812 GTS driver feedback please. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

812 GTS driver feedback please.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by khal360, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Wonderful! Thank you for the pictures and videos!! Enjoy!

Love the interior too

Lukeylikey likes this.
  2. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks for sharing! When you’ve broken it in share some more please. Congratulations again!

Lukeylikey and Thecadster like this.
  3. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Beautiful car, Great review and video! Thank you so much! Hope we hear more feedback from the owners :)

Lukeylikey likes this.
  4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    That sounds and looks incredible... absolutely amazing.

Congratulations and enjoy in excellent health :)

ScottS and Lukeylikey like this.
  5. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
  6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I spoke to a motoring journalist this week who mentioned that Ferrari are running c. 4 months behind in terms of providing press cars. He didn't expect to have a GTS for test drive until late 2020 / early 2021. Not sure why so late..?

In the meantime... any more reviews / thoughts from those that have taken delivery?

7. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Question for those that have taken delivery. What is the percentage increase in base pricing of the GTS over the SF. I think I may be one of the first in the states and curious what it is in uk/Europe.

8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Suggest doing a careful look over of the car at the dealer. I noticed some spots on the surface behind the driver side door and on the rear deck that looked a bit funny. Could be dirt or dust. Or something else...

SV

RamsHmb and KenU like this.
  9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think about £40k or 15%

RamsHmb likes this.
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Driving in the alps I am finding some interesting comparisons with the Pista. I have never really considered the 812 a GT, too compromised in the comfort department for that, and too sporty in its responses. The best GTs are powerful but cosseting and allow you to go quickly, sitting on your sofa. Driving down a quick mountain pass, the 812 felt more like a GT than the sports car it really is. I drive the same pass in the Pista a month ago. You can really ‘get up’ the Pista and it stays with you. The 812 needed me to brake significantly earlier into downhill hairpins (of which there were many). It was also less confidence inspiring and those precipices loomed large! I think if I was prepared to really stand on the brakes it would have been fine but it is still relatively new. I could smell those brakes working though and at the end of the drive there was a black film on the back of the car, the same as the first day I drove it.

In the end, you can’t disguise the weight of that V12, plus the fact it is up front (so under braking the weight distribution is massively to the front axle). I’ll have more opportunities to see if I can find a driving style that suits better but in the meantime, I must confess to being a little disappointed about that aspect of its performance. Maybe the Pista is the most exacting of comparisons, maybe my mid/rear engined driving style is an issue. It doesn’t take too much gloss off what is a great car though. I think it sensational to look at, I’m appreciating its curves more each day. The rear is so well done.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Given that it has nearly the same weight distribution as a mid-engined V8, it is probably just the extra overall weight. Cou'd it be that the brakes weren't bed in yet?

12. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    That’s disappointing. Obviously the cars are very different but most people have found the 812 to handle very well. The 250kg weight difference is hard to hide. However the Fiorano lap times are identical on both cars. If the v8 is a 10 dynamically how would you rate the 812 on your drive as far as excitement?

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think you need to give it some time. I felt the same way when I first got the 812. I have some nice esses on hills that I can run it through and when I first got the car I was put off by the length and so took them easy but as time goes by I got more and more aggressive and the car sticks, I brake less going in and accelerate more coming out now. The car stays put, it's really nimble. It doesn't provide the same feedback as the 488 did but I think it's every bit as stable for the level I can drive.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Interesting. I have yet to experience the GTS, but a few things strikes me.

The weight distribution is about the same as a 488 Spider, and so is the weight. From driving the Superfast and seeing the response from others behind the wheel, this is my conclusion.

What gives the car a feeling of a different balance, is the seating position much further back. Once people get used to this, it is clear that the cars have very similar properties when it comes to rotation. But initially, it feels different because you are placed on a different axis. There is no extra weight and there is not much in terms of weight distribution. This is what my time with the 812 has taught me.

