Do your brakes squeak this bad? | FerrariChat

Do your brakes squeak this bad?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Still can’t get them to stop. I have taken them up to speed and did the stop method a Few times but it only last for a few days.

It sounds way worse than in the video.

2. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    One thought.... do you by any chance use some sort of tire spray on shine on your tires?

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My car is a 2016 Cali T. I have zero brake squeak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I think they might when I get it washed. I tend to wash it on the weekends.

5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Mine squeals sometimes as well. Maybe try some new pads or research a different brand of pads for carbon discs. Good luck

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What kind of bed in method have you used to bed the pads? Specifically how many stops from what speed?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I went from 80ish down to 20 maybe six or seven times.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is incredibly important that the car is not washed with anything containing any kind of silicone ot wax. If you get that stuff on your discs, it is nearly impossible to get them free of it.
    Make sure they stay away from wheel cleaners as well. With ceramic brakes, it is rarely needed as they don't leave iron based deposits.

What brand and type of shampoo do they use where they wash your car? IF you insist on a wheel cleaner, only use Sonax Extreme Plus wheel cleaner. Spray it on a sponge so that you can wipe down the wheel with it. This keeps it out of the discs.
    Same with tyre shine if you must use that stuff. NEVER spray that directly on the tyre. It will inevitably get on the rotors, and there is no better way to ruin the discs.

If you have gotten tyre shine or soap with wax or sealants on the disc, there's no real way around a bit of manual labour - one wheel at a time if you don't have a lift.

Step 1
    Get the wheel off.
    Step 2
    Get the brake pads out.
    Step 3
    Remove the brake disc
    Step4
    Clean the disc on both sides with Isopropy alcohol. IMPORTANT! Only use pure Isopropy alcohol. Any other type of alcohol WILL leave a film and residue.
    Step 5
    Place a 15" by 15" piece of 600 grit wet sanding paper on a flat surface and clean each pad surface thoroughly on the paper. Wipe down the pads with Isopropyl after.

Before putting it all back together, clean the hub flange the disc sits against, as well as the inner flange of the disc bell.

Step 6
    Apply a super thin layer of high temp paste to the hub flange. Should be extremely thin - basically just apply it and whipe it off so it's only a "film".
    Step 7
    Look at your pads. You can see where the pistons contact the pads. Apply a thin layer of the same high temp brake paste on each of the contact areas. Also apply a thin layer on the edges of the backing plate where it makes contact with the spring and caliper.
    Step 8
    Install disc wearing latex gloves
    Step 9
    Reinstall pads carefully making sure not to smear the paste where it does not belong.
    Step 10
    Re-bed your pads before doing any kind of leisurely driving.

A PITA? Yep. But there's no easy fix if your discs are contaminated by wax or sealants.

If your pads are fairly worn, get a set of Pagid RSC1 pads. Better material and often more quiet than OE pads. Just keep in min that with Pagid pads, you need to reuse the wear indicators and springs. No biggie though.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's nowhere near enough to get properly rid of pad glaze. You need to use the method I described in the other thread. Heat is part of it, but so is friction in relation to wheel speed. If your pads are glazed, which they probably are if not contaminated, at least 10 stops from 115-120mph to 50 in rapid succession is needed.

10. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I will try to find an open road this weekend and give this a try.

11. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Also, can you link where you posted on how to do bedding in? Can’t find the other thread.

12. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    question for CO-pilota, do you have the correct part number for the ferrari california (2009-2013) Pagid RSC1 pads front and back?
    thank you so much for your time.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  14. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    thank you so much for your fast replay Co-Pilota! I am curious to try....

Il Co-Pilota and russellmcg like this.
  15. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Does replacing the brake pads eliminate the squeaking or is this just a universal issue to this type of vehicle? Just got my car and my breaks are squealing something fierce.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #17 Il Co-Pilota, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Try a proper bed in before you change anything.

It is not a nessecary evil, just something Ferrari don't feel like caring about.

More often than not, pads help. Does it remove it completely? Not always.
    CarboTech 1521 pads are also very popular with the Corvette guys. They report a great improvement in noise reduction. Generally speaking, the stock T4300 compound is not very impressive.

How much material is left on your current pads?

17. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Does anyone who has a California T have this issue also? Seems that it was only on the earlier California models.

18. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My Cali T has zero brake squeal

russellmcg likes this.
  19. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I had a 2013 Cali 30 which would squeal, rinsing the (cool) brakes with water would usually quiet it down until they got dirty again -- you don't see much visible brake dust from the carbon ceramic discs but they would squeal after a while.

On my Cali T, no squeak, ever.

20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It sounds like you are having some bad breaks with your brakes. Or is it some bad brakes with your breaks? Anyway,an anti-squeal suggestion that has been on this forum for some years is an occasional hard stop from high speed. I do it every 1000 miles and have had no squeal yet. Is that the reason? Who knows? Would it cure an existing squeal problem? Who knows? But it's a good reason to have some fun,and I am sure that the Nevada Highway Patrol would be understanding.

I remember enjoying 150 mph in my Corvette on a straight two-lane south from Reno,but that was before the federal government forced Nevada to impose speed limits on rural roads. Good luck.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is not limited to old Calis. T does it, Porto does it, 458 does it, 488 does it, Pista does it. How much? It depends on the individual car.
    My Lusso is dead quiet, but the FF made one hell of a racket.

Please don't misinform others by saying that all T's and Portos are quiet, because that is far from the case.

Just putting it out there so there is no confusion.

22. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks for clarifying this. Since I have only had experience with my 2011 Cali, that's why I was wondering if it was notorious on other makes as well.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Most do it to some extent, but those who uses the T4300 pads and Brembo CCM roþors are the worst.

But BMW, Mercedes and Porsche do it a lot less, but they all use a much more modern type disc.

24. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "Please don't misinform others by saying that all T's and Portos are quiet, because that is far from the case."

This is a Cali, Calit T, Porto thread FYI
    I looked back on the thread and don't see how posting the truth is miss-informing anyone?
    'My Cali T has Zero Brake Squeal"
    It Appears Ferrari Changed the pads at some point on the Cali 30 and the Brake squeal posts went away.

A quick google search:
    Search Results
    Web results

California Brake Squeak | FerrariChat
    www.ferrarichat.com › ... › California/Portofino/Roma

Once they start squeaking, the fix is simple. Take up to 60 mph and STAND ON THE BRAKES H A R D, real hard. Then take it up to 80 mph and do it again. If they squeak after that do it one more time.
    Jul 18, 2017 - 25 posts - ‎11 authors
    Any real solution to brakes squealing? | FerrariChat
    23 posts
    Oct 26, 2015
    Squeaking Cali Brakes | FerrariChat
    20 posts
    Jun 8, 2014
    I know the brakes are supposed to squeal, but even when ...
    18 posts
    Nov 19, 2017
    Need help with Brake Squeak! | FerrariChat
    10 posts
    Jan 19, 2013
    More results from www.ferrarichat.com

I cant find the Cali T, Porto posts regarding brake squeal? Its seems its no longer an issue