430 - Replace Exhaust Manifold keep Cats | FerrariChat

430 Replace Exhaust Manifold keep Cats

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Jul 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I inquired about having an after market exhaust system and was told that every product involves removal of the cats. That's not going to get me a successful SMOG test her in California.

Is it true that replacing the factory exhaust headers requires headers that do not support cats?

Thanks,

Ray

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The cars have 2 pairs of cats. One set is embedded in the header pipes, often referred to as “pre-cats”. The second set is separate, downstream of the headers. I know of no aftermarket set of headers that have the embedded pre-cats. There are replacement headers with pre-cats made by Tubi, but they are the OEM supplier so not really aftermarket. Aftermarket headers without pre-cats are not California Air Resources Board (CARB) certified, so if you want to be legal, you have to go OEM or Tubi (OEM).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That's what I needed to know. Thank you very much. This makes installing the Capristo exhaust brackets which arrived yesterday all the more necessary.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im confused - plenty of members here in CA who run aftermarket exhaust, headers, and hiflow cats no?

ie if you take a stock car and install capristo headers and capristo 200 cel cats, it will pass SMOG in CA, is that incorrect?

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Only if they are CARB certified. If cars with modified aftermarket cat exhausts are passing, it’s because the inspectors aren’t looking carefully or don’t know what the car came stock with, and testing is mostly about OBD II readiness monitors showing “ready”. While that probably happens a lot because stations might hardly ever see Ferraris, you could be ordered to put it all back or face a fine or worse.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So in cali u can change the mufflers with aftermarket and thats it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Actually I think it depends on how loud the aftermarket mufflers are. Technically if they are loud like maybe a S line you are probably illegal. Ca is one of the worst states for enthusiasts.