Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling - Road America IndyCar | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling - Road America IndyCar

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by pilotoCS, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #26 Nembo1777, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Hello there, I have no idea about the medications you talk about. I am well aware of the Howmet history at Le Mans and in the WSC. The Howmet ran DURING the Can Am sessions that weekend (Brian Redman historic racing weekend 1997) it was entered by Chuck Haynes from St Louis Missouri who deals in historic race cars.

When I was US correspondent for French magazine Auto Passion I visited Haynes in May of 1998 along with my magazine editor and a photographer.

They had flown in for a week during which we went all over the country for example we interviewed Jim Hall in Midland Texas and photographed his vacuum car and his 2F statically on his Rattlesnake raceway, interviewed Richard Petty in Charlotte, tried a Cunningham continuation car at Lime Rock, a Duesenberg in New Jersey, etc etc an amazing week.

That St Louis visit was supposed to be for a test drive article of the Howmet but there was a problem so instead we did an article on a McKee Can am car at the St Louis oval.

This Howmet is now owned by a French classic car dealer who races it actively and very competently. I see it at 500 Ferraris against cancer every year, a fantastic event in France which is the largest Ferrari gathering worldwide every year. I have talked with the current owner about him going back to Elkhart with the car.

Isobel likes this.
  2. I see.

Nice..... :)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I might need to start looking into the logistics of making it to the IMSA race.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Step up your garlic intake, works for me.

lorenzobandini and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Interesting article about what Zak Brown thinks that had a little on Road America. He says what I already know, and I have been to almost all the major race tracks in North America as has he. I agree with him but I like Laguna Seca better than Watkins Glen.

"Next question: Which U.S. track would you love to see on the F1 schedule? It can be from a driver perspective, even.

“There'll be three, more than three, that will be awesome,” Brown said. “Put aside Indianapolis, because I think that's an awesome facility but the road course isn't iconic compared to Laguna Seca, it's obviously too short. But that would be cool. Road America, that to me is the best track in North America. Not far behind, though, I think Watkins Glen is, if Road America's a 10 out of 10, Watkins Glen is a nine out of 10. And Mont-Tremblant in Canada. That circuit is beautiful.”

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a32663472/mclarens-brown-dishes-indycar-drivers-f1/?fbclid=IwAR1-3KTf-WX-c-N_I0nM5ar8wW7vqxT2yTCwMUO9GAKdq8KDeCevrhQZxfM

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis

Hey Tom,

I just read the details about saftey. I didn't see anything that would restrict paddock access. Just the normal common-sense things we've all be abiding by the last few months. It may just be worth it to schlep out there for the IndyCar double-header or the historic races.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I am going to call them to make sure paddock access will be allowed. Not sure if you have to order tickets in advance so they can keep the crowd at a maximum level . Don't want to have a surprise at the gate!!! I want to go to the IMSA and supercar race the most, but the other two will be good also. Might go to all of them including the SCCA runoffs.

pilotoCS likes this.
  10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They did make a open cockpit Can Am Howmet but I don't think it did anything more than test.

Road America IMSA. About half the Paddock area and all of the road course were open. Almost seemed like a normal year with many many out of state plates in the parking lots. Only the face masks were the giveaway. They put up several really nice buildings over the winter. This track is the best in North America, and I have been to all the big ones in both the USA and Canada. Don't think Mexico has anything close.

Alot of the Porsche cup drivers said they skipped the Florida events.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pilotoCS likes this.
  12. An "open cockpit Can Am Howmet"? I don't remember that thing. The chassis were McKee designed but ran under the Howmet name in SCCA and WSC.
    Maybe your thinking of the first chassis, based on McKee's '66 Can Am chassis? I don't have any recollection of an "open cockpit" Howmet, let alone for the Can Am.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&sxsrf=ALeKk02bPCPCim-T2GYrlX1E3w9QA_LugQ:1596302219629&ei=i6MlX-qBJu3AytMPo4m5gAo&q=ray+heppenstall&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiq84SWwfrqAhVtoHIEHaNEDqAQ7Al6BAgGEAI&biw=1687&bih=887

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, the Howmet US operations were based not far from me in Libertyville, Illinois near Chicago. It was a French owned company I believe.

15. Ah yes. I thi
    Aaaahhh yessss....I think we discussed the Howmets previously. The one in the photo is chassis #2 of the GTP cars fitted with the low, open cockpit body and used for turbine powered speed record runs. It was named the TX MkII. Later it was returned to original GT prototype configuration.
    (Google can be our friend) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howmet_TX#Land_speed_records

16. Additionally, I should have remembered the turbine had to fit the rules it was set to compete with (3 litre reciprocating engined cars) so it would never have been competitive with 7 litre+ it would have raced in the Can Am if that was the route they were going.