430 - Switching from F430 Spider to 458 Spider | FerrariChat

430 Switching from F430 Spider to 458 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Jul 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Morning gang...I hope that everyone had a super week. As always, thanks in advance for any insight from this great group.

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone that may have been previously in my situation, and figured I would get more salient feedback on this forum as opposed to the 458 one. In a nutshell, 54 yo that finally got his first ferrari last year...a def dream car. 2007 F430 Spider, triple nero. Purchased it with 19K miles, and drive it as often as weekends permit...currently at 22k miles. I am fortunate, as the car has been mechanically flawless in every regard, other than the typical f-car niggles that I read about on here.

While I truly love the car, I continue to find myself looking at 458 spiders on line every chance that I get. Although my local indy mechanic tells me I am crazy to swap out, especially since the 430 is a "work horse," i cant help myself... :)
    Something about the newer body style, a little bit of technology, and that metal roof keeps drawing me in.

So, the question is this...has anyone had an F430 spider, swapped out for a 458(or 488), and then regretted it and come back?

thanks!

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Remember, you won't see your engine anymore... So that kind of sucks with the 458 Spyder... Seeing the engine is one of the greatest things about a 360/430 and very sad that the 458 Spyder loses that feature over the 458 coupe.

E60 M5 likes this.
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not a spider, but I currently have both a F430 and a 458. I really enjoy both cars, but when I step back and compare which car I drive more often, it's the 458 hands down. As you stated above, the extra technology and comfort make the 458 more my choice. The DCT is awesome, the ride is great when using the bumpy road button, love the led steering wheel, and I don't mind using the entertainment interface. I also think the 458 looks better. BTW, mechanically I have had more issue with my F430 than the 458, so not really my work horse. None the less, I do enjoy the F430 and love to drive it for the more "raw" feel. I have an FCA canyon drive next weekend and choosing to take the 458.

4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    that is a GREAT point, and besides the sound of the f430, one of the main reasons I wanted this variant originally....it is a "beyond cool" feature!

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    YES,,....if I could have two cars, I would pick these two for the stable (or maybe a McLaren 720 S.... :))

Drive safely!

6. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    458 does not do anything for me, I would rather get a Scud than a 458. When I want to drive a Ferrari, "comfort" and "smoothness" is not what I am looking for, I want to be scared, sweat when I hit stop and go traffic and my neck snapping back when I pull the lever right before redline. Then I get in my Range Rover and do the normal, boring, everyday driving.

7. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I'm with rennspeed, I have a 430, and drove the 458 a bunch and prefer the 430. BUT I do plan on getting a 458, but not until I can comfortably own both.
    I don't care about this, but a Scud has the only only potential for $$ gains imo. Someday the 458 will be under 100k but the scud will stay or increase.

8. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I haven't switched yet but a 458 is definitely on my list for a future car. Not the only car on the list, but high up there.

9. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Looks: 458 Spider over F430 Spider. F430 coupe over 458 coupe though

Comfort/refinement: 458 Spider

Reliability: Toss-up. 458 is more complicated and if something goes wrong then it can be very expensive. F430 probably has a higher chance of needing things but cheaper and easier to work on overall, especially taking the difference in price into account

Sound: F430. Less synthetic more organic and characterful, has different sounds depending on where you are on rev range

Driving: F430. 458 is definitely faster but the downside to added comfort/refinement is less NVH and feel. The F430 is peak analog, a car that's highly engaging, communicative and fun to drive at slow speeds, while giving you much confidence to push faster.

I'm not a fan of F430 Spider looks and if you only have room for one car the 458 is more capable. However for the near double difference in price you could look at getting a dedicated GT car. A manual Aston V12V/DBS is an excellent motoring experience

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Get a Scud

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +100, I drove a 458 earlier this year, and honestly wasn't impressed. It was soft and felt dated in the interior compared to the newest generation of cars. The Scuderia is much more of an event to drive.

12. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't the a Scud is a good choice if you can only have one exotic. Too narrow focus.

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I had a 360 Stradale....sold it, bought a 458......sold the 458 and bought another Stradale.

14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK… Thank you guys for all the feedback!

I am obviously keeping the F’n 430. If and when I win the lottery, rather than a Scud, I will get a 16 M. I definitely need the droptop

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

E60 M5 likes this.
  15. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan

BruceC likes this.