360 Modena F1 - Jerky transmission | FerrariChat

360 Modena F1 - Jerky transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Andrea348, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrea348

Andrea348 Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    Italy
    Hi everyone,

Lately, I experienced some problems with the transmission of my 2003 360 Modena F1 car, I did not before. When the engine is still cold and I downshift, for few seconds the transmission jerks. Then, when engine is hot, problem practically disappears. In normal driving and in upshifting no problem appears and the transmission is always smooth, also with engine cold.

Did anyone experience the same problem? Could be a signal of a needed service for the clutch or something worst?

Thanks

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like a good start would be to service the F1 system. F1 fluid should be changed every three years and the system bled, leak checks made, and a self test run. PIS can also be optimized at that time to give best service from the clutch.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Sounds like the throw out bearing is dragging when cold. I have seen this before. It will require resealing the throw out bearing. If that is the issue. You should seek a qualified Ferrari tech with the proper diagnostic tools to handle this job. It may not need to be rebuilt as tazandjan said, it may just need to be serviced, again by a qualified Ferrari tech with the proper tools.

4. Andrea348

Andrea348 Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    Italy
    Thank you for your suggestions, I'll check and then update you

Ferrari Tech likes this.