GTC A/C blower motor | FerrariChat

GTC A/C blower motor

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have a clients GTC we are restoring. As we are assembling the car, all components are restored and run before installation - which leaves me to the AC evaporator box in the car.

Bench testing it after we disassembled it and reassembly - i believe the blower motor has a vibration at high speed that i cannot get rid of. With the vibration obviously more noisy than what i expect, so in the car, i pretty sure i would not like it.

Taking it apart 4-5 times trying to isolate the vibration - im considering to replace the DC blower motor - it has 2 shafts on both ends and the only number on the motor is 5577 FH 12V 235

It measure 2 15/16 diameter, motor housing 3 1/4 and end to end with shafts is 8 inches.

Any thoughts on what and where to get this. I searched all over but not having any idea on the speed of the motor etc, im running into WTF.

Any thoughts - anyone replace one of these?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may try to let the motor run alone. if then no vibration you may balance the airfan

3. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Contact Steve Cantera - I believe he used a Mercedes fan motor.

Bob Z.

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    feels smooth with the fans off and on.....however there is a flutter noise at start up and slow down - that i think is coming from the motor itself.

I thought the fan shrouds were causing some oscillation but with everything apart - im leaning toward the motor.

yes each squirrel cage fan has a small clip to balance it - they are in their orig positions and it seems to be ok....

5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    OK bob - will check it out

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    SPAL USA still sells these quite reasonably, around $200 depending on sizing
    Their website gives you several options but I admit not seeing your system or sizing it

One thought, perhaps even cannibalize some of the new pieces and graft onto old OEM to keep the maximum number of original parts?

I'm producing a supply fan system for the Dino A/C system to boost A/C cooling airflow and I can confirm that SPAL USA does have inventory
    https://www.spalusa.com/products/blowers/dual_wheel/

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    thanks for the lead - yes they look similar for sure - will need to get some specs on the size etc to see what could work.

I did order a motor only yesterday in an effort to address the issue, it seems to be a good replacement. I will know later in the week and if it works, ill post some info on the type and style etc. I can see that the SPAL units, the molded duck work might mount slightly different, thus modifications to the existing evap box, but that is not a big deal.

My big issue, is the loud harmonics on high speed that i believe is coming from the motor when all assembled. I really dont want to install this without resolving this issue as doing it later (dash and interior all out of the car now) will be a hugh problem.

Their prices are very reasonable @ 130.00 for a whole unit, motor, cages and housings. I have heard from RPM in vermont where they were making these AC units complete that they are using motors with varying resistance in them to eliminate the resistor rotor switch and just using a 4 position switch which is more available. Sounds like a good improvement etc.

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The shop that does my work in Naples swapped out the blower motor with a 1997 MB E-Class motor. The tech said it was "plug and play".....but I did not see the install personally. The MB motor seems to push a lot more air than the original motor. For a really hot day if you direct all 3 vents to the driver it will cool you off fairly quickly. And if you are on the highway it will keep both occupants cool. Around town not so much on a 90+ degree sunny day. But I also replaced the York with a Sanden compressor, installed a GMAC larger condensing unit that's the same width of the radiator, and swapped out the 3 blade Lucas fans with 8 blade Spal fans and shrouds to push more air through. Of course these are not original but the system works better than stock. I kept all of the original parts. I don't take the 330 to shows to be judged. It's my favorite driver!

christc likes this.
  9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    thank you steve for the info - sounds like all great upgrades to the system to maximize the AC.

I will investigate the MB motor to understand its design and style.

10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Found a Mack Truck blower motor with dual shafts and about 1/8 difference on the diameter of the motor housing. So a little rubber insulator around the motor housing to mount it did the trick. The oscillation seems to happen when the load of the air flow would occur - thus my decision to replace the motor. This DID fix the problem and now the unit runs smooth with out vibration/oscillation.

With the new 3 speed switch and the rheostat replaced - (also mack tuck parts) im ready to reinstall the AC box. Ill get the numbers of the parts i used for replacement for future reference here on the site - in case :)

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    JimEakin and SCantera like this.
  12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I’m having significant overheating problems with my 330 GTC when I’m going slow on a hot day. (No issues when going 30+ mph.). The stock fans are not pushing air. With no shrouds, I don’t see how the fans work at all.

SCantera, I sent a PM.

Hope I can get info about what others have done to fix this. I’m even thinking there needs to be a fan on the other side of the radiator to pull air out through the side vent.

I saw a picture of the air cleaner on a 365 2+2 that routed the intake ports to a cold air box. Anyone tried this on a 330?

13. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Well, here are some thoughts......

1. Condition of the radiator?
    2. Voltage on the fan or fans....does it have AC (means u will have two fans) ?
    3. Fans turning in the correct direction - to push the air vs pull (lucas motors go both ways) ?
    4. Is the fan relay turning on based on the rad temp switch?
    5. Solid grounds on all the parts of the cooling system?
    6. Rad temp switch on bottom rad working etc?

Bit of a process of elimination....but all critical on the cooling process

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the radiator seems to be ok and not blocked because when you go a little faster it cools down.
    so check the temperatur switch for the fans and the fans also
    may be that the waterpump is not working right anymore and so less water circulation, but this I not think happened

15. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    good point on the water pump......

16. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The car does have AC so 2 fans. Will check air flow direction. Fans seem to come on at correct temperature.

Not sure of radiator condition. Next up is draining and refilling. A friend recommended using a radiator flush cleaner. Is this safe?

It just seems that at low speed the hot air is not being removed from engine compartment. Not just high water temp, but possible vapor lock in carbs.

17. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Run the electric fuel pump to get rid of vapor lock.