Official book collectors thread | Page 120 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I don’t have more than one copy.

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You got that right!

375+ and Rosey like this.
  3. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Instagram and direct contact with Publisher.

Jack-the-lad and bloomberg like this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    New video by Kidston. Enjoy...

5. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Now you can order from their website.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you.

bloomberg likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    In other news I offer a trade plus cash: I have a copy, like new, of the Dino Compendium by Matthias Bartz and will trade that plus cash for a copy of the new Miura book by Kidston: I did the bulk of the work on it in 2007-2008 but the poor dear..."forgot" to save one for me....

8. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    It’s been suggested that there’s a market for a book on the 308/328 series, and I’m wondering what fellow Fchatters think? Will it sell?
    Should it include the 308 GT4, 208, 288, race &rally version, Koenig and other specials?
    Please let me know what you think. Thanks
    Nathan

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Nathan, I'm glad you asked.
    As popular as the 308 - 328 series was, i'm surprised there wasn't/aren't more books on the cars. I believe there is a market for a definitive book the entire series of cars. And yes, the 308 GT4 and 208/288 should also be included.
    These cars were the forerunners of today's F8 cars. What a great influence and heritage.
    These cars were the beginnings of many Ferrari enthusiasts ownership experiences.

Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Seconded, especially as to including GT4, which is after all the seminal mid-engine V-8 Ferrari.

With so many owners I think it would sell very well, especially given the credentials of the author.

Rosey likes this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I just received notice that my Miura Book has shipped, it should arrive Tuesday.

Rosey, miurasv and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good for you, hundreds are very upset at this idiotic limited edition idea which was never part of the plan...and then the silly video shows one of the books being tossed in the water...

Thomas Quintin, Maciek and gt4me like this.
  13. Maciek

Maciek Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Maciek N
    I couldn't agree more with you. Stupid idea.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    At the 2008 Geneva Classics show, a sort of Swiss Retromobile he said to me oh there should be a caviar stand...the show collapsed after just two editions because it was too elitist and costly...

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agree 100%.
    For the number of cars made and number of owners there are, a bible style book on the 308/328/ GT4 series is missing from the marketplace.

328PWC likes this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Still waiting for my email regarding shipping/ tracking details.
    People are already offering me double what I payed for it and it hasn't even been shipped out to me yet.
    Crazy stuff !!

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not crazy: idiotic. A serious book like this should be research available to all, not an overpriced oligarch bauble: I would never have signed to do this book in spring 2007 if I had known it would end up in this obscene way.

gt4me and Thomas Quintin like this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Wondering how many copies of The Muira Bible were produced by Joe Stackey?
    These are now trading at $US1,000 or more.
    That's idiotic too.

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    13 years? You're kidding?
    Best from Germany
    martin

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I hope his crappy 288 GTO book will fetch the same sale results some day. It's on my stack for ebay.

Best from Germany
    Martin

bloomberg likes this.
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Asking prices are one thing, sales are another. You can have my copy of The Bible for $500.

Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    DM sent

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #2998 Nembo1777, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    No we signed a co author -not ghost writer- contract in May 2007.

I delivered 160000 words of interviews all conducted by me, most in person and transcribed by me (hundreds of hours) and text (months of research and writing), the full set of factory photo archives which I personally obtained from then CEO Stephan Winkelmann, lots of other archive photos from various sources, photo shoots by me, driving reports of two SV's in Switzerland etc. I interviewed dozens of people from the factory and otherwise involved with the Miura such as Dallara (in his Varano office, a true genius with separate trains of though simultaneously, his autograph below), Stanzani, Balboni, Sgarzi, Bevini, Dembiermont, Ciclet, Heiderich etc etc, my favorite was Gianni Malossi, factory production manager who had his heart on his sleeve. Ingrid Pussich I interviewed with Valentino in the Sant' Agata village park, she confirmed to me: "The Sinatra story is a myth, it was a Doctor, we still have the letter in the factory archives." (you should have seen the face of the former NYC Christie's director when I told him this a few years after their NYC auction:)).

I delivered all this 11 months later on April 2, 2008. Got a recommendation letter from SK a few months later which I still have on file. Lots of book websites started talking about it:
    https://books.google.fr/books/about/Miura_360.html?id=0USJOwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

https://www.powells.com/book/miura-360-9780981727035

Then I waited and waited....after four years in August 2012 I got a London publishing lawyer as the delay was getting ridiculous, he got another London lawyer and a settlement was reached in December 2012, I was paid compensation and relinquished authorship in the process, best of luck to him. Then it took him a further...eight years to get it published...meanwhile I published several other books.

But the point is when you have done a book it is like creating a child you want to hold the end result in your hands...that is also the case with a major research article...and to have been deprived of that for so long was very hard...so to then hear oh by the way no book left for you, we'll let you know if the situation changes is unbelievable.
    I also know what I delivered was as good as my Maserati the Citroen years 1968-1975 published 2013, book of the month in several leading magazines, finalist at the IHMA Octane awards, there was no need for this gigantic delay.

All I want now is a copy of the book to close the cycle. End of a very frustrating story.

Attached Files:

gt4me likes this.
  24. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Have you ordered the set of both the book and register or just the book?
    So the book comes with a yellow slipcase.