Coming full circle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Coming full circle

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Carnut, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Lets just say I have shared ideas in the past, and pointed out some major issues in designs. These days though car companies are run by profit (outside of the small boutique firms) and the decision makers are more interested in keeping shareholder happy than anything else. They are right about one thing most buyers know very about cars and about how to drive them properly. There is more interest in how advanced the tech is in the infotainment system than how well the suspension setup is. I have no problem with that, and it gives me more things to change. That is my kicks as you call it, I owned many English sports cars when I was younger and you needed to know how to fix them or you would be stuck a lot. I am not a talented as I once was with tools, but my mind works just as well and I can instruct those to do what physically I am no longer capable of. It is a full circle in many ways, after my 430 gearshift coupe I said I was done with Ferrari's but I ended up buying another 360, 430, Calf T & 458 Spider, none of which I kept more than a few months. Without emotion which I have come to see influences most of you I did not find the cars all that interesting. I would rather have a 4C, Cayman, Evora 400 (I could go on but I think you get my point), I see Ferrari as cars people own to look at and be seen in, neither of those things matters (In fact I very uncomfortable with that),to me, and not really to drive like it was your last day on earth. You get of car forums and most people have no idea what type of tires they have on their cars, and in most dealerships they have service techs, they dont even pretend to call them mechanics anymore.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Carnut, I get that we are all different and that we look at things differently. Not only do I respect that, but I think it's VITAL to keeping life interesting and meaningful. Having said that; your comment, which I've quoted above, seems an odd thing to say on a Ferrari Forum. To me, it feels aimed at drawing-out some offense. I'll admit that it worked, insomuch as it drew me into replying to this thread not once but twice now. Haha.

I think if you read a few more of the "Just bought my first...." threads, you might come to understand some of us a little better than you do. Many of us are excellent mechanics, as it sounds like you are. Many of us are excellent drivers, as it sounds like you are. Many of us are well-capable of improving on the admittedly-compromised production car we acquire, and so we do. And yet, if you read the threads, you'll find that F-cars are special to us. Speaking only for myself, I have no real interest in "being seen in" the car, except inasmuch as it leads to me being able to share it with other enthusiasts. This is a humbling part of ownership for me, and I love it. I truly enjoy watching kids faces light-up when I ask them if they want to sit in it (after getting the nod from their parent, of course). I enjoy when someone in their pickup truck pulls up, rolls his window down and makes the universal-sign for "let's hear it!". They are enjoying the car, not me in the car. I just happen to be the facilitator.

Yes, for you to understand this would require you to entertain the idea that most of us, save you apparently, use emotion in our every-day lives. Emotion is, after all, inclusive of happiness, joy, exhilaration, pride, and all of the many other emotions we use to describe Ferrari Ownership. In fact, emotion also includes "uncomfortable", which you seem from your quoted post, to understand.

Look, I'm not trying to call you out, per se. I'm more asking politely that you consider that while you may not enjoy the F-car experience (there's another emotion-word) the way we do, that there is still the possibility that F-car ownership holds merit to owners beyond "posing", as you've implied in this thread's entirety, and then actually stated in the quoted post.

I hope we're still friends. ;-)

::cheers::

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You and I are at opposite ends of the scale. I get my “kicks” from driving, not wrenching. I always have. In another life, I should have been a chauffeur to some banana republic dictator (so long as he had a cool car). Driving or riding a motorcycle always came naturally to me. I can shift both sides of a motorcycle or drive opposite in a car without thinking. Even in my hippie days, I was into cars and bikes. And, yes, I had to fix them to keep driving, but hated it.

But driving is about the only thing I’m good at. You don’t want to see me play golf. It is scary.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84 and jag-oo-r like this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I tend to offend normal people because my observations are limited and my understanding of the reasons normal brained people do things is still somewhat slim. I did say outside of car forums, which I am a member of many. This forum has one of the larger percentage of members that have actual knowledge of cars and how they work. I wish I had the option of having feelings and emotions, or they had a pill I could take. When I was young they had almost no understand of people like me, so I was drinking and doing drugs from the age of 9. An effort to self medicate I found out later, to try to either feel normal or forget I was not. I doubt most of you actually realize how much your emotions play a part in your decisions in life, which suspect is why it is probably very difficult for you to see that I state facts as I know them, not a personal attack on anyone. I use words like uncomfortable because over the years I have found it easier to explain things in terms people understand. I do not like to be looked at, noticed, or be in large groups (which is why I did 4 hits of acid and smoked a lot of dope every day when I was with the dead, it was the only way I could cope), and will not even let them them shampoo my hair when I get it cut. Being around me is no picnic, I can be listening to you but have 14 other things going through my mind at the same time. I go to stores when they are the least crowded (6am for food store even before the current situation), I live with dogs, and prefer them to people. My posts are never meant to insult and it is not possible to insult me or hurt my feelings jag, and if you were like me you have never felt or written what you did, but you have emotions, I have only one, fear so I build machines that scare me, almost kill me, and challenge my skills. So yes I see no issues with what you wrote, but if you believe that someone who pays 100's of thousand of dollars for a car, worries about what it will be worth (or how much less it will be with too many miles), and then sells it after two years with 1500 more miles than it had when they bought it, did so because they love driving it. Well there the facts don't hold up. I have been here a long time (maybe too long), and I read a lot of posts (I don't comment that often as you can see from the amount of posts I have for as long as I have been here), and I usually only comment when I think my post would be helpful. This is different since I started this one. In the end it really does not matter what your reason is for owning any car (I have found emotion does not allow people to actually realize why in some cases), or what some old autistic guys observations are. Be glad you can feel, you have no idea what I'd trade to be able to.

5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I looked at 4Cs several times and though I'm only 5'9", I could not get comfortable in the car. So I bought a Giulia TI Lusso. Absolutely a wonderful car to drive, and to drive hard. But I have come to dislike digital cars...all of them. I appreciate technology, but I also feel it has a time and place...and it has gone well past the point of diminishing returns in cars...for my taste. Yesterday I just bought what I find to be a good retro compromise. A 2001 C4.

Island Time and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Very nice Robert, I had 3 different 996's, all very modified (my neighbor uses a 996TT as his track car), first thing I'd do is put a new steering wheel and short shifter in. Enjoy, like me, the 4C is an acquired taste, it is one of the very few cars I regret selling.

jake23581 likes this.