Finding squeaks and rattles | FerrariChat

Finding squeaks and rattles

Discussion in '360/430' started by saudio, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a very annoying squeak/rattle behind my head in my F430 Spider with the top down, whenever I'm on rough pavement or hit a bump. Drivers side only. I've tried gently shaking things and pounding with my hand in the area with the car while not moving, and exploring the area under the engine lid too. No luck.

I feel like if there was a way to shake the car while it was sitting still, I could locate and fix the squeak. I tried googling "car shaker" and other word combos to see if it was a service maybe car dealers offered, since I assume finding squeaks and rattles must take up a lot of time. I can't seem to find anything.

If anybody here has advice on how to find and fix these little gremlins I'd love to hear it. The noises drive me nuts.

2. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Good thought but slightly wrong method.

Instead of shaking the car, and listening, find a set of "Chassis Ears" , they are clamp on mics.

Install in suspected areas and then drive until it makes the noise., if you don't pinpoint immediately, reposition the clamps, and drive again.

the basic corded sets are available on Amazon for <$100

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-06600-ChassisEAR-Electronic-Squeak/dp/B000IHIAES

3. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! I watched a couple videos on this on Youtube to see how it worked. It seems like it would be very handy for chassis noise, but I'm not sure whether it would work well for squeaks and also not sure where to clamp on in the area where the soft top is stored. But the price is so low it might be worth a try.

4. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've used them for suspension, engine, trans, brakes, interior, door jamb air leaks, anything that is a noise. You can clamp them, bolt them, even slap some duct tape, or stuff them in cracks.

I hope it works for you, NVH is my least favorite thing to diagnose. Good luck

5. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    NVH?

OK I'm convinced. I'm an audio guy anyway, I need one of these things. :)

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    noise vibration and harshness

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do you have the clear central wind shield option? Mine squeaked until I put sticky gel between it and the bodywork. The wind deflector nets in the rollover hoop can also make a noise if they aren't secured.

ditpixs likes this.
  8. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Agreed - I had to pull my wind block thing out and lock-tite the screws to solve some major rattles/noise. If this it is, holding a hand on it while driving should quiet it down. I think I spent the first few months of owning my F430 tracking down random rattles and squeaks.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  10. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I do. that's worth checking out. Thanks!

11. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Man I'd sure hate to see my doctor walk in with that thing.

Tegethoff, Apollo 11 and Smiles like this.
  12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's hilarious!

If I were an MD I'd put one around my neck and then take the patient's blood pressure and pulse!

:)

Matt

saudio likes this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Years ago, I designed a device that would shake a car at various frequencies so that squeaks and rattles could be found in a controlled manner. It was a rather simple device with four units with ball bearing supported pads connected to motors that would shake the pad with an off center mass.

The "pads" would sit in a slightly concave depression in the base to keep the wheel centered. Each unit would be around 2" off the ground and have ramps leading up to them. The car would be driven onto the pads, chocked, then the motors would start spinning at an increasing RPM, until the rattle started. Each motor could be controlled together or individually to create harmonics and a more chaotic vibration that simple sine waves. The system would be managed by a single Arduino. The motors would have to be pretty hefty and the masses probably a couple of kilos to get enough energy into the system to shake an entire car or truck at a low frequency.

14. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was surprised that such a thing doesn't seem to exist already. It would seem like an indispensable tool for a large shop. Almost any squeak or rattle can be located if you can walk around the car and listen, and touch/deaden areas that seem likely to see if the noise stops.

Build it and they will come ;-)