electric vs turbo | FerrariChat

electric vs turbo

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 95spiderman, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    seems like all int combustion engines will be turbo soon which i find very sad. really will miss high reving, great sounding, super responsive na engines. i can appreciate turbos like f8 and enjoyed my gtr and now audi rs5 turbos too but in no way can they compare to a 458 or even lotus 4 cyl at 8000 plus rpm.

was never a fan of electrics but recently had my 1st drive of a tesla. model y performance. and was very impressed. so much, that i wonder if its even worth keeping ice around if all we can have is turbos. rather have the lower cent gravity, torque vectoring, single pedal driving of electrics if alternative is just another tt.

was at pocono track day today and guy had a tesla 3 track pack car w stiff suspension, big brakes, mpsc tires. went very well. similar to a m3, etc. guy said each 20 min session used up 25% charge so would need a fast charger at track if wanted to do whole day and still get home but some tracks have that already.

i think electric will win out and ice will become 21st century steam engine and wont be such big deal

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Plenty of older NA cars to choose from, no reason to be sad.

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    true but they are getting old in other ways like interior, tech, suspension, transmission, etc. cant compare to what a new na asp car could be.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Lots of options with newer tech not to mention aftermarket equipment so I dont see an issue for a while.

5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Check out the Drako GTE

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the old fisker? nice but platform is decade old already. ice is a losing battle. fully electric is the future and while not ideal its still probably better than the present turbo age.

7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Naw the Drako is a new car from Shiv's company.

Do you guys have any plans beyond the initial run of 25? Something hopefully at a more pedistrian price point?

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    it is the old fisker hybrid redone as all electric. jay leno reviewed it last yr. he wasnt that impressed esp for the price. taycan or tesla over this.

9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    We are still developing a lot of new technology to enable the high performance aspect of battery cars, mostly around software and cell tech, and we hope that it will lead to larger volumes at around 812 SF price points in due course. As you folks all know, making money building cars is a tough business.

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    He also thought the inverters were the battery, he doesn't know the difference between AC and DC control, and he asked the Taycan guy if the regen was in the calipers. You can watch Valentino Balboni drive the car @ Thermal, you can also watch the run against the Tesla P100D at the runway. There's a lot more to come.

As for the "old Fisker" comment, yes, we use the VIN so we can have a street legal car without spending $1B. We basically re-use part of the chassis, the glass, the doors, and some switchgear.

All the electronics, including high and low voltage components, software, battery, motors, charging etc is all our own tech. Body is all carbon fiber made in Italy and designed by Lowie Vermeersch who designed the 458.

You can see our prototype at the Nurbugring versus the Mercedes here.

Watch the hands.

95spiderman likes this.
  11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    oh wow no idea you make the car. no disrespect meant. i think its awesome to have a bespoke electric car. people will go for that. my point in this thread is that electric is better than turbos we have now. best of luck.

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
  13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

95spiderman likes this.
  14. sca037