Maserati Gran Tourismo Sport | FerrariChat

Maserati Gran Tourismo Sport

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Bill132, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill132

Bill132 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Wading River, NY
    Full Name:
    Bill Scheibel
    I am new here so if this has been covered, point me!
    Since I can't afford the Ferrari I want is a Maserati Gran Tourismo Sport a good compromise?
    My spend is less than 75K, any Ferrari in that price range doesn't do it for me.
    Thoughts?

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The Gran Turismo Sport is a GREAT car. Buy a 2013 or later to get the latest refinements. I have had my 2014 for almost six years now and it has been 100% bulletproof, no problems. You can also do almost all the service yourself, a rarity in modern cars. It is not a Ferrari, but for a modern GT car, it is wonderful, and only the Italians can make engines like that!

Nembo1777, jeffb99tx and Bill132 like this.
  3. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Agreed, I have a 2015 and love it. had two QPs before, all good with no problems. They are hard on brakes, but I dont use those much.

Texas Forever and Bill132 like this.
  4. Bill132

Bill132 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Wading River, NY
    Full Name:
    Bill Scheibel
    I am going to look at a 2017 this week!

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I’m interested in 2009 with 599 transmission, any issues with those?

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    75k will get you a great GranTurismo, look for an MC over a Sport.

7. Bill132

Bill132 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Wading River, NY
    Full Name:
    Bill Scheibel
    So for those with way more knowledge of the Gran Tourismo than I, are there any differences between the different model years from 2013 thru 2018? I can't find a 2019, I question whether any are actually in existence.It seems the cars are pretty much carbon copies of each other. AM I missing somethng?

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    2019 is convertible only. 2018 has the updated interior with the Garmin based Maserati version of the uConnect infotainment system. The MC is more aggressive than the Sport.

9. Bill132

Bill132 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Wading River, NY
    Full Name:
    Bill Scheibel
    Thanks. I really don't want a convertible. What about the interior changed, does it mater? Anyone have experience with the new vs old navigation?
    I am currently looking at a 2017 and a 2016. These things are hard to find in NY!

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    2009 is the best handling Mas since the GT started. Have a 2009 since new and the super fast trans makes it handle like it is a different car - is really great - if you want sand me a Image Unavailable, Please Login private note

11. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I had a 2014 Granturismo Sport and now I drive a 2018 model. The differences in the interior are huge, you really have to try both. I would never go back. In this sense, yes, it does matter.

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I am surprised we did not have a more active maser GT thread on here. the biggest advantage for me would be a true 4 seaters.
    It looks small but it is comfortable and allows not to have to buy an ugly Panamera or a diva like the Rapide.
    Only issue I see with GT is depreciation and that is what kept me out for 10 years. got a Porsche instead and love it. My feeling is thta I see 2013-14 at 40K now with fairly low miles and that may be a good entry price.
    I may still look for one but I am also still considering an ugly panamera because the turbo or GTS version are great cars, they are less expensive to maintain and great values a comparable price.

13. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Countachqv: I am not trying to start an argument, but how can the Gran Turismo Sport be more expensive to maintain than a Porsche Panamera? I have had the Maserati for six years and the only things I have spent money on are oil, air filters and belts. Oh, and one battery.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    May be you are right as I have not owned a GT. However Italian cars are usually more and the GT is a Ferrari engine base after all and I would expect more issues on a Maser than on a Porsche in general. My Cayman S cost 800 for service at dealership.
    At the end it depends on the car and on the owner. For a 4 seaters I expect a turn the key and go type of thing. I have read the GT can be temperamental but that is more on pre-2013. gain a great buying price can make up for a lot of services.

15. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Since 2014 I drive a Granturismo as my daily. I bought each one new (first one in 2014, second in 2018). With the first one I drove approx. 145'000 km in total. Maintenance costs on the level of an average German business limousine. With both cars I had/have no extra costs at all (the first one had a broken injector once, it was replaced on warranty). Unfortunately, people like you, who have never owned such a car before, keep writing stupid things. And that's only because you think you know something you've heard somewhere.

F1tommy, Flavio_C, boralogist and 3 others like this.
  16. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    Let’s keep it civil and play nice.

Bill132 likes this.
  17. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I had a 2014 GT and it was an excellent car as a daily. There was an intermittent suspension light but otherwise just great.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I initially did not wanna bother to respond to that nasty post but I will.
    I wish you would bother to read the post properly. Making a case for cheap maintenance for car you owned that is less than 5 year old and mostly under warranty is preaching the obvious and expected.
    My post mentioned pre-2013. My knowledge is from the service manager I know from a Mas dealership in my area.
    Own a 2010 or 2008 and report back without the unnecessary righteous tone. Thank you

19. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    I purchased an MC version and it's a blast for the money. I also own a F430 Spider and I prefer the MC over the F430. It's sounds amazing and it's more practical. A lot of car for the money!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. Bill132

Bill132 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Wading River, NY
    Full Name:
    Bill Scheibel
    So I was leaning towards a 2018, new interior and new navigation, but several of you have raved over the MC. There is no MC version in 2018. SO What is the best year for an MC? Or is any MC better than a standard Gran Turismo. I was thinking that a car with a warranty of some kind was a better idea. Is the MC that much better?

21. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    5000gt likes this.
  22. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It had the BEST noise ..

23. Bill132

Bill132 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Wading River, NY
    Full Name:
    Bill Scheibel
    Great looking car!

24. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    I think it's a just a matter of taste. The MC has a slightly different and more aggressive look, it is lighter and is also equipped with more carbon fiber. I prefer the look of the MC over the standard version. I think any year will work.