When it comes to comfort, remember that the car need at least 2000 km of good chassis excercise to loosen up and settle. I found the Pista Spider to be annoyingly harsh and nervous off the production line. But after a few track days and 2500 km, it was much better. This is just the nature of any car. It takes time to settle. And the harder you drive it, the quicker it settles. A few fast apex curbs and a few jumps helps:)

Don't forget that the 812 GTS does not sit within the Ferrari GT line. It is a sports car and they developed it as a sports car. It might have the engine in front of the driver, but it's a sports car and a proper supercar. It's been a while since the two seater V12s were real GT cars. 550, 575 and 599. But even with the softer F12, it became a very different animal.

I think it is important that ones expectations is held in contrast to what the manufacture developed the car to be. If one expects a soft GT with the suspension of a Lusso, one will be quite disappointed. But if one wants a playful V12 supercar that constantly tries to seduce you and urge you on, the 812 is as good as it gets.

I of course speak from Superfast experience, but much of it can be transferred to the GTS I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JMJ, ROMO, nimamd and 3 others like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very true. It is also worth noting that if the car comes on Pirellies, there's something to be gained both in terms of responsiveness and comfort going to MPS4S.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think you misunderstood my point. I agree, I was fully expecting proper sports car performance, not Grand Tourer. And for the most part it is, however, driving down a mountain, approaching hairpins, you are very conscious of the added weight. Since I could directly compare it with a similar miles Pista Spider, I can say the 812 felt very different. Both great cars though.

By the way, sitting behind the engine and over the rear axle is only part of the issue. Although the Weight is central, the V12 puts weight higher so you have less wieldy handling. You also have a heavy transmission sling further out the back to get that weight balance, which is not as pure as the mid V8 I suspect. Plus you have a spring/damper setup and chassis tune that is designed more towards road use, so it is controlled less.

The heavier V12 is a plus and a minus - wonderful engine, engineers (and drivers) have to work harder to manage its mass.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Having had an SLSGT which was a front mid engine car of similar proportions to the 812 it too felt very different as you sit practically on the rear wheels so the turning axis is in front of you and even though the weight distribution front to back is similar to the rear mid engine cars like the 458/488 the actual weight placement in relation to the turning axis is obviously different. This changes the pendulum effect of each major weight it the car-engine,driver,passenger, seats etc
    In the 812 the 4ws shrinks the car in feel when you are on it but you cannot change the physics. Ferrari has done an outstanding job of squeezing every last bit from the setup but they like the corvette engineers have determined they have reached the performance limits on the platform
    Yes the 812VS version may be lighter and more powerful when it arrives stretching the platforms limits a bit more but with diminishing returns and much higher cost.
    The fact the 812S and GTS perform as well as they do is a testament to Ferrari passion and its engineers.
    The change from a GT type car to sports car as the line evolved to the 812 was Ferrari’s way of saying their past(GTO, Daytona etc) is still relevant to today’s drivers

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds, nimamd and Lukeylikey like this.
  18. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Shmee one was embarrassingly light, so desperate not to annoy Ferrari. Keeping the place at the table.

19. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Classy spec, I have a tiny front licence plate on mine, do you not get pulled over ? What about front speed cameras ? Love to ditch the plates but just seems to be inviting aggro ?

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    $35,000

RamsHmb likes this.
  21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Haven’t been pulled over anywhere except borders, which are now all patrolled due to COVID. So for the moment I have a very ungainly plate stuck on, overlapping the valance.

22. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    @Lukeylikey Have you driven it with roof up and the back window down much? In my 458 spider it created this crazy amazing resonance chamber in the cabin. I was wondering if you felt that?

23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No, haven’t done that yet. I’ll try it in a couple of days when we’re next back on the road.

of2worlds and Avia11 like this.
  24. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    Could you please show some photos of the luggage space in the trunk. Thanks

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Stunning car congratulations! Great and fair write up too.