Mick Schumacher | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed that Schwartzman is fantastic. Based on his results. But not because he is beating Schumacher, that's not such a great accomplishment.

I'm sure both will end up in F1 and the Russian will be the first driver of that country worth his salt. Da svidanje Kvyat.

Senna1994 and william like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari needs to see more from Schumacher before F1 seat is considered

Ferrari has praised Mick Schumacher's Formula 2 progress this year, but says it needs to see more from him before it can consider moving him up to Formula 1.

Schumacher, who is part of Ferrari's young driver programme, is currently fourth overall in the F2 standings on the back of a double podium haul in Hungary last weekend.

F1's superlience requirements mean that Schumacher needs to finish sixth overall to qualify for an F1 seat for 2021, with Ferrari having the possibility to slot him in at Alfa Romeo if they think he is ready.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto says the step up that Schumacher has made since last year, when he finished 12th overall, is clear, but is aware that the young German will need to keep producing results if he is to be in contention for an F1 contract.

"I think that Mick is certainly doing well, and he is doing a lot better than last year," said Binotto, when asked by Autosport about Ferrari's plans for Schumacher.

"It was important for him in his second year of F2 and he is showing progress.

"I think that he is showing progress as well since the start of the season.

"He had some bad luck situations but if you look at his results in Hungary, he did well. So Mick is progressing which is important.

"Next year I think it is really too early to decide. We are really clear and fair with him: his overall performance in the championship will be important.

"So he will be in an F1 seat at the time that we believe he has done sufficient progress overall. Also he needs simply to continue as he is doing now, and we will decide later on in the season."

Schumacher says his focus this year is on improving to become the best driver he can.

Reflecting on the steps forward he has made and what he hopes to get out of 2020, he said: "I want to be among the top drivers: fighting for good positions.

"My main target is to improve myself as a racing driver to become the complete racing driver I am chasing.

"I want to improve on the human side, to become let's say more grown up, to become more mature and to bond with the team in a way which no other driver can."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150800/ferrari-schumacher-must-show-more-for-f1-step

DF1 and Flavio_C like this.
  3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    tifosi12 likes this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Take a wild guess who will make it to F1 first? :cool:

Flavio_C, william and Senna1994 like this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Probably Drugovitch will never make it...

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think Ferrari are keen for talent and between Alfa and Ferrari the commentary are not at all ensure of a Mick F1 future in red.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It might not be in red, but I bet he will end up on the grid. Liberty will support that. Mark my words. The son of the F1 legend Michael Schumacher on the grid is too good a PR opportunity to miss.

And he is not without talent. I'm guessing he is better than any of the Andretti sons/nephews and better than Piquet Jr. (not so hard to beat that guy). But I doubt he has the caliber of a Jacques.

Senna1994 and william like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Only qualif times.
    Schumacher's team mate Schwartzman is only 18th, and I would like to know why.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Up to know the talent of Mick is just hype. Proof is that his rookie team-mate is destroying him up to now.

Which "Piquet Jr." are you talking about? The one who raced in Renault won Sudan F3, then won British F3, then 2nd to Hamilton in GP2. The new one, Pedro, is definetly not as talented as his older brother.

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    He blames traffic but overall it just didn't click for him today. Alot of improvement tomorrow.

william likes this.
  11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You are spot on. There was more going on at Renault, I actually felt bad for Piquet Jr. as at times he seemed to be doing well.

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Even in F2, you are first measured against your team mate. P3 isn't bad for Mick.

The only thing I disagree with you with, Flavio, is that Mick is all hype...I think the right word in his case is expectation. ;)

635CSI likes this.
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Miserable race for Mick. Currently 9th in the overall standings.

william likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At the moment, I only measure him against his rookie team mate Robert Schwartzman.
    Both had a miserable weekend, but the Russian is still leading the championship with 81pts, whilst Schu Jr is 9th with 41pts.
    The F2 format is more hazardous, with reverse grids, etc ...

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Race today:

17. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Or Gilles.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Barcelona F2

Schumacher: 6th and 3rd 79 points

Schwartzman: 2nd and 13th 103points

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He is doing better but still not a stellar winner. Interesting how not really one driver dominates the series.

william likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think the F2 format would make it very difficult for one individual to dominate, with 2 races, and reverse order for the second.

Basically, if you win the 1st race, it's hard to come back to the front in the second, although it has been done in the past, I think.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Which is precisely why I would love to see reverse grid in F1. It would make for sensational races where the best would always have to claw their way back through the field. And the drivers' points might be more evenly spread.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F2 is a feeder series where young drivers learn their trade, so I can understand a bit of manipulation and handicaping .
    But F1 should stay above artificial reshufling, I think, or it will lose any pretence of being a world drivers championship.
    I like both, as they are.
    I even likes BoP in endurance to have more variety of cars.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    BINOTTO: LOGICAL STEP FOR MICK IS TO START WITH A SMALLER F1 TEAM

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/08/18/binotto-logical-step-for-mick-is-to-start-with-a-smaller-f1-team/

While Mick Schumacher has yet to set the Formula 2 paddock alight, it is nevertheless becoming increasingly evident that the son of Michael Schumacher is likely to step into Formula 1 as early as next year with Alfa Romeo or even Haas for that matter.

Last year Mick finished 12th in his F2 rookie and is expected to raise his game and challenge for the title this season and, should he attain the set goals, F1 is the next inevitable step on his journey. Ferrari team chief Mattia Binotto hinted as much to Bild after the Barcelona weekend in which Mick scored a podium, “Mick is doing very well this season in Formula 2.” And in fairness, he has been at the sharp end of a quality 2020 field, but luck has not been on his side.

At the same time, he should be compared to Prema Racing teammate, Russian rookie Robert Schwartzman who has two wins to his name already (Mick scored one last year) and lies second in the standings after eight points scoring rounds. Schumacher, as mentioned, has yet to make it on to the top step of the F2 podium, so far this season, but has been on it on four occasions. He lies fifth in the F2 championship standings, 24 points behind Schwarzman in second and 42 behind series leader Callum Ilott – the trio all part of the Ferrari Driver Academy.

According to Binotto, young Schumi is ticking all the boxes, “His job was to improve and he is doing just that. We will soon discuss what we will do with him next year. I think the next logical step for him is to start with a smaller F1 team, where he can become familiar with these cars.” “Who is eligible for a F1 seat, we will decide later in the year,” added the Ferrari chief with reference to the FDA drivers on the team’s books.

That “smaller” team he refers to would most likely be Alfa Romeo, should the everpresent Kimi Raikkonen finally decide to hang up his helmet, Mick would slot in alongside Antonio Giovinazzi. The other alternative is a seat with Haas, either of their current drivers – Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean – could be sacrificed with little loss to the team, to make way for Mick and for the privilege they would probably get a relative discount on PUs; not a bad option for the not-flush-for-cash American team.

Mick is no stranger to F1, last year did two full days of Bahrain testing with both Alfa Romeo and Ferrari, impressing the team with his composure and focus in the imposing circumstances. Again important boxes were ticked.

In closing, it should be said that the son of the great Michael Schumacher was always going to be a racing driver. That he makes it to Formula 1 simply amplifies the family’s incredible legacy, how he fares under the unforgiving spotlight of the top flight will be telling. If he is a fraction of what his father was, and can even match his uncle Ralf Schumacher, a six-time Grand Prix winner, 21-year-old Mick should also make his mark at the highest level. but his surname is no guarantee that happens unless he delivers.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Schwartzman wins (Spa 2020)

Current F2 standings

Shwartzman 132,
    llott 122,
    Tsunoda 111,