Indycar 2020 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Indycar 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TeamF1Jr, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No, 'not "Swift" enuff..... :)

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Iowa race 2, new qualifying process, known as "put the Penskes up front". ;)

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It looks like a camel designed by a committee.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Did you watch last weekends races? I think both VeeKay and Marcus Ericsson were very glad to have the aeroscreen. Herta's nose, having already lost it's wing hit VeeKay right in the side of the aeroscreen at head height. If it hadn't been for the screen his head would have likely been smooched. Even just a Halo wouldn't have done as it would have gone between the upper bar and the side of the tub. For Ericsson it 'just' prevented debris from hitting him in the face.

I hated the look of the aeroscreen in the first couple of races, but it's already blending into the background. From the side it doesn't look too bad as long as the halo part isn't too bright and contrasting a color. From the front it's not good, but I'll take a live driver and a bit of ugly over the alternative.

Texas Forever and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It still won't save a driver in a Justin Wilson Henry Surtees situation where a piece of heavy debris hits the helmet from above but a fully enclosed fighter jet type canopy could of course fatally entrap a driver in a burning car...no zero risk scenario exists.

spicedriver likes this.
  6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Works for fighter jets, it should work for race cars. Include an emergency external release mechanism.

Also, to really be "safe", the wheels should be covered. Something like the old center seat Can-Am cars.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just booked tickets for the double header at Mid-Ohio. I am shocked they are allowing spectators, but i will take it. I haven't been to an Indycar race since the last Baltimore Grand Prix in 2013. Curious to see how the aeroscreens look in person.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Why are you shocked? Are things different in Ohio? They had spectators at Road America and Iowa. Curious.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Most of the country still isn't allowing them. A few days ago the Ohio governor announced a travel advisory for people coming from 9 states. It is a happy surprise, but a surprise none the less.

I was really hoping to go to the IMSA race at VIR but they just announced that will be run without spectators.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    ryanro24 likes this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that if they painted all the support structure "18% gray" (to use a photography term), it would become nearly invisible visually. I think that F1 should paint their halos the same way.

Terra and pilotoCS like this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

And if you are upside down?

And if it goes off prematurely in an accident?

If you want to remove all danger from cars going 200MPH, have all races be virtual.

greg328 likes this.
  13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    A canopy likely would have saved Gonzalo Rodriguez. His roll bar dug into the dirt, and offered no protection.

Having the cars setup as drones would be more interesting than anything virtual. Of course the fans, and pit crews would still be exposed to some danger.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There are exceptions to every rule. Pilots who eject don't automatically survive either.

The question is which does the least harm.

greg328 likes this.
  15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  16. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Are you sure the debris from Sage Karam's car at Pocono made contact with Justin Wilson's helmet FROM above? I thought the debris came AT the frontal portion of his helmet.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I looked at it quite a few times to understand plus they had a slow Mo. Like Henry Surtees it a million to one chance...

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Practice for the 500 begins tomorrow. 33 entrants for 33 starting positions, that kind of kills any suspense for Bubble Day. Where's Jim Hurtubise when we need him?

Tenney likes this.
  19. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Herk!!

375+ likes this.
  20. #71 lorenzobandini, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Tsk, tsk, tsk....

Lemme' tell ya'.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    He's upstairs, munchin' on some Fritos, washed down by some Pepsi doncha' know....? ;)

:)

TheMayor likes this.
  21. #72 lorenzobandini, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    For the unenlightened.....
    "Actually, there were two Mallards constructed. Herk also built one for Texas racer Ebb Rose, but it was written off in a crash. Herk’s own Mallard was modernized with squared-off, wedge-shaped bodywork and last raced at Michigan in 1972, where it started 26th (last) and finished 23rd. But probably the Mallard’s most celebrated moment came on Bump Day at Indy in ’72. The car sat in qualifying line all day without making an attempt, and at six o’clock when the gun sounded, the fun-loving Hurtubise opened the hood, where there was no engine to be found—only five cases of beer on ice for his friends."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    A quick read.... https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/jim-hurtubise-and-the-mallard-offy/

TheMayor and 375+ like this.
  22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sounds as though there are going to be some alterations to the windscreens to aide air in the
    cockpits starting at Indy.

Evidently, drivers are getting too hot in the cockpits. Some solutions were tried out when Jimmie
    Johnson tested Rosenqvist's car at Indy a couple of weeks ago.

BHW

23. The aeroscreen isn't a wind screen per se (they had air deflectors prior since way back when); it works in conjunction with the halo to keep parts from hitting the driver, side intrusion also. Thus "you" can't see the drivers anymore.
    But yeah, they've been working on ventilation for some time now.

" Asked if the water at the bottom of the screen was coming through the NACA ducts designed for cockpit cooling, Power said: “Nah, I don’t think it was coming from the vents. I think it was just where the screen was sealed [to the bulkhead].” "
    https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/power-leaking-aeroscreen-easy-fix/4683780/

" Additional cooling for Road America
    IndyCar drivers entered the season with three new cooling measures meant to counteract the loss of the air hitting their faces and chests as they speed at 220 mph or more. But they’ve proven to not be enough.

The measures included two holes drilled into the nose of the car with the use of ducting to bring air to the driver’s feet and legs; two channels of air that enter below the base of the screen and are fed into the cockpit toward the driver’s chest; and a helmet cooling system where air is picked up from a side-mounted scoop that then pushes air through a hose that connects into the driver’s helmet.
    But as Rossi said, particularly on tracks where the cars aren’t moving fast enough to push air into the car with enough force, drivers have hardly noticed any cooling efforts. Additionally, the helmet hose system has often fed in dirt, dust and tire marbles from the track.

“And the teams can’t do anything. We need that all to come from the series, and it needs to be a priority, because it’s pretty bad,” Rossi said. "
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2020/07/10/indycar-adds-cooling-hydration-measures-aeroscreen-road-america/5405796002/
    IndyCar introduces new aeroscreen cooling option for Road America
    https://racer.com/2020/07/09/indycar-introduces-new-aeroscreen-cooling-option-for-road-america/

24. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Hondas are looking strong again for qualifying.

Alonso is 2mph off of his team mates and towards the bottom for qualifying speed. He hit the wall yesterday. McLaren cars weren't drafting and following cars well in practice yesterday. Hopefully they find some improvements.