360 - Cam Belt Adventure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Cam Belt Adventure

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin Rev'n, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Great thread. The video you posted is extremely helpful and a big reason as to why I decided to finally buy a 360. In for more photos and detail on your service as I'll be doing it myself in the not so distant future!

one4torque likes this.
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh that's just the OCD me. It's only my opinion but with the braces in place you cant really see the coil pack or plug extraction and there is a chance for FOD to go down the deep hole. Getting the rear cam covers off isn't terribly hard but would be much easier too.

The plug grabbing boot in my socket is worn out so it wouldn't hold the plug. I am replacing it now with some new high density foam but the whole job is blind as you know with the cross brace installed. I just think I would enjoy the work more if I could "see". I may not agree with this if its a bear to remove but I'm just sharing my thoughts.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, Scott is the man for doing that work. I hope I get the chance to shake his hand one day!

4. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  5. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am at the "lock the hydraulic tensioner" part of the process and in Scott's video he says he was going to attempt to lockup the cams and rotate the tensioner bearing to compress it until he could insert the pin, which I think he is showing here with the allen key at the 40 min mark in the vid. I want to do this also but I am questioning why he showed at the end of the vid the hydraulic tensioner removed and in a vice to compress? Does it need to be compressed off the car?

screen shot of Scotts Awesome Vid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So no comments to my question above had me just give it a try with the tensioner bearing. There is a lag in it's motion when you compress it so it's a good thing I saw in Scotts vid how he compressed it in the vice. The problem I had was that the piston with the through hole in it had twisted a bit and was not in line with the outer body holes! Total PITA to get that corrected.

It might not be obvious to the untrained eye, but there is not way to insert a locking pin in this puzzle!

I let the piston ride out a bit more by loosening the tension until I could get a pin in the the hole and turn it back into alignment, but it was still a bit off aand not aligning with the rear hole. I had to carefully compress the tensioner with a large clamp and work the pin through.

Success!

I also used the same type of clamp on my cam pulleys albeit much smaller size! They are Kant Twist clamps.

EastMemphis and one4torque like this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The belt is off. Why don't you just remove it from the car and compress it in a vise? That is what I would have done.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yeah I know, I guess I didn't want to look up the torque specs for the bolts! I may do that for the other side but the clamp I have was perfect. I am trying to find out if we use loctite and if so what variety on the tensioner bearing bolt. Do you know?

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    torque spec 25 Nm, for M8 bolts holding the tensioner to the engine.
    50Nm for the bolt through the tensioner bearing
    No loctite needed for the big bolt M10 (or M12, I cannot remember) but use blue one if it makes you feel better.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Loosen The tensioner bearing bolt a little, rotate the bearing with the “special tool” I use two Phillips screwdrivers in the holes and a flat head screw driver between them perpendicular.

This will increase the tension on belt and tensioner piston and this should compress the piston enough to get the pin in. I’ve never had to remove the tensioner or use a clamp to compress the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I ended up removing the bank 5-8 tensioner and doing it on the vice as described. Super easy! ...and nice to check out the part on the bench. Odd to me that the 1-4 belt was a lot harder to put on than the 5-8 belt. I had to help the 1-4 belt a lot more than the 5-8. Maybe it was due to the recess locations of the cam pulleys IDK but the difference was very noticeable. Getting close to being done with the "delicate" part of the procedure!

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    i am going the other direction now and on the re-assembly part. A re-use of the special flywheel lock tool has me being able to engage more screws this time around so there is some wiggle room there and it doesn't always fill to void the same way depending upon where you stop the rotation to position it I presume. I could get three in really easy this time and the fourth almost made it with my fingers...

13. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    one4torque likes this.
  14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a question about the CAM belt tension after running the car like Scott did in his video at 1:01:30.

I did this same thing before buttoning up the whole job and the curious gene in my made me decide to check the belt tension again before putting the covers on. They had lost a bit of tension after the engine ran for 30 seconds, and the gaps went out of spec on the hydraulic tensioners too, well one side anyway. The belts were in spec at 214hz and 206hz before firing the engine and before you ask, yes I followed the procedure and turned engine over by hand at least 6 times between tension bearing adjustments. The frequency measurement after engine run were 165hz and 166hz!

This was a bit alarming to me so I turned the engine over by hand to TDC again, in preparation to make some more adjustments but after turning the engine a couple rotations the belts came back in frequency spec and the tensioners also!

Is this normal? Thank you for any help/input/thoughts here.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Normal...YES!
    I got my answer in the Tech Section here:

https://ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147370521/

16. Abyss

Abyss Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Great summary. I'm tempting to do it myself.

17. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name: