Anyone have a new Giulia | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by boxerman, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Got my rs5 today and I think Alfa still has presence. Audi motor is in another league altogether though. Alfa really needs sports exhaust and esp that can be shut off w launch control. With those options, Alfa is 80% Audi at 60% $. I love them both Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    did back to back and some interesting findings.

alfa ride in dynamic is still much smoother than audi in comfort. overall alfa feels about 1000 lbs lighter despite audi weighing 4000 vs 3800 alfa.

leather dash with stitching in alfa much nicer than vinyl audi but dont know how long alfa leather can last in sun and heat. ergonomics of switches on alfa better too. audi switches completely random. both have too small info screens but alfa upsized it for 2020. better interior storage in alfa too.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I find the Alfa's ride at speed to be sublimlely superb.
    Weird the car is so prescriptive in term sof not being able to shut systems off.

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    did track day today with alfa as swan song prior to end lease. pocono double infield with rain early then hot. car was awesome in rain. very predictable and esp worked well allowing me to bring it to limit prior to esc cutting power. i could easily get the power back by slightly reducing steering. was fun. not so great in the hot but no real complaints. then drove home in total comfort.

6. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Congratulations on the RS, all the RS Audis are special indeed.
    BUT to be fair, you compared the engine in the RS to a Giulia Ti, compare to a QV :D BTW Love the color on the Audi!

95spiderman likes this.
  7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    qv is probably better motor than rs. issue is i need the awd that i cant get in guilia qv. audi is luxury biased while alfa is towards sport. both teriffic cars. and alfa now available in green too.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Great comparisons. If the QV was AWD I would have been sorely tempted. Love my 2020 Ti so far. Just a few minor quirks and annoyances ... that stupid panic button on the keyfob is waaaaay too easy to hit by accident, brush it and the alarm goes off. Doors other than the drivers' door don't want to unlock if you have the key on you so you can't put groceries in the back seat without opening the drivers' door first. Wish you could automatically defeat the auto stop/start by putting it in Dynamic mode, I keep forgetting and it shuts off the power to the cigarette lighter so the radar detector resets itself every time. The trunk lid flies up so abruptly it could knock your teeth out and the opening to the trunk is laughably shallow, the trunk is reasonably big but good luck getting anything sizeable in there. But it drives fantastic, sounds good (for a 4-cylinder turbo) and is very engaging.

ryalex likes this.
  9. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I get it, in the Tri-State AWD is a necessity. BMW now makes the M5 & M3 in AWD as well. My QV is not really a DD, and rarely sees the road in the winter so for my use it fits the bill. Best of luck with the new Sportback!

ryalex and 95spiderman like this.
  10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    and of course, never had any snow over the 2 yrs i had the giulia so never needed the awd.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #111 Labman, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Getting a Giulia TI Sport AWD in Vulcano Black Metallic with black/ice interior. Ti Sport package, blind spot package, dual pane sunroof, upgraded HK stereo, 19' wheel with red calipers, Looking forward. The only thing that I'm worried about are the 19" wheels. Anyone have any horror stories with these wheels on the northeast pothole ridden roads? Thinking I have to get the tire/wheel insurance.

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    held up fine for me except for some curb rash that i fixed with gray touch up paint and sand paper

Labman likes this.
  13. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Wheel insurance is never a bad idea especially around here. depending on what they cover. your concern with Alfa is really one thing, dealer service. make sure you have a really good place to service, anybody can sell/lease you a car, the service end has proven to be trickier.
    Enjoy your Giulia!

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Took a 650 mile road trip witht he wife in the guila. According to the trip meter average 72 mph and 29 mpg. The ease with which you can add speed means its easy to slow down for blind rises and other cop spots then add the speed back easily. Tirbo mtors are a bit lazy to repsond and the 4 does not inspire but it pulls liek a freight train and the ride is simply sublime.

Shortely thereafter did 200 miules in the e46 m3. That car has two things the SAlfa lacks, it feels like youre sitting in a greenhouse because the door windows and windsheild are so much lower(most moderns have poorer sightlines). The real party trick is theNA motor, theres nothing like the surge and precison of the NA 6 once past 4500 rpm, the way the motor sings and stick simply a dimension of run the alfa lacks. Its also a very fluid car in its responses, but its ride sucks compared to the alfsa and its still dynamicaly inferior.

That being said, besides the m3 motor and greenhouse the Alfa is infintely superior in almost every other dimension.

While the BMw motor is great(the cars party trick), you gotta be past 4k revs already and that means mostly youre not there, unless youre working a road or really hoofing it on the highway.

the Alfa is simply the one car i have bought(besides the elise) that continues to exceed expectations and continues tp impress.

greg328 and 95spiderman like this.
  15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yup, lotus and alfa are way better than you would expect. make a fabulous pair

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have my Giulia for almost two weeks now and I absolutely love it. I love putting it in Dynamic mode and manual mode and use the very large paddle shifters. It really has a Ferrari feel to it. Very sporty. Enjoying it way more than the Benz E300 I had.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

niklas, bball16 and 95spiderman like this.
  17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It is fun to drive, isn't it? Revs up in a hurry.

Anyone else finding the touch screen to be sporadically non-responsive using CarPlay?

Labman likes this.
  18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    why do cars insist on touch screens?? great on a phone but terrible in a moving car. total distraction. scroll wheel controllers so much better like alfa had from 17-19

19. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Half the time i don't plug my Android phone into Auto. Just run it from my phone.

Just did an 800 mi road trip to Eastern Shore/Delmarva Penninsula. All 2 lane blacktop from Lewes DE south.
    Rain + night just added to the fun.
    I'm lovin this thing.

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's a shame the front plate absolutely ruins the look of the front bumper on the Giulia. I purchased a screw in tow hook mount from Amazon but wish we didn't have to display front plates here in NY :(

greg328 likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    2 yrs ny and never problem without front plate. just dont park in nyc because they will ticket that but can get out of it by just taping plate on temporarily and sending foto of that. worked twice for me.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    does anyone know why car wont go in reverse when trans is in manual mode? weird and could be safety issue if think reverse lights are on but theyre not.

23. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Hmm ... don't you have to move the lever back to the right to get it to go in reverse? Or do you mean you are using the paddles in automatic mode and then you can't get reverse?

I do find myself just pulling the paddle expecting to be out of park and in first gear, as in the Ferrari, but that doesn't work ;)

24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    when its in manual mode have to remember to slide shifter back to side before going to reverse. why cant it just allow reverse when shifter is on side of manual mode?

25. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I shift the car using the paddles, but I think when the shifter is slid to the manual side, pushing it up will downshift and pulling it back will upshift ... this is for the cars that do not have the paddles on the wheel. You can put it in park when it's in manual by hitting the P button, but you can't push it up for reverse, as that would downshift.

greg328 and 95spiderman like this.