Air Tractor | FerrariChat

Air Tractor

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by alum04org, Jul 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    We were heading “Up North” in Michigan on I-75. Just before Gaylord’s (MI) main exit (M-32), one can look west to see what is at the Gaylord Regional Airport (KGLR). My eyes popped as I had never actually seen an Air Tractor! What I saw was two of them, on FLOATS. Of course I had to wheel in for a local look. :cool::):)

The scoop, as I met one of the pilots who invited me to walk out and view them further. (I’m not an aviator, know little about it, and love planes anyway.)

One is a two seater (can train FNG’s), other a one-seater. Pratt & Whitney PT6 turbine produces 1600 shaft H P. Eats 100 gallons per hour while working. Can scoop up 800 gallons of water in a ten second lake “dip.” Holds ~ 385 gal. of Jet A, with 370 useable. Can stay up working for 3 + hours. Can also disperse fire retardant. Contracted to U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), a contractor with fire-fighting aircraft staged across the USA incl. Alaska. Were holding here temporarily because the northern lower peninsula was/is extremely dry. Lots of U S Forest land nearby. (Personal conjecture - worthy of mention Camp Grayling, where Nat’l Guard from several states train regularly using live munitions, and have aircraft gunnery and bomb ranges.)

Swinging back by southbound today at 1 pm they were not present. We have not heard of any fires in the Lower.

These beasts must be torque monsters.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've never seen an aircraft of this type with two seats.....

3. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI

Jim - I did sort of ask about that, but more in the line of "gee it would be ridiculous fun to ride-along with you but I bet they don't permit that stuff anymore." He responded yea, most have only one seat so this one allows us to train FNG's..... (think he said "newer pilots"). :)

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    tomkatf likes this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I wonder if they've ever built two-seat crop-duster trainers. That would be an E-ticket ride!

Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Stearmans

Bob Parks likes this.
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Been there done that. Went up with one of my instructors that initiated a sign towing operation in my favorite Stearman and the first time I experienced a ground pick up was scary as hell. A somewhat shallow dive at the stakes that spread the tow line and a last minute pull up with the tow bar hook down to snatch the sign tow was a real thrill. This wasn't a 450 Stearman either, it 220HP Lycoming. Fun ride. Flew with the crop dusters many times when I was a kid.

Jacob Potts and Tcar like this.
  8. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    alum04org and Bob Parks like this.
  9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jacob Potts and tomkatf like this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hate to fly that where someone had SAMs. Or fighters.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Air Tractor tragedy: