488 Battery Options? | FerrariChat

488 Battery Options?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ca_scud, Apr 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    #1 ca_scud, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    After seeing the AVH thread and multiple threads about warning lights coming on randomly, I’m wondering if the stock battery just isn’t up to the task.

I saw one reference to replacing with a Braille battery and an old thread talking about using either Interstate or Odyssey AGM.

Has anyone ever resolved their electrical gremlins with a better battery?

I haven’t had any of these issues, but would gladly swap batteries to prevent them.

(On a related note, I put in an Optima Red Top in my Scuderia within weeks of getting it and have had no problems in 7 years of ownership, but I think those were simpler times electronically speaking.)

2. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Aside from Braille lithium ion- the holy grail of batteries It is my understanding that this is the best AGM battery to put in a 458/488

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtx-48/h6

I plan on getting one next week. Will be following this thread to see if there is anything better (that doesn't involve spending 2.7k on a braille)

On my previous car (Maserati Granturismo) it was reccomended to use the same h6 battery. But the battery tray was able to fit the bigger H8 battery which is what I used to great success. Kinda wish the 488 would fit an h8 battery to allow us to have the extra juice we desperately need!

ca_scud likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Costco sells a group 48 battery that works in the 458 or 488.

The braille i48CS is your best bet however.

Optima was purchased by another company some years back and the quality is much lower now.

Ray

flifer likes this.
  4. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Hi ,
    I have a question for you, Ray,
    Did you buy the i48CS...for your 488. How long do you have it and any issues w the i48CS ?

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I originally bought it for my 458, then moved it over to the 488.

The charging system of the 458 seemed to provide a full charge to the battery, whereas with the 488 I don't think it did. So with the 488 you'd need to top it off using the charger now and then I believe. There was something screwy about how the charging system of the 488 worked as compared to the system in the 458.

In the 458, zero issues. It worked flawlessly and I never needed to use the tender, even if the car sat for 2-3 weeks.

I ran it in the 488 for only 5 months and then sold the car. I wasn't really much of a fan of the 488.

If I can answer any other questions, just let me know.

Ray

6. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a 488 and I drive it a min of once per week, but I always keep it on the charger. Its just a magnet on the back bumper so no reason not to. I was told to keep her on the tender whenever she's nt rolling by a F-car mechanic...And "no" problems.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    No problems, yet...

:)

Ray

8. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Thank you

Rafael B

Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's one AGM battery that will blow everything else clean out of the water, and it's less than 100$ more than the average Interstate. Get the Braille B7548, it's as good as it gets. Will an Interstate be an improvement over the stock p.o.s? Yes. Will the B7548 be an improvement over anything bar a Braille lithium battery? Yes. You have a Ferrari, get a battery worthy of it and leave the Interstate for the Ford F150.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

020147 and sampelligrino like this.
  10. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Hi ,
    Thanks for the input. I agree w Braille
    Rafael

11. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is what was in mine when I got it (previously installed before I got my car) when this dies I’ll probably do the AntiGravity as I can get for cost.

Is this preferred over any other regular AGM?

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The i48CX or i48CS is really what you want.

Ray

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I had exactly the same battery on my 458 until last August when i switched to an Antigravity 40Ah..I was having issues with the Odessay if car was left in the garage for over a week without being driven..It would struggle to crank and the ECU would throw all kinds of error codes which drove me nuts.
    My 458 has been sat in the garage for over a month without starting due to the Covid 19 lockdown..Today i decided to take it out to wash all the dust off it..When i tried to unlock the car it was dead as the battery had gone to sleep as designed to..A quick press of the fob supplied by Antigravity and the car beeped and unlocked..It started strongly and by just revving it in my yard for a few minutes i saw the voltmeter charge up to nearly 14V..
    I weighed both the Odessey and new Antigravity batteries when i switched them and the Antigravity was exactly 7Kg compared to 20.6Kg for the Odessey..
    Very impressed with Antigravity and i'm fitting the same battery to my 991.2GT3 RS Wp when i get it back on the road.

