FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX-->QUALIFYING ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX-->QUALIFYING ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, if they had, Red Bull would already have protested, and Renault, and Mclaren, and ... all the moaners who can't catch up !!!

ktu likes this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 like the new avatar.
    RtR!

Jeronimo GTO and pilotoCS like this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The problem would be proving it with evidence.

4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    he is behind gasly on the grid.
    Sweet revenge for all the bashing he had to endure last year.

DF1 likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Without proof there is no case, right?

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Do you think Gasly is better than Albon ?

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Great point. As the season progresses, if you only have the drawings but don't know how the engineering led to that deisgn, you are pretty much stuck to it.

8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I do.

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    He is french like me so i tend to be biaised on this matter.
    Frankly i believe he is the kind of driver who need a car suited to his style and a team around him.
    Not easy to reach but yes i think he is quicker than Albon on pure speed.

Bas and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree. Let’s keep reinforcing the narrative of Merc cheaters so it becomes automatic knee-jerk, like with Ferrari.

Honda, the supposed initiator of the Ferrari engine anomalies had this to say in Austria:

Honda "surprised" by pace of Mercedes F1 engine development

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150460/honda-surprised-by-mercedes-f1-engine-development/amp

Pile on with the smoky engines and sharing IP with tRacing Point and we’re starting to see a trend. ;)

As for “working harder” this is a euphemism for working more, with more resources. Case in point, the budget and resources (helped by FIA intervention/guidance) to develop the DAS system only for crushing the opposition in qualifying.

If the FIA can’t control budget and spend during a supposed lockdown, I can’t imagine they’ll be able to do it effectively during a normal situation with budget freeze.

stavura, Bas and fil like this.
  11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I think it’s fair to say that Gasly and Albon are both average number 2 drivers at best.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think in years to come it will be found that policing the budget cap in F1 is impossible.
    The teams are based in 3 (or maybe 4) different countries, with different fiscal systems, labour costs, energy prices, overheads, property rates, etc ...
    How can they harmonise that to an acceptable level?

ingegnere likes this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    fil and ingegnere like this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is without "evidence" there is no case.
    If you have actual "proof" the case is already done.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

But at least you are honest about it ...

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Given that the team principle and drivers are outside of the salary cap, one could (COULD) postulate the team throwing enough money at team principle (or drivers) and then allow team principle to fund development out of his own pocket, the drivers could in principle do similarly, but they are generally less clever in the ways of getting things done.

So, in effect, there is no real salary cap.

ingegnere likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I wonder how they will account for money coming into their coffers from selling the IP of last year’s car to a competitor? :)

Or if they design non-listed parts to be used by other competitors, will they split that cost?

Jeronimo GTO and fil like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Do you believe Albon is faster ? Really ?

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Albon better redeem himself tomorrow with some serious overtakes.

Otherwise he's going to loose his seat.

Flavio_C and 375+ like this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If we see that. That is a victory for Ferrari. I hope you are correct!! :)

21. DF1

I think a Perez healthy keeps Cloner Point on row 2. They should be faster than Red Bull as well. This circuit is a power circuit.

22. DF1

I give him 3-4 races or 30 days before Dark Sith Lord Marko demotes.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  23. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150983/vettel-british-gp-weekend-cant-get-much-worse

Sebastian Vettel reckons his British Grand Prix weekend cannot get much worse, following multiple issues in Formula 1's third practice and qualifying sessions at Silverstone.

With his Friday running having been limited by an intercooler problem and then an issue with his pedals, things did not improve much on Saturday.

He faced fresh car problems in final practice and then struggled to find a good pace in qualifying, eventually ending up 10th on the grid after his final lap time was deleted for running wide at Copse.

After facing the brunt of Ferrari's issues, Vettel was clear that he did not think the team was paying any less attention to him than Charles Leclerc, who will start fourth, and that he could only see things getting better.

"I don't want to accuse anyone of bad intentions," he told Channel 4.

"From my side it was not ideal today. I had a lot of trouble finding the rhythm. As I said, I am relatively confident that tomorrow will be better.

"How much, I don't know - I can't promise anything, but it can't get much worse."

Asked about what had gone wrong in qualifying, Vettel said: "The honest answer is I don't know.

"I mean, I struggled a little bit to get into the groove and into the rhythm, which around here is important.

24. DF1

25. DF1

Why points now matter and Stroll did them no favors losing places in Q3. The question you pose is key. Seems Nico will be in for 2 races so Lance needs to get it right all the time as they will be missing Perez.

Super-sub Hulkenberg set for second race - https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53621542
    The British Grand Prix weekend started with the nasty shock of the first F1 driver positive test for coronavirus.

Racing Point's Sergio Perez has had to miss this race after catching the virus at some point over the week and a half between leaving Hungary and arriving at Silverstone. During that period he flew home - somewhat unwisely in many eyes - to Mexico, one of the world's coronavirus hotspots, to see his mother, who had been in hospital after an accident.

Perez's substitute is his former team-mate Nico Hulkenberg, who slipped out of F1 last year after being dropped by Renault. And the German did a predictably solid job.

Hulkenberg's 12th place on the grid with team-mate Lance Stroll in sixth is not a fair reflection on his performance, because he missed out on a place in the top 10 shoot-out when he was just 0.065secs slower than Stroll in second qualifying.

Racing Point have so far confirmed Hulkenberg only for this race. But it is effectively certain he will continue for at least next weekend's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, back at Silverstone, even if the team are hanging on to a technicality in the hope that Perez might return.

Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer has said Perez's first test was on Wednesday, and at that point the requirement for people testing positive in the UK was to isolate only for seven days - which would make him available for the next race if he tests negative this coming week.

The advice changed on Thursday - when Perez had his second and confirmatory positive test - to 10 days' isolation, which would automatically put him out of the next race.

The team's position is that the Wednesday test was described as "inconclusive" mainly because the FIA has the facility to offer a quick re-test, and that by national standards the Wednesday test would have been and is regarded as a positive result.

Therefore, they are arguing, in the eyes of the UK public health authorities, Perez was positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday, so the seven-day isolation applies.

But this seems a forlorn hope - even if Perez tests negative by next Thursday - because the FIA and F1 do not agree.

They are following the guidelines of host countries strictly - that is part of the deal the sport has agreed to in order to allow these races to happen, and for participants to travel between nations with exemptions in some cases that do not apply to the general public.

So, BBC Sport has been told, F1 and the FIA will demand a 10-day quarantine. Which would mean Perez is out for next weekend, too, and Hulkenberg has another chance to remind people that, as Verstappen said on Saturday, "he should be here because he still deserves a spot on the grid".