Rubber Torque Spacer for Window Motor Assembly | FerrariChat

Rubber Torque Spacer for Window Motor Assembly

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Dadoo, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m prepping to repair both of my non working windows so I bought a used assembly from eBay and disassembled it to learn about the inner working and how I’ll clean it before actually removing things from the car. While taking things apart I noticed that the rubber torque spacer between the motor and the work pinion was torn. I took it apart and it is torn in several places. Hopefully you can see in the photos below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Does anyone know of a replacement part or do I have to fabricate something ?

It seems that if it is torn then some of the drive from the motor is wasted on the torn spacer.

2. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m going to buy a section of 1” diameter rubber cord and try to make a couple of duplicates.
    Mike Tuason and I think they have to have the correct durometer to act as a shock absorber when the window hits its limits.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    These are a common part in engineering, just need to find a maker

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    If the rubber is still soft could you not repair the tears with superglue? It seems to work well bonding rubber to itself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon all,
    I would go that route too, can't be that hard to fabricate. They sell gasket cutting tools, which is nothing more than several sizes of cutting punches.
    If you have a drill press, you can apply pressure to the punch in an efficient way... of course the drill is not running, just use it as a press.

Just an idea.

John.

6. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Well aware of the fabrication techniques. Don't think its an off the shelf item and don't want to make it a $100 part.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They use them as flexible couplings for electrically driven pumps, seen dozens over the years but we get them from the pump makers generally, so search flexable couplings

8. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Bought a couple of 6 inch pieces of 1” diameter Buna N rubber rod off of McMaster Carr. One piece with A 3/8” hole in the middle closest to size of the actual piece. Durometer is 70A. Seems it might be just a bit high but what the heck. I’ll make a few pieces tomorrow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
  10. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Shore hardness (durometer) a little higher than I would like but we’ll see how it works out.

11. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    BigTex and Saabguy like this.