Jason B likes this.
  14. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Yea, these cars like and need to be plugged in pretty much instantly. I can go 3 days without using tender and the start is still strong. The Lambo can go 3 weeks no problem with a tender (that's audi helping with electronics) I've heard the 488's die even quicker than the 458's. Just what I keep hearing.

The new wireless remote that comes with the Antigravity is pretty cool. There's also a $35 add on that lets you monitor voltage from your smartphone. So that means the Odessey battery Ferrari uses is 45.42 lbs and the Antigravity battery is 15.4 lbs. Nice.

As I mentioned, I'm a dealer for AntiGravity so if anyone needs one, just reach out and I'll pass on the savings.

15. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Antigravity batteries seem like an excellent choice. I have seen a couple of YouTube videos in a 458. If you would like to buy one please contact PM Jason B. He gave me a better deal than the factory.

Thanks,

Rafael B.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They like and need it if the battery is crap. The Lusso has sat for over a month several times without charger, and that has a Varta Silver Dynamic in it. No issues. It's all about the quality, and if your car can't sit for over three days, that is not the cars fault and it should not be like that. It's been some time since Odessey made great batteries, so not much to gain there.
    We're unfortunately screwed on the Braille AGM batteries here in Europe as the European distributor has decided to only import lithium batteries, hence the Varta in the Lusso.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Hi,
    I’m going through this at the moment.
    My car is currently dead while I am arranging for Ferrari assist to take it it to a dealer.
    Of course they are pushing for a new Odessey.

Can you tell us which tender we need for a 458 with the antigravity battery?

Do we need to purchase an new tender? Presumably the socket will not be the proprietary Ferrari 458 one?

Thanks
    Tito

18. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here's all you need, and yes, you need a lithium specific charger.

Ctek Lithium charger
    https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-LITHIUM-Automatic-Phosphate/dp/B00EUF6UM8
    Adapter
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ctek-Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Conditioner-Adapter-Cable-4-pin-Type-/183641012432
    Battery 60ah (in stock)
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=31675

Ask them to put that Odyssey battery in the trash where it belongs.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just a quick observation for you. As you can see, Jason B has been banned, so he has no way of replying to your post or read PM's from you.

21. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I installed the Braille AGM in my 488 last month. So far I’ve been quite happy, I’ll be interested to see if it goes 3 years without issue. My car lives on a Ctek 7002 with the adaptor from eBay linked above when not in use.

Rafael B likes this.
  22. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have an AGM Interstate on my 488 that's just about 3 years old and has never had issues, although I should most likely replace it soon before it does have issues, but I would be shocked if your lithium battery lasts less than 3 years.

I wonder if living on a battery tender can cause harm, kind of like how older laptop computers needed to have some level of battery discharge every now and then. Apple used to advise you to actually use the battery every now and then instead of living on a charger 24/7, although nowadays they don't (but I presume modern-day laptops may have more advanced battery management systems than our clunky Ferrari electronics)

I live in a condo and don't have access to an electrical socket so my car doesn't live plugged in 24/7. However, I plug it into a portable lithium battery every 2 weeks (or every week if I'm not driving it, although I usually drive it a minimum of once or twice a week)

I'm starting to think maybe that's better for long term battery health vs staying plugged in 24/7... As my battery never really gets lower than 40% discharged before it gets plugged in.

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You need a lithium ion specific charger as noted above. A regular one designed for a lead-acid battery will ruin or possibly start a fire if used with a lithium ion battery.

Here is where to get an Antigravity.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Rafael B likes this.
  24. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I don’t see the ctek chargers having the round magnetic plug for the 488 to trickle charge the lithium battery

25. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    I believe you have to also buy the magnetic adapter.
    it plugs into the same port as the other adapters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ctek-Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Conditioner-Adapter-Cable-Magnetic-Type/182967461758?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3Dada043351b684623b1f7a257e7e2ab07%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D183641012432%26itm%3D182967461758%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Need4Spd and mdrums like this.