De-Cat | FerrariChat

De-Cat

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AndruL, Jul 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johno_888

Johno_888 Rookie

Aug 3, 2018
    Cambridge Ontario
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Stremi
    I have. I didn't notice a huge difference. The de-cat is a little shorter so i had to have a spacer made. The temp prob connection isn't perfect. I had to add some Teflon tape.

Sent from my LG-M470 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Thank you for the heads up.

3. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    Hi AndruL,

I have had straight pipes feeding my Tubi but had to go back to Cats for legal reasons.
    IMHO there is no accountable power gain nor loss, probably in the range of what a K&N filter inlet would make you seem to feel....
    The sound became quieter, but not lesser attractive.
    If you are looking for sound, check for an aftermarket exhaust rather than dumping the cats.

Cheers !

AndruL likes this.
  4. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That exact pipe is on mine. Not a lot of difference in noise, but the car seems to run about 10-20 degrees cooler than it did with the cat. I got tired of chasing the intermittent "Slow Down" light and made the cat replacement part of the process.
    By the way, no spacer needed for mine, but I did have to order two of the "doughnut" type exhaust gaskets that the pipe didn't come with.

AndruL likes this.
  5. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I replaced the cats on my '90 euro 348tb with resonators, direct bolt on, no spacers in my case, since it no longer requires inspection in GA. I would of done the same on my T eventually but ended up selling it. No real performance boost, but the low rumble sound they produce does permeate the cabin more and may not be to your liking.

AndruL likes this.
  6. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Howard, any chance you could post a photo of underneath so we can see what it looks like? I am considering options on my 83qv.... leaning towards removing cats and simply going straight pipe to a Tubi, but looking at options. thanks.

7. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I am considering doing that same thing.... other than legal questions, any thing else I need to consider? Mine is a 83qv. thanks.

8. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I did this, went back to stock soon. No power gain, not really any louder, lots and lots of fumes both for me and anyone behind.
    Plus its bad for the environment. No upside.

9. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    As mentioned, the upside for me was not having to worry about my converter going into meltdown mode when the Slow Down light came on. I haven't noticed any fumes in mine. Noise change is minimal, and performance is not affected either. It's an easy six bolts off, six bolts on install, but chiseling the old doughnut gaskets off the pipes can be a PITA. Also, buy the new doughnuts from a Ferrari source. They are a weird diameter that you won't find in a parts store.

10. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    On my 83QV Mondial I had to make two resonators to temporarily replace the cats. Newer Mondial models just have one cat to replace vs our dual cats.

11. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I'm learning here.... why did you do resonators? I'm thinking cut both cats and go straight pipe to muffler.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The upside is that you can run a richer mixture = more power. Don't be thinking you can do this with the mixture screw, which mainly affects idle. You need to adjust the fuel cell in the WUR.

The K-Jet has a much bigger power potential, but they're all tuned for emissions (lean).

13. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I thought it might be too noisy or have a resonance or drone. My Mondial has a sport muffler on it but it doesn’t sound like my 77GTB did with a Stebro. If I did it again I’d do straight pipes to the muffler.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  14. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA

OEM Cats Regular Tubi (not loud version) 1990 T Cab Volume just right