I'm sure I'm not alone? First time considering Ferrari California. Yes/No? | FerrariChat

I'm sure I'm not alone? First time considering Ferrari California. Yes/No?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Pickering, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Pickering

Jul 30, 2020
    MA
    Full Name:
    Bill Pickering
    I'm on track to purchase a 2014 Ferrari California this week. Love the car. Slightly higher miles at 21K. Does anyone here know what I should be looking for? It's currently at Ferrari for inspection. I have a one year goal before my son goes to college. What can I expect for resale in one year? Will I be able to drive this every day? I don't have a garage full of cars so this will be it. Thanks for any help! -=B.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #2 vjd3, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Is it the white one at Porsche Westwood?

It will depreciate a little bit in a year. Since it will be, in theory, without a warranty, the biggest things to worry about are the top mechanism, the dual clutch transmission and the brakes. The 14 car is pretty good on the transmission, but there can be very expensive issues that will be a lot more than the cost of buying a Ferrari New Power warranty for the car -- Ferrari of New England can sell that to you. The top can be expensive to fix if something goes wrong -- I had issues with my 2013 top -- but if it's working well now and has no history of problems, it will likely be fine. This would also be covered under the New Power warranty if you get it. The brakes are supposed to last a long time but you will want Ferrari to take a hard look at the wear, the pads and rotors, as they are super expensive if you need to replace them. If the previous owner did a track day or two on it, that can wear the brakes down quickly. And it does have some miles on it.

It's also probably at the end of its free services lifespan, so you will want to make sure the service is up to date, check when the next one is due and if it's close, negotiate to have it done at Ferrari on the other dealer's dime. That service can also serve as the inspection if you decide to go for the warranty.

You can drive the car every day, although I would not want to drive it in winter weather, obviously.

Bill Pickering likes this.
  3. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    Perfectly fine to drive every day. Better than a 911 in my opinion

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I own a 2013 California with the HS (handling speciale) package. It really improves the ride of the car. The only way to know if a car has it is to look on the build sheet. This was a $7000 option. In my opinion a PPI (pre purchase inspection) is essential for peace of mind. Check age of tires and battery and make sure the motor mounts have not deteriorated. (There are specific threads regarding motor mounts on F-chat.) Then buy and enjoy!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not much to add to the excellent advice above, but to save me from working on reports & spreadsheets, I plotted the price vs mileage for the 16 2014 Calis on cars.com.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The graph says that 5K miles will cost you $7.5K; double it for other costs (gas, maintenance, unexpected repairs, depreciation, etc.) and my wild a$$ guestimate is this will cost you $1,000 per month for q year of ownership! Let's go worst case scenario and double it, $2K/month. Would I pay that much for all the fun & benefits of owning my Cali, you bet I would! :D
    OK, gotta get back to my day job. Good luck w/ the purchase, and post up some pics when you seal the deal.
    T

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Me personally, would not purchase a car where I felt I had to sell it in a year. You buy retail, sell wholesale, pay taxes (6% in my state), suffer depreciation, pay for repairs and maintenance.

AlexBen and Bill Pickering like this.
  7. Bill Pickering

Jul 30, 2020
    MA
    Full Name:
    Bill Pickering
    Wow!!! You guys are amazing! Thank you so much! I will be heading down today. I'll be sure to ask about all the posted advise. As with any big purchase it comes with some hesitation. This is my dream car. Just want to say I owned a Ferrari before I die! Hopefully the service manager has some good news for me today! Thanks so much again! -=B.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wishing you a spotless PPI.
    Welcome to the madness!
    T

9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I agree with Shark01. This is a car, not an investment. We've owned ours about a year now (3rd owner) with no regrets. It's our car now, for the duration. If you go for it, go for it with ownership in mind, not resale value. Maintain it, love it, and drive it whenever you can! That's the best way to look at it!

Dubaicity, Justicepool and tomc like this.
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    P.S. Don't be afraid of miles, only of lack of maintenance (see "mileage anxiety" post on F-chat). These cars were meant to be driven and if the maintenance schedule has been followed, that's a good indication that the prior owner(s) cared about the car (as most F-car owners do).

Bill Pickering and Piper like this.
  11. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Any updates, Bill?

12. Bill Pickering

Jul 30, 2020
    MA
    Full Name:
    Bill Pickering
    Quite a day yesterday! I took my 15yr old son to the dealer with me to check on the status of the 2014 California. We had an amazing day and Bill the service manager could not have been nicer. He gave us a tour of the showroom and pointed out some special cars. Admittedly being a Porsche fan, the GT2 and GT3 were pretty sweet too. He then took us to the "storage" building where they were keeping my "consideration". That's when I wish I pulled out my camera. All I have to say is wow! Some real beauties in there (including the California!). I placed a deposit on the car of over a week from Porsche of Westwood. They dropped off the car to Ferrari last Friday. They have not called me in that time (you have my deposit for a week and don't even call?). Turns out Porsche still had not "approved" work on the Cali. I'm little disappointed as I was the one who followed up with Ferrari to see if there were any underlying issues. And there was! One week is now turning into two. I felt compelled to call the Porsche dealer after my visit and ask what was going on (of course having spent the afternoon with the service manager at Ferrari all day..)The dealers are not associated). They said they would look into it? Ironically, Porsche approved the work that day. Seems there is two intake sensors that are throwing codes? They replaced the passenger side and now need to de-carbon the drivers side? Something about removing the exhaust manifold? Anyone have an idea as to what that's all about? So my anxiety still exists and I'm in a holding pattern. Bill was able to provide the spec sheet and full service history! It looks like things are in order? I'm no expert and I'm happy to post if any of you would like to take a look? Love a second opinion! Cheers, Bill

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Bill is a great guy. Can't hurt to upload the findings, there are some knowledgable people on here.

14. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Did you end up picking up the car? If you’re located in IL shoot me a note. I may be able to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Bill Pickering

Jul 30, 2020
    MA
    Full Name:
    Bill Pickering
    Thank you. Not yet. I'm in MA although I used to live in Naperville!

Windy City Ferrari likes this.
  16. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I sold my beloved 997S cab and it was 2015 911 Turbo vs 2015 Cali T for my next car. I ultimately chose the Cali T and couldn't be happier. The hard top is simply awesome, the performance is great and I always get parked right out front at foo foo restaurants.