Who should replace Perez for Silverstone? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who should replace Perez for Silverstone?

Discussion in 'F1' started by AbarthDave1, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    He left the bubble he was supposed to stay within !

You know, the bubble where nobody inside of it has Covid19; and can't pass it around.

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I don't know what bubble you are talking about. A lot of drivers returned to their home countries before Silverstone. Perez didn't do nothing different.

4. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    UK regulations are currently that anyone coming into the UK from a non-quarantine exempted country is required to self-isolate for 14 days. Perez returned to the UK from Mexico which is a CV-19 hotspot and not exempted.

I don't know what arrangements Liberty have with the UK authorities to allow them to stage the race, but I read that their intention is to comply with all local country rules.

So Perez should be self-isolating for 14 days even if he hadn't tested positive. I'm not sure what the position is with Spanish drivers as Spain is also not currently exempted. I don't know if any of them have been back to Spain recently. I think Perez was foolish to go to Mexico even if he didn't break any F1 rules; he took an unnecessary risk and put UK residents at risk by doing so. A lot of people in the UK have died and even more have suffered (and will suffer) financial hardship as a result of this virus, so we don't need a millionaire driver taking risks on our behalf. If he wants to see his Mum, then by all means drop out of the team for the season and go back to Mexico. A lot of people have had to make far more difficult choices.

william likes this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Oh come on, give me a break! The UK was until recently one of the worst EU performers on this COVID saga and right back in the beggining one of its citizen even brought this virus from Asia and spread it out in a ski resort in France! And as you say, Spain is now in a bad situation too. Two weeks ago a dance club in Zürich was responsible for a lot of infections in a single night. Perez flying to Mex in a private just, taking the necessary precautions, is not a more risky situation than going to a party in Monaco wearing no masks.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The moral of the story is that drivers shouldn't leave the voluntary confinement all participants have accepted to keep F1 running.
    They do so at they own risk; even if they don't get contaminated, they may be sidelined for sanitary reason.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The UK response was slow, confused and complacent; which is about where you seem to be with the Perez situation. Sadly the UK is/was not unique.

From a strictly factual point of view, no one actually knows who brought the virus from where to where and when yet, but we do know that there were multiple sources that brought the virus into the UK rather than a single 'patient zero'.

william likes this.