complicated" to buy for my taste. No words from SF, maybe due to holiday season?

Best, Peter

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Strange because I bought hoses from Superformance and got the exact ones dgt posted photos of. They are the black hoses with the white stripe and 'triple G' logo on it. I had these on my 308 for 15 years and they looked brand new when I took them off to replace them.

Silicone is totally wrong for this application (unless it is specially made for fuel with the correct liner built in).

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #11 pshoejberg, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Rob, you have been lucky. You bought the last stock of original Maranello approved fuel hoses from SF and since then it has been down hill...-:)

I must have timed my shopping very badly since I ended up with these disastrous hoses on all my cars. I have bought the silicone hoses between 2013 and 2018. They appear to be pure cast Silicone with no matrix nor inner liner. I've got this response from SF today:

"Thank you for the email and all of your information. These pipes have been changed over the years as we have sourced new suppliers. I have attached photos for you to see. Please let me know how many replacements you require, and I will send these out to you today"

This is a very short reply with no acknowledgment or verification of the problem. I assume that others than me must have experienced the same issue and I wonder how many cars there are on the road waiting for fuel to leak in wast amounts?

SF new hose is still a silicone hose, but now supplied with a matrix and most importantly a liner. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a much better solution taken into account that the liner is rated for modern eco petrol.

Best, Peter

Photo of the SF NEW hose:

synchro likes this.
  12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's great Superformance stepped up and is getting you the good fuel hoses now.

Gates 253 hose marked NBR = Nitrilized Butylene Rubber
    That's getting old school, most stuff now is HNBR

The Gate's White Stripe cross tank hoses were the common ones sold by Ferrari Suppliers 10+ years ago. I bought a set from Rutlands as spares, I'll look in my spares box for them to confirm the same markings as above.

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Glad to see that SF have responded and willing to rectify the situation. What other supplier would do that after 4 + years

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    SF is a great company. I have bought a good part of my Ferrari spare parts from them over the last decade and they have always supplied me with good service. And I will continue to buy parts from them due to their wast selection of parts and good service. But their aftermarkets products doesn't differentiate much from other vendors when it comes to quality. Always count on some of them being junk then you don't get disappointed. Safety critical stuff though I would expect to be proven quality.....but everyone can fail and i have also learned a lesson or two about hose standards and eco fuels.

Best Peter

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Yes you are right Tony. The 308 hoses are even older, maybe six or seven years in service. I would not have been so concerned if it was a small leak and the hose still had some mechanical integrity. But with this type of hose a total collapse could be expected after some years and that is not acceptable in my book. Safety critical equipment must not be designed just to last the warranty period and then break down with a total collapse.

Best, Peter

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Peter
    You are right to be concerned and agree that safety critical items need good quality but regardless of what it is, quality extends to almost everything, a badly machined tyre valve for instance can cause a major safety critical incident. So in my book quality goes with everything thats sold.

I was actually at Sf today and spoke to Colin about it and he was very concerned and will no doubt investigate the situation, but the product i purchased from them about 3 years ago looks nothing like your hoses.

As you have no doubt found out, the biggest headache for this part is the size, most manufacturers dont make 35mm bore so its a difficult item to source.

Modern fuels and the ever increasing blends of Ethanol alcohol (due to increase to E10 and even E15) are proving very troublesome with classic cars, Nitrile (NBR) is the best option as far as i can determine as its used as a liner with other products to improve strength and durability and due to its lack of ozone resistance and oxidising ageing, HNBR was developed to overcome this when used solely on its own. The 2 are quite different.

Standards mean diddly in reality as SAE and DIN have vastly differing specifications and compliance when it comes to how manufacturers blend the polymers.

As i said previously, Cohline who must be regarded as a industry standard, have been victims of fake products and no doubt others too. the item that failed on me was stamped Cohline along the carcass but was fake.

Best

tony

pshoejberg likes this.
  17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    synchro likes this.
  18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    To round this off I just got confirmed that I will get new upgraded replacement hose sets from SF for my cars. Prompted reaction, no discussion and great service from SF as usual.

Best, Peter

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The parts a cheap. Would they be covering the labor costs if others had to do this work ? I doubt it and that would be the real rub.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Did they offer any explanation for reason(s) having previously sold lesser quality items ?

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    With the greatest respect you name one supplier that would honour replacing the items after 4+ years. Without hesitation and not knowing the full history of the item, they stepped up to the mark and did what most suppliers sadly lack. Your part looks correct item
    This is not to say Peter has misused the item in any way as we all know his competence but there are lots who could of abused the part and then cried wolf when it went wrong!
    Best regards
    Tony

Jamie H and TTR like this.
  22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    No offense taken, I was just making the point that the real expense in these cars is the labor. If you have to do something twice due to bad parts, that’s what would bother me. Hope you’ve been doing well Tony.

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    All good Skipp - you?

i have had parts sent out from other suppliers and they didnt fit, when i wanted to return the said item ! was told that as i had used them they couldnt be returned !!!!

Best as always

tony

24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Doing well. Too hot in the Southland for a Dino at the moment.

25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    After some routine work decided to replace the fuel filter while i had the car up on the jacks and noticed this from the fuel tank to filter.
    This is supposed to be SAE J30R9 fuel hose ie bio fuel proof & top spec........or is it!!!

Spoke to the supplier and he tells me the product seems to have exceeded the max bend radius and therefore the inner liner has ruptured allowing fuel to come into contact with the outer sheath, consequently dissolving the rubber. It wasnt actually leaking so how they can make that statement is beyond me but the fuel has permeated to the outer sheath somehow!

The war continues, but in this instance the supplier shut the door.

Going to try this hose to see how long that lasts

https://www.cohpro.com/fuel-hose-ethanol-bio-safe-7-3mm.html

Check your hoses guys, this product only lasted 4 years

tony

GermanDino likes this.