Maserati Khamsin | Page 339 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Rolf: glad you identified the problem.

Marc: I am sure there are "old world" techs that know their stuff but never look down on "new world" techs as we were able to pinpoint the problem, without even looking at the car, from 4,600 miles away :)

Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi AMLC

My guess for the red car is that its chassis no is #1166, same as the licence plate :)

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Rolf...

Can you post a picture of what you are referring to.....

Mike

boralogist likes this.
  4. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes Roger, that´s possible :). If that chassis number is still "free",
    I would expect a higher chassis number though, somewhere between #1240 and #1280?
    I think Marc will find it somehow.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ivan no disrespect was meant at all:) my point was There was no point for Rolf to go beyond this forum or his old world contacts, I knew US experts here would come through:)

I do not recall the people Bob mentioned posting here recently or ever, Gene or that Citroen US north east garage, maybe in the old previous yahoo forum or maybe I am wrong.They would be most welcome.

Regarding the red US K in England, considering the cost of thousands of pounds for a special number plate I doubt that is its chassis number, I was told that car was not particularly well maintained so don't see the man spending on that. One important point is that while in the US you pay fifty or so dollars for what number plate you want as I did in 2004, in the UK you pay thousands to a plate reseller for a plate that already exists and is usually not spelled or numbered right. For example in 1982 in the UK I rode in a Ferrari Lusso with number plate LUS5O...one character wrong.

The great UK collector Lord Bamford who owns the JCB tractor firm (and has two genuine 250gto's) once saw the JCB plate with a number on a scooter at a scooter dealer and bought several scooters with JCB and a sequential number behind: JCB for John Clayton Bamford his initials. Really costly and not simple in the UK.
    Here in France impossible, I saw one 308 with personal plate in the 80s, one, he looked like a member of our parliament to me.

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    look into the market for Low digit license plates from Delaware sometime. https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2018/08/30/there-bubble-de-low-numbered-tags/1051602002/

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Do Ivan and I get a gold star for nailing it? I don't even own a Khamsin. :p

Marc came to the USA Maserati community via TMC on the east coast. A long and sometimes torturous story which fortunately Doug Magnon and others got turned around in California so that it's a fully united Maserati community now. So I'm not surprised he's completely unaware of some of the older and expert communities on the west coast. Eugene O'Gorman is a long time Maserati club member and he's owned, rebuilt and sold just about all of them. He was the chief mechanical engineer for one of the major Silicon Valley manufactures for a long time and then retired to futz even more with Maseratis and other cars. He's fully capable of rebuilding and manufacturing the parts for any of these cars. That's why I suggested him. But now we have the answer.

I still have a question though. Is there any flow between the front/rear braking systems via these two parts or just notification of an imbalance? I ask because I don't see how you bleed these two parts????

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob you and Ivan get five stars and a banana republic general's hat how is that:D?!

I first heard the name of O'Gorman over 20 years ago but just never had the pleasure of communicating with him, if you want to invite him to share his memories here or put us on touch that would be much appreciated, grazie in advance:)

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He's already here and has commented plenty in other threads. No invite needed. He's relocated from California to Idaho where's doing some fly fishing I presume?

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8461 AMLC, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Just found out that if you go to https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?locale=en and enter the number plate of for instance #445 (MGJ....) you can see that it is a Maserati, with 4900 cc, has valid MOT, is taxed and more information.
    If you enter the number plate of the US Khamsin (1166..) at the concours in 2002 the system says that the car is a Citroen with 2670 cc, brown, and more information.
    So the plates do not belong to the Khamsin.
    Also found a photo of the car that they do belong to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/90461577@N00/16655913034/
    This photo of the SM was taken at the Bicester Heritage Sunday Brunch scramble 26/4/2015 (see https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/178259/bicester-heritage-sunday-brunch-scramble)

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ahah so Mr AH was naughty and used his SM plate on his K for that show;) he is now 80 and that car has not been seen at events for years...

13. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

I just found two more pictures of a golden car in Japan, at Seaside Motor, unfortunately not from the front, so not sure about vents,
    and sorry that the Jota takes up so much space :)

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/276373/blog/40714613/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8464 Nembo1777, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Hi Roger, excellent thanks, do you know when that was? The 2017 report clearly includes photos from many years before. The Lambo silhouette means this is 1977 or later. The writer also states it was over twenty years ago.

We'll pardon the fantasy Jota or two for now;)

15. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    The person says he took his selfie in the LP400, which I guess is at the same location and time as the others:

Bing translation:
    The title image is 1977.11.14 Saitama Prefecture People's Day (40 years ago), yokohama SSSA (seaside motor) LP400 Japan imported no. 2 car in the driver's seat of the new car at the time in the (^_^)v.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8466 AMLC, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    US Khamsin, white with beige leather, automatic, US front bumper (and rear probably, can’t see), adjustable (electric) side mirror. Don’t see a licence plate at the front but maybe that’s because it’s so dark under that huge bumper.;)
    The photos (scroll down on the page): https://www.gettyimages.ie/photos/john-schneider-return?events=158928329&family=editorial&page=2&phrase=john schneider return&sort=newest
    The text: “LOS ANGELES - JANUARY 20: Actor John Schneider attends "The Dukes of Hazzard" Celebrate the Return of Original Cast Members John Schneider and Tom Wopat on January 20, 1983 at Perino's Restaurant in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Ron Galella/Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images)”.

Is it possible to identify this car? There are not many Khamsins in this color combination I think?
    He apparently (also) owned (and liked) a Maserati Bora, see this article from 1997 in Motortrend: https://www.motortrend.com/news/questioning-john-schneider/.

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    2 interesting things on the car. The US parking light housing are painted body color. The other is the location of the electric rear view mirror control.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8468 Nembo1777, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Bedankt for that AMLC,

No I have never seen one with the s***t shovels sorry the US version front indicator frames painted body color. As Joe mentions the mirror and inside adjuster are unusual too, and also perhaps the speaker in the door.

As you know many US states do not require a front number plate.

I have checked all the white US cars I have such as 1022, 1024, 1134 (which never went to the US), 1146, 1254, 1260, 1274, 1330 (red leather) and it matches neither so it is either a white car not yet in my database or I have it after color change without said change being mentioned. I will look first at resale red cars with the indicator frames with that chrome surround at the front end around the lights, a late car feature and not often seen.

I am surprised he would choose an automatic if he is supposed to be such a good driver as is stated in the article about him but perhaps for Los Angeles traffic...

Speaking of Dukes of hazard see this which I had noted a few weeks ago:)

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_527948-Maserati-Mistral-Spider-1965.html

19. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    AMLC and Nembo1777 like this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Yeehaw it's even got white letter tires like a Dukes of hazard muscle car :eek::D

Will dig to see if I have this one.

MK1044 likes this.
  21. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Maybe he bought the Khamsin used, just like his Bora (see Motortrend article], and the only Khamsin that was available was an automatic.
    In theory he could have bought it new, I don’t know when the last new Khamsin was sold in the USA, but if this was 1979 that was the year that the “Dukes of Hazzard” started.
    Either way he was a very young Khamsin owner, only 22 when the photos were made in January 1983.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Possible yes. As an example one of the last USK's 1302 was bought new in February 1980 by a Lebanese student -so also very young and lucky to own one- from Bob Grossmann. But I know one new car lingered in an upper mid west dealership (Michigan maybe) in the early eighties for some time: it was shown in an old Viale Ciro Menotti issue with the caption explaining that. Not the best market to sell it.

In summer 1981 I took this photo at a dealership in Manhattan NYC, a Chinetti showroom on the upper west side actually, the car looked brand new but perhaps it was a trade in. On the wall you can see a framed photo taken at the factory showing a white Khamsin with someone posing next to it.

When I interviewed him on K chassis numbers in July 2005 Signor Cozza stated that the last US car was AM120US1330 white...with red interior. Note that the numbers 1308 to 1328 were never allocated. Neither were the numbers 1332 to 1348. I don't know of any cars with higher numbers than 1330.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AMLC likes this.
  25. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Nembo1777 and AMLC like this.