Considering GTC4Lusso V12 | FerrariChat

Considering GTC4Lusso V12

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by SECRET, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    While I'm usually on a handful of sub-forums within FChat, I've never really opened or read the FF/Lusso/F12/812S forum until recent. I've noticed there are not many threads on the GTC4Lusso V12 save for the dreaded PTU threads [FF as well].

Is it considered common understanding by GTC4Lusso V12 owners that their vehicles will eventually face the PTUs seen by others? Or is this a luck of the draw type of failure. I've read through a few threads, but haven't clearly seen the description of what's problematic or failing.

Are there any other issues or quirks that GTC4Lusso owners generally understand to be true that I might want to keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance folks.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #2 Caeruleus11, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    I love my GTC4L, it has 6500 miles. Its just so useable. I have no issues with the car. Its been entirely reliable but its still new. The only issue I have is the front tires are too easy to damage, so you have to really watch out with potholes. The car is a long term keeper for me so I will probably get the warranty. It is a huge family favorite- everyone loves it. I feel like its a little bit of a secret when I am driving it because so many people who would stare at a flashy car don't look up from their phones. Even with the noise... no doubt a Speciale or Pista would garner so much more attention. And did I mention the V12 is epic? Get stuck in traffic, pop it into comfort and auto. Or blast down your favorite road in sport and manual and indulge. The car is comfortable in a surprising way. And the handling is excellent considering. Other more sporting models will handle better, but, I am never really left wanting on the road. The brakes work very well but I would like them to feel a little more positive. Highly recommended.

456-boy, Gh21631, of2worlds and 11 others like this.
  3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Oh man, that is what I was hoping to hear. Trying to convince my wife this is a good move for us coming from a 570S daily driver where our little toddler can't really enjoy yet. We currently haul ourselves around in a big SUV when we do go out with him (which is just about the ONLY time we go out lately).

4. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Well, of course a 570 is a mid engine super car, this is a super GT. And then you have the Pista also it seems, which is really a hypercar. Congratulations btw! Putting a toddler into the back seat of this car daily will probably be a little bit annoying but there's more room back there than you might realize. I think its safer than in the front seat. You should find one and try it out. My kids are teenagers and they laugh when I stomp on it, the shift lights, they love the passenger display, it flashes, they love the engine noise. The car is still a Ferrari, so when people do look and see the horse on it, they will know. Especially places you visit frequently so its not as stealth as a de-badged AMG for example. Im not so sure you would love replacing the sports car with the Lusso and I wouldn't replace the SUV, I think I'd look at it as a car to add to your stable.

5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    What he said. Had a FF. Have a Lusso 12. PTU done under warranty on FF. Extended the warranty on purchase with Lusso. Family car all day every day. Seat moves forward so ease of car seat use but my guys are now 11/13.

My only regret is not buying sooner. What’s the market is sellers right now here. What’s it look like for you now? Seems like pista lussos are sold and prices firmer. Limited inventory.

ScottS

6. XSQF

XSQF Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    Perfect daily driver, get one and slap a Kline on it.

7. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Got 22000km on mine, only issue has been a dead battery, replaced under warranty by the dealership. I dont believe the PTU issue is well spread. Obviously you read about the cases when it happens, but the vast majority has not seen any issue with it. It might also depend on how much strain you put on the PTU. I drive mostly on highways so I guess the PTU is not even engaged most of the time.
    The Lusso V12 is a car you can really use as a daily. Indeed, putting an infant in the back will not be as easy as in a GLS, but that's probably a minor inconvenience for what you get. IMO, there is no equivalent on the market. It's a car that will really put a smile on your face every time you drive it, even after 22000km. You have a sense of occasion you dont get with AMGs for example. Just get the extended warranty for peace of mind, and enjoy the car! It's a keeper for me, I am not planning on selling it anytime soon, because I would not know what to replace it with.

of2worlds, NeilF8888 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    For those of you daily driving the Lusso, esp. with backseat passengers often in tow, is the glass roof too much of a contributor to heat in the cabin and uncomfortable glare/eye comfort etc for the folks in the rear.

When we had a Tesla Model S, the novelty was cool at first, but it ended up being a huge source of radiated heat that the interior cooling system never kept up with. Rear passengers often didn't find it as mesmerizing after 10-15 mins under the noon sun.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

9. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I traded my beloved McLaren MP4-12C for another similarly, oddly named GTC4Lusso. Other than having to explain the name of each of the vehicles as a series of letters and numbers to admirers, I have enjoyed and look forward to every moment in the car. It is not going to garner the attention of a McLaren as the doors open in a more regular fashion, but I am able to drive it almost daily, which makes me happy. I have no buyer's remorse. I do miss the McLaren, but I love the V12 Lusso. It has become my favorite all-around car, and it is certainly a keeper.

of2worlds, Caeruleus11, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I absolutely love my Lusso. I have had a 2016 FF, a 2017 Lusso, and now a 2019 Lusso. I would buy as new as possible as the newer ones have a new shape for the side mirrors, that surround tv thing that helps you park, and a new cruise control as well as a few other safe driver things that thankfully you can turn on and off.

Out of all my Ferraris I will always grab the Lusso key first over any other. It's an amazing city car as well as a great highway cruiser. If that doesn't sound convincing enough, I had my first Lusso on the track and drove several others in Italy at the Corso Pilota on Ice in the Alps. All around the most versatile Ferrari I've ever had.

11. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Same here, several F cars available, always grab the Lusso, just a great car!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and ScottS like this.
  12. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The glass is pretty heavily tinted (much darker than the windows) and I have never had a complaint about heat radiating through it, although I have driven 1000s of km with 4 people on board. I drive the car mainly in southern Europe during summer so it can get quite hot. I imagine the steel roof will bring even more protection, but I honestly dont think the glass roof is an issue regarding too much sun.
    It might be different if you primarily use the car in Arizona, New Mexico or the likes, though.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Living here in the inferno of Phoenix, Arizona let me first say summer here sucks. It is beyond miserable to live in AZ right now and I hate every aspect of it. That said driving here in summer in general is a miserable experience especially if you have to leave any car outside for more than 20 minutes. While I do drive the Lusso about in this hell on earth the only thing the glass top does is add extra light for the rear passengers. The Lusso AC keeps up with the heat as well as any other car with the glass roof. I will be out today in the car and will pay more attention to it and give more feedback if needed.

Bundy, SECRET and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    We took ours on family vacation to So Cal last summer and we went inland one day with ambient temps around 110F, my wife, I, 2 teenagers. No one ever complained about the glass roof. I don’t think it makes a meaningful difference in terms of cabin heating. However, I will say the AC in the Lusso is not quite up to the level of the best cars like an S Class or big Audi, BMW, Caddy type thing. But, it is a lot closer than Ferrari used to be, and, the cabin went from brutal to just kind of warm after a few minutes. Then it took maybe another 10 minutes and it was genuinely cool. We all love the Lusso because it lets us be together in a Ferrari. My opinion is you gain more with the glass roof than you loose. I think its part of the reason why they like to be in the rear, because it just feels airy.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

LARRYH, sampelligrino, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    We’re in central Florida. Piano roof is the way to go. No complaints. Even with the lusso sitting in the parking lot at Disney all day. Air con first rate. My son turns his vents off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I love it! Go to Disney, and then get into the Lusso and the REAL rides begin! :)

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Very helpful feedback everyone. From what I can tell, must-have options seem to be:

· ECRF - Panoramic Roof
    · SNDB - High Power Hi-Fi System
    · PAC2 - Dual View Front Parking Cameras
    · PDIS - Passenger Display
    · Apple CarPlay [for me] -- I have read that this cannot be added later?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes anything and everything to help park is 100% needed. That front spoiler is all too susceptible to getting rammed into high curbs. My son LOVES that passenger display and while I don't care, he would demand it. Also got the upgraded stereo and for once skipped the aftermarket exhaust.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The US market is different to Europe but over here, you’d need scuderia shields and the carbon wheel with LEDs at a bare minimum. Things like passenger display and hifi would be icing on the cake. You might also want to think about lift as well.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My family loves the passenger display and the CarPlay. I think it is possible to add it after the fact but there seems to be a lot of resistance by dealers to do it, so I think if you want it, you need to find a car with it.

ScottS and LARRYH like this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good point about the lifter, on the Lusso, it lifts both ends, its nice if you have to park in a field.

Bundy likes this.
  22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The lifter lifts the front and rear? I know lifting all 4 corners is pedestrian to most of us that own SUVs, but it's man that's pretty frickin' cool [on a Ferrari]!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. XSQF

XSQF Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    Yup, lifts the rear as well, the first time I saw it I actually thought something was wrong with my caro_O

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and SECRET like this.
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Cool, J. I don’t think our FF did that. Learned something new today.

25. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Do you guys know if the passenger display can be added after the fact? Or if anyone has successfully added CarPlay?

ScottS likes this.