Front cross member oval elliptical tube needed | FerrariChat

Front cross member oval elliptical tube needed

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Ptggdudley, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello Ferrari chat family.
    Had a run in with a concrete chunk in the road and it damaged my front crossmember. The rectangle piece sheared off, but is easy to fabricate. The oval elliptical tube is bent in and I want to replace it, but the tube shape is proving harder to find. Have some local Ferrari restoration shops to reach out, to but thought I’d try hear too.
    Thanks in advance.
    PTGGDUDLEY
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Ouch....that a heavy beat up. I hope the lining is'nt touched.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    See if an engineering shop can make the shape using a sheet of steel and a press

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Saw your inquiry about this in “Vintage” and would like to recommend proceeding cautiously.

The oval tubing used in older Ferrari frames is not just generic re-shaped round stock and repairing your damaged chassis half-heartedly by sectioning will likely compromise its structural integrity and potentially have serious impact on cars value, should the effort be noticed in the future during a pre-purchase inspection.

I’m not familiar with Mondials chassis structure, but to correctly/professionally repair something like this may require significantly more effort than most, including professional collision repair shops, realize.

Ptggdudley likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    He will have to cut a section out to get the cross section profile and get a length made to shape, that will be fun.
    I cannot see welding in a part section being any good

6. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    You can buy lengths of it from Superformance, they ship fast and reasonable

Attached Files:

davem and Cadillacbart like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Again, not all available oval tubes are created correctly.
    Comprehension and ability to differentiate can be (and often is) imperative.

Just because something is offered by a popular (online) vendor and their listing claims it being “correct” or for a specific application, doesn’t necessarily mean it is.
    Interweb & many of its online (only) stores are littered with inaccurate/-correct information and based on my (limited) experiences/observations, bigger their selections grow, more wrought with inaccuracies they become.

YMMV.

8. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I design build fabricate cars from 1900-1939, motorcycles from 1900-1948, aircraft and ocean going ships, 80’s Ferrari’s are the most simplest and terribly fabricated mild steel chassis’s I’ve ever seen and repaired, your over thinking it and I’m guessing zero experience, the oval tubing is all squashed for that particular Ferrari, for my chassis’s I had a manufacturer hydroform several hundred feet so I wouldn’t run out. You can see it in my latest build, way overkill but it’s to carry weight in the front end of the Ferrari
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Vonbarron, would you be willing to sell some of your stock? I need 2-3 feet of it and I am I your neighborhood.
    Thank you kindly PTGGDUDLEY

TTR likes this.
  10. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Shall I say IN your neighborhood

11. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  12. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    VonBarron, yes that is burly. The smaller piece may do the job though. My worry on the superformance tube is it appears oval but not elliptical and I don’t want to order, ship, and find it’s a different shape. Rectangle tube would work too but would be obvious to a Ferrari tech that it’s not close to factory. Would you consider selling me the smaller piece to play with? I reached out to Dennison in Puyallup and they only Had scraps smaller then 1 ft. Thank you kindly PTGGDUDLEY 253.639.4000

13. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    If you want the curved sharp piece pictured next to the chassis rails then you can have it, just to let you know, factory Ferrari tube would fit inside it, snug.

14. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That sounds like a fair price Text me your contact info 253-639-4000.

15. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

"...80’s Ferrari’s are the most simplest and terribly fabricated mild steel chassis’s I’ve ever seen and repaired..."

This enters my head every time when placing jackstands and working under mine....

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don’t have much experience with ‘80s Ferrari or their chassis, but if they’re similar to those used in ‘60s/‘70s, which do appear quite simplistic and somewhat crudely constructed, they do seem to be fairly well thought out designs (and after 20+ years of already successfully using similar structures by that time, one would hope so) and the oval tubing used in their construction in my experience does not appear to be just any old round tubing pressed to (elliptical/oval) shape.

As for lifting or placing supports (jack stands, etc), I wouldn’t recommend doing it directly on those very thin walled oval chassis tubes. They’re not designed or intended for that type of strain, There are more appropriate and much stronger areas, including specific jacking points intended for such.

OTOH, YMMV.

17. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos

I mentioned it part tongue-in-cheek but still with gravity. I always try to have safety redundancies when working under cars with jack stands, especially when I hear things like the stuff mentioned above. Even jacking points can be compromised and may not be obvious from the outside.

I definitely wouldn't jack on that oval tube but it ceases to amaze me the crackpot set-ups folks use to lift their cars. Surprised more people aren't squashed like bugs.

TTR likes this.
  18. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have some in the UK, it’s perfect. Let me know if you need some

Ptggdudley likes this.
  19. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona