C8 Z06 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Center exhaust too.

I think it sounds pretty darn good. As a bit of 355 to it. Not sure if they hit the redline in that video.

k wright likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    k wright likes this.
  3. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    My brain cannot compute the sound that car is making given it is a Corvette. Sounds like an Fcar

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So exciting!

k wright likes this.
  5. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That thing sounds unreal!

k wright likes this.
  6. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Well done, Chevrolet. You absolutely smashed it out of the park with this car

ForzaV12 likes this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It really does have a bit of that F355 shriek.

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    this will be a serious car at around 100k. gt4 cayman vs 600 hp and 8000 rpm screamer is no contest for me. im waiting for it to replace my elise. it would be a difficult decision to chose between this z06 and a speciale at same price let alone 3x

9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #59 BJK, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    you can max out a C8 coupe at over $100k (I know most are closer to $80k), sooo 'at around 100k' for a Zo6 may be like finding (or wanting) a base model at $60k.
    Whatever. C8 Z06 will retain the title of 'Best Bang For The Buck'
    https://www.motor1.com/news/374924/2020-chevy-corvette-most-expensive/
    I think GM is getting 'smarter', like Porsche, with the big profits available in a long and expensive options list. You can add $44k to a base coupe. I bet the Z06 options list will nearly double that.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im guessing base no option z06 at around 100k with most optioned up to 120k. not thinking it will be a 150k car. that threshold will be for the zora

11. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I am getting a shelby gt350 to tide me over. It will be years before i can get my hands on it plus kids fit in the back.

IPO1 and Thecadster like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m thinking 650 hp is likely. I can’t wait for the Z06.

jm2 and Thecadster like this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #63 boxerman, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020

Ill posit that if you don't go the track with the car, then a "real" z06 is pointless other than to pose. Aparently the Zr1 is for those folks who mush have the "fastest" vette.

If the wing serves a performance purpose its valid. I agree it may not be valid for a street driven poseur car, but we cant stop those folks from buying them, or sellign them used with low mileage at a huge discount cause the ride was harsh and the car too noisy.

As for what pedestrians think, theyre civillians and fools who cant even keep their camry going straight, their opinion means zip.
    What counts is how you enjoy your car, and if anyone is looking for public validation from the car they drive they have issues.

Reminds me of the zipperhead who traded his porche turbo for a new GT3rs and was dissapointed. Money and intelligence especialy as it relates to cars are often inverse.

Feraris have extensive aero for high speed stability, downforce for track is another matter. Ferrari challenge cars have big wings for a good reason.

Whether any street car can really capitalize on track with a street legal dot wing is also a debate, but is seems the rules in the USA allow for a lot of wing, whereas euro rules do not.
    Theres also the whole discussion about mechanical grip and aero grip and the gap between where one ends and the other begins. Given a street car even on track wont be driven on aero, wings are there for stability and a little downforce, no one is designing a street legal cart that has a gap between mechanical and aero grip(last viper excepted.)

Im guessing the z06 will have enough wing to serve the function.

sainthoo and slm like this.
  14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Sorry, not with Corvettes. I sold my 2014 C7 convertible (manual, which helped) in April 2019 (Got the car in April 2014.) Paid $61,500 out the door, sold it back to the dealer I bought it from for $41,000.
    They sold the car in 4 days for $46,500

Thecadster likes this.
  15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Not holding my breath. A number of the faithful would like a manual transmission. Would be great to have an analog dash without all of the electronic video game toys. Probably will never happen.

Another option is to dump the upcoming Z-06 motor in a 'Camaro' type platform with a manual transmission. Move the magic wand - the Z-28 is reborn. A few years down the road I will be happy to buy a nice used stock example.

anunakki and Ak Jim like this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Im one of those manual all the way guys. For open road they're entertaining and keep the car fun and engaging at semi sane road speeds.
    But on track paddles are not only faster theyre arguably better in all sorts of ways, plus if you can stack 7 gears closely on a high reving engine as with a paddle its really something unto itself.

Thats the thing modern cars are not anolog, the steering is accurate but has no "feel feedback" and that applies to most controls, theyre highly precise but synthesized. The digital car works and works with acuracy, its benign at lower speeds, something different, fast sedan boring on the road.. At the opposite end of the scale is the pure anolog car, say a 289 cobra, pain on road in traffic..
    Its a p51 mustamng and a F16, each rewarding but in very different ways. Throw in modern traffic and modern roads where you cant go fast anyway and the digital car takes the pain out of the trip to the track, and then a 9/10th and 10/10ths its superb. Below that pace on road, yeah might as well be in a sedan, but thats ok, its the world in which we live.

If you had a 250 swb the odds of being able to wind it out on the way tot he track are zero, you'll just be suffereing in a sea of cockaroach suvs stuck behind a truck throwing up stones with the left lane blocked by a zipperhead in a prius/odysey/enclkave. Even if you get past you can run for 30 seconds before the next knot of sheep, and if the road is really open cops are waiting to ruin your life. The model is the car that can do modern traffic with ease and relative comfort, yet knock it out the park on track. The odds of such a car being able to also entertain on a sunday backroads is minimal, because a backroads car is all about feedback at more moderate speeds and feedback cars in traffic and highway dont mix well. If they did there would be lots more miata and Elises about.

I love my backroad cars, drive en 2x per week. But the modern paddle car, i can go anwhere in confort without thinking about it, and wherever conditions allow push it for a corner or two. True youre not stringing together A-B, but realisticaly you do get more driving in because youre in the fast car more often.

Or if you could only have one car or two, the one that can also hack traffic with ease is worth the sacrifcice in terms of rawness if it can hack track too.

Texas Forever, Boomhauer and ralfabco like this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Any idea when GM is starting to take Z06 orders? I’d expect the car to not be delivered until 2022 at this rate.

Thecadster likes this.
  18. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Hope for a stripped Z28 with a manual.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its interesting because the camaro Zl1 is better and far quicker than a Gt350, but the Gt350 gets all the love

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I wonder how chevy plans to quell the vibes on a 5.5 flat plane v8. Is it super lightweight reciprocating mass, or heavy counterweights like a Gt350 in which case one of the benefits, zippy revs are muted.

Still if theyre really serious, as they were with the c6 z06, this can be a really interesting car. I give them a 50/50 shot, its still GM after all, regardless of the talent pool in the vette team.

95spiderman likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gt350 revs higher, sounds better, and looks much better. i think most reviews admit zl1 drives better.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I dont think the Gt350 sounds so great, different yes and maybe tingly because of the revs.

Agreed on the zl1 revs its still just a pushrod slugger.
    Imo the problem with the camaro is it looks runty, a big car design shrunken and also afflicted with rent a car interior and crappy greenhouse views.
    Still if you offered me the keys to only 1 for a few laps Id try the camaro, its just has so much more chassis wise and then theres the power, its a unique machine, great chassis and overdone power. If i were buying one of the two though it would probably be the stang, just a better all around car, but then Id probably go for a Upscale Gt, the bent v8 is a better road engine. The mustang in Gt350 guise is as far as thta car can go dynamicaly,

the vette, thats a whole order of maginitude better car dynamicaly and its just at the beginning, lets see how far they can take it. This C8 chasis is going to be around for a decade or two.

23. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The Camaro has the better chassis.

SAT4RE and boxerman like this.
  24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    most reviews say mustang is the better car with things like outward vision, style, interior, comfort, etc. but camaro is the better driver. and faster too.

SAT4RE and boxerman like this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ZL1 for track, GT350 as daily. :)

boxerman and 95spiderman like